Urea sulfate synthesis (acid concentration?)

In summary, the conversation is about the process of making urea sulfate crystals from fertilizer grade urea granules and sulfuric acid. The speaker is unsure of the concentration of acid needed and is seeking help. They have successfully made urea phosphate crystals using phosphoric acid and are trying to find the solubility of urea sulfate in water. The final product contains 25% nitrogen and 43% sulfur.
rommie
Hi all!

I am currently doing trials on different fertilizer production methods. I want to make urea sulfate crystals from fertilizer grade urea granules (46% N) and sulfuric acid. I suspect it would be a straightforward process, dissolve the urea in acid and precipitate the crystals and separate it from the mother liquor. I however have no idea what the concentration of the acid should be, I suspect it should be diluted but don't know to what percentage. I do not want to use concentrated sulfuric acid due to obvious safety reasons. Internet search has not yielded a recipe to make this either.
I did a similar experiment successfully with urea and 52% phosphoric acid, and got a good yield of urea phosphate crystals.
Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Rommie

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What is the solubility of urea sulfate in water?

I can't seem to find a value, not even on msds sheets. But it's used as a liquid fertilizer in drip irrigation so I suppose its completely water soluble.

You can't go any further without that information unless you are willing to just guess or you intend to use too much water (too dilute acid) and concentrate it until the product precipitates.

The only other info I have is that the final product contains 25% N and 43% S.
I am still searching for solubility values...:frown:

What is urea sulfate synthesis?

Urea sulfate synthesis is a chemical reaction that involves combining urea and sulfuric acid to produce urea sulfate, a white crystalline compound used in various industrial and agricultural applications.

How is urea sulfate synthesized?

Urea sulfate is typically synthesized through a two-step process. First, urea is reacted with sulfuric acid to form urea bisulfate. Then, the urea bisulfate is heated to produce urea sulfate and water as byproducts.

What is the role of acid concentration in urea sulfate synthesis?

Acid concentration plays a crucial role in urea sulfate synthesis as it affects the yield, purity, and reaction rate of the final product. Higher acid concentrations can lead to a faster reaction but may also result in impurities.

What is the recommended acid concentration for urea sulfate synthesis?

The recommended acid concentration for urea sulfate synthesis varies depending on the specific application and the desired purity of the final product. Generally, a concentration of 75-85% sulfuric acid is used for industrial purposes, while a higher purity of 95-98% is required for agricultural use.

Are there any safety considerations when working with urea sulfate synthesis?

Yes, it is important to handle urea sulfate and sulfuric acid with caution as they are corrosive substances. Protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, should be worn when handling these chemicals. It is also recommended to work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes.