Understanding how it works vs being able to do a problem?

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Works
In summary, the speaker is questioning whether they should prioritize understanding how to solve a problem or understanding why the solution works in their recent math experience. They request more information about the subject they are studying in order to better understand the question.
Tyrion101
Often times in my recent math experience I can learn how to do a problem, but it seems like the understanding of why it works that way only comes much later, sometimes when I've moved onto stuff that uses it as part of the problem solving process, and I was wondering, should I be concerned more with the understanding of how to do the problem or the understanding of why it works that way first? I hope my question makes sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
What?

Maybe what you ask could be better understood if you tell what your recent Math experience is. Are you working with and studying just Numbers, or are you learning about something of which its understanding depends on Mathematics?

What specifically ARE you studying? Do you have precise examples?

1. What is the difference between understanding how a concept works and being able to solve a problem?

Understanding how a concept works means having a deep comprehension of the underlying principles and mechanisms that govern it. Being able to solve a problem, on the other hand, refers to the ability to apply that understanding in a practical way to find a specific solution. In other words, understanding is the foundation for problem-solving.

2. Is it possible to solve a problem without fully understanding the concept behind it?

Yes, it is possible to solve a problem without fully understanding the concept behind it. This is often seen in rote learning, where a person memorizes a set of steps to solve a problem without truly understanding the rationale behind those steps. However, this approach may limit the person's ability to apply the concept in different scenarios or to adapt to new problems.

3. How important is it to understand the underlying principles in problem-solving?

Understanding the underlying principles is crucial in problem-solving. It allows for a deeper understanding of the problem and the ability to apply the concept in various situations. It also enables a person to identify and troubleshoot errors or mistakes in the problem-solving process.

4. Can understanding how something works be more valuable than being able to solve a problem?

Both understanding how something works and being able to solve a problem are valuable skills. However, understanding the principles behind a concept can be more valuable in the long run as it provides a strong foundation for problem-solving and the ability to adapt to new situations.

5. How can one improve their understanding of a concept?

To improve understanding of a concept, one can engage in active learning methods such as summarizing, explaining it to others, and applying it in different contexts. Asking questions and seeking clarification can also help in gaining a deeper understanding of a concept.