Formula relating angular displacement and tension.

In summary: Yes, I am measuring the displacement of a pointer on a dial gauge and trying to find a formula relating these two values.
rambharath94
Hello guys,

Iam doing a project to find the tension of timing belt using a dial gauge indicator,but i can't find a formula relating the displacement of the pointer and the tension (eg: 5 deg of dislplacement of pointer = 10 units of tension).Please help me...

Physics news on Phys.org
You also need to know the force that causes the displacement and the distance between the contact points on the two pulleys. Then draw a force diagram (triangle). The belt isn't accelerating so the vector forces sum to zero.

Actually there are no 2 pulleys present here ,there is a plunger and gear (rack and pinion mechanism) as the plunger moves up the gear starts to rotate giving the value of tension,Now how do i need to apply your formula for this?

The normal method for measuring the static tension in a timing belt is to apply a known force, measure the deflection and apply some trigonometry...or buy a device that does it all for you.

Force_Deflection.jpg

Image from here..
http://www.pfeiferindustries.com/installation/timing-belt-tensioning.html

That's not applicable to a rigid rack and pinion so you will have to tell us more about the system and what exactly you are trying to measure. For example if there is nothing stopping the gear rotating I don't see there will be any tension in the rack.

Got a photo or drawing?

rambharath94 said:
Actually there are no 2 pulleys present here ,there is a plunger and gear (rack and pinion mechanism) as the plunger moves up the gear starts to rotate giving the value of tension,Now how do i need to apply your formula for this?

Are you talking about the system you are measuring or the measuring device?

I have a feeling you are talking about the measuring device and I was talking about the system. My guess is the device you have measures tension and displacement is that correct?

What is the formula for relating angular displacement and tension?

The formula for relating angular displacement and tension is T = Iα, where T is the tension in the string, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration.

How is angular displacement related to tension in a system?

Angular displacement and tension are directly proportional, meaning that as the angular displacement increases, so does the tension in the string.

Can the formula for angular displacement and tension be applied to all systems?

Yes, the formula T = Iα can be applied to any system that involves rotational motion, such as a rotating wheel or a swinging pendulum.

What is the unit of measurement for angular displacement and tension?

Angular displacement is measured in radians (rad), while tension is measured in Newtons (N).

How is the moment of inertia related to angular displacement and tension?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. As the moment of inertia increases, it becomes more difficult to change the object's angular displacement, resulting in an increase in tension in the system.