Work definition in thermodynamics

In summary, the first equation should be used for processes at constant pressure, the second for processes at constant temperature, and the third for processes where the volume is changing.
ricard.py
Hello,
I have been self-learning Thermodynamics and I am having a bit of trouble with calculating the work in different circumstances.

Along the lectures we have come up with three different equations for work
1) W = pΔV
2) W = nRTln(V2/V1)
3) W = CvΔT

So my questions are:
1) which ones must be used in which type of thermodynamic process? For instance, the third is used in adiabatic processes, but the second
2) If using the second formula in a reaction that changes the temperature along it, we have to take as T the initial temperature, the last temperature, the difference..?
2) Accoding to the first equation, if V is constant, then W=0. However, according to the last formula the work only depends on T and we can get work done without modifying the volume. Why this is not contradictory?

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Formula 1) should be used for processes at constant pressure. Formula 2) is used for processes at constant temperature. Formula 3) is wrong. It should read Q = CvΔT, where Q is the heat exchanged in a constant volume process.

Last edited:
Ok thanks!
Concerning the third equation I forgot to say that it is in a context of a diabatic expansion (q=0). Therefore, ΔU=CvΔT=W.

Then in a diabatic expansion, we can have work only dependent on the T and not on the V. How does this not contradict the "classical" definition of W=pΔV?

ricard.py said:
Hello,
I have been self-learning Thermodynamics and I am having a bit of trouble with calculating the work in different circumstances.

Along the lectures we have come up with three different equations for work
1) W = pΔV
2) W = nRTln(V2/V1)
3) W = CvΔT

So my questions are:
1) which ones must be used in which type of thermodynamic process? For instance, the third is used in adiabatic processes, but the second
There is no sense in memorizing formulae. These all derive from the first law: Q = ΔU + W (where Q is the heat flow into the system, ΔU is the change in internal energy of the system and W is the work done BY the system that undergoes a change in thermodynamic states).

The first law applies between any two thermodynamic equilibrium states regardless of the process followed in moving between those two states. However it can be rather difficult to calculate these quantities if the thermodynamic properties are undefined during the process.

In the case of an expansion at constant pressure - where, for example, the work is done against constant atmospheric pressure - the work done BY the system is just W = ∫PdV = P∫V = PΔV. So Q = nCPΔT = ΔU + PΔV

In the case of an adiabatic expansion, Q = 0 so ΔU + W = 0 which means W = -ΔU. If you are dealing with an ideal gas where ΔU = nCVΔT then W = -nCVΔT

In the case of an isothermal compression of an ideal gas where P = nRT/V, the work done in compressing the gas ( -W = work done ON the system) is:

-W = - ∫PdV = - ∫(nRT/V)dV = -nRT∫dV/V = nRTln(V1/V2)

AM

Last edited:
duplicate post

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of work in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, work is defined as the energy transferred to or from a system due to a force acting on the system over a distance. It is a form of energy that can change the state of the system and is typically measured in joules (J).

2. How is work related to other thermodynamic quantities?

Work is closely related to other thermodynamic quantities, such as heat and internal energy. It is a form of energy transfer, similar to heat, but is associated with macroscopic forces and displacements, while heat is associated with microscopic energy transfer between particles. The change in internal energy of a system is equal to the sum of the work done on the system and the heat added to the system.

3. What is the formula for calculating work in thermodynamics?

The formula for calculating work in thermodynamics is W = F * d, where W is work, F is the force exerted on the system, and d is the distance over which the force is applied. This formula only applies to systems in which the force and displacement are in the same direction. For other systems, the work can be calculated by integrating the force over the displacement.

4. Can work be negative in thermodynamics?

Yes, work can be negative in thermodynamics. This occurs when the force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for work. Negative work can also be interpreted as work being done on the system by an external force, rather than the system doing work on its surroundings.

5. How is work represented on a thermodynamic diagram?

On a thermodynamic diagram, work is represented by the area under the curve on a pressure-volume (PV) diagram or the area enclosed by the curve on an enthalpy-entropy (HS) diagram. This area represents the work done on or by the system during a thermodynamic process. The sign of the work is determined by the direction of the curve and the direction of the process.