Conic sections: Can focal points be outside the ellipse?

In summary: The focal points of a hyperbola are outside the curve, on the transverse axis. In summary, the focal points of an ellipse are always inside the ellipse. As the eccentricity of the ellipse approaches 1, the focal points approach the center. As the eccentricity approaches infinity, the focal points approach the endpoints. However, for a hyperbola, the focal points are located outside the curve on the transverse axis.
Bipolarity
Can an ellipse's focal points be outside the ellipse? I have tried googling this, but without any good explanations or answers.

According to my calculations, the focal points of the ellipse defined by [itex] x^{2} + \frac{y^{2}}{4} = 1 [/itex] are [itex] (-\sqrt{3},0) (\sqrt{3},0)) [/itex].

I maybe wrong of course, but does this mean that the focal points of an ellipse can indeed be outside the ellipse?

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Bipolarity said:
Can an ellipse's focal points be outside the ellipse? I have tried googling this, but without any good explanations or answers.

According to my calculations, the focal points of the ellipse defined by [itex] x^{2} + \frac{y^{2}}{4} = 1 [/itex] are [itex] (-\sqrt{3},0) (\sqrt{3},0)) [/itex].

I maybe wrong of course, but does this mean that the focal points of an ellipse can indeed be outside the ellipse?

BiP

The focal points of an ellipse are always interior. In a plane, an ellipse is the set of points that are equidistant to two points.

Bipolarity said:

BiP
Yes, that's wrong. If an ellipse is given by
[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+ \frac{y^2}{b^2}= 1[/tex]
with b> a, then the foci are at (0, c) and (0, -c) with [itex]c^2= a^2- b^2[/itex]
so the foci of this ellipse are on the y-axis, not the x-axis.

In the limit as the eccentricity goes to zero, an ellipse becomes a circle; both focal points converge to the center. In the limit as the eccentricity goes to infinity, an ellipse becomes a line segment, where the focal points are at the endpoints. In between, the focal points are always inside the ellipse.

Ben Niehoff said:
In the limit as the eccentricity goes to zero, an ellipse becomes a circle; both focal points converge to the center. In the limit as the eccentricity goes to infinity, an ellipse becomes a line segment, where the focal points are at the endpoints. In between, the focal points are always inside the ellipse.
The eccentricity of an ellipse is always between 0 and 1 so it cannot "go to infinity". As the distance between foci goes to infinity, the eccentricity goes to 1.

Eccentricity 1 gives a parabola, eccentricity greater than 1 is a hyperbola.

1. What are conic sections?

Conic sections are a type of geometric shape that can be obtained by intersecting a cone with a plane.

2. What are the three main types of conic sections?

The three main types of conic sections are circles, ellipses, and hyperbolas.

3. Can focal points be outside the ellipse?

Yes, focal points can be outside the ellipse. This happens when the eccentricity of the ellipse is greater than 1. In this case, the ellipse becomes a hyperbola and the focal points are located outside the curve.

4. What is the significance of focal points in conic sections?

The focal points in conic sections are important because they help define the shape of the curve. In an ellipse, the sum of the distances from any point on the curve to the two focal points remains constant. In a hyperbola, the difference between the distances from any point on the curve to the two focal points remains constant.

5. How are conic sections used in real life?

Conic sections have many practical applications in fields such as astronomy, engineering, and architecture. For example, they are used to design satellite orbits, reflectors for telescopes, and bridges. They can also be used to create aesthetically pleasing designs in art and architecture.