Finding the location of a kinematic particle in motion based on time.

In summary, the conversation discussed the development of a method for calculating the position of a particle in a 2D Cartesian coordinate system using kinematic motion. The starting values for the particle are based on time and the particle is assumed to move forward and backward with rotation for turning. The formula for calculating the position of the particle was provided for when it is moving in a straight line or perfect circle, but difficulty arises when the particle has forward or angular acceleration while turning, resulting in a spiral path of motion. Assistance was requested in finding a solution for this scenario.
Kaanin25
Hello there, I have a problem that I've been trying to solve for some time now and I find myself struggling.

I am trying to develop a method of calculating the position of a particle using kinematic motion in a 2D Cartesian coordinates system given a set of starting values based on how much time has passed. In my case the particle is being used to represent a vehicle such as a car or otherwise that moves only forward and backward with no sideways motion and uses rotation to turn.

Just for further clarification I'm going to point out that given the above description, the rotation of the particle is important as it defines what is "forward" and "backward" for the particle and as such changes the line of motion.

The given values I have to work with are: [itex]v_i[/itex] Initial Velocity, [itex]a_f[/itex] Forward Acceleration, [itex]ω[/itex] Angular Velocity, [itex]\alpha[/itex] Angular Acceleration, and [itex]t[/itex] Time.

The starting coordinates and rotation of the particle are all assumed to be starting at zero.
[itex]x = 0[/itex], [itex]y = 0[/itex], [itex]\theta = 0[/itex]

If the particle is traveling in a straight line with no angular velocity or acceleration, calculating the position of the particle is easy using the kinematic formula for displacement.
[itex]d = v_i\times t + 1/2\times a_f\times t^2[/itex]

And if the particle is traveling in a perfect circle with no acceleration it's not so bad because I can find the circumference, radius, and origin of the circle just looking at the forward and angular velocities and find its place on the circle based on that.

But if the particle has a forward acceleration or angular acceleration while turning, it is no longer a circle but a spiral path of motion. This is where I am failing to find a solution.

Any assistance anyone could lend would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance, I will be back to check this post tomorrow.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't know if I get what you ask, but if you know

[tex]\vec{a}(t) = a_x(t)\vec{i} + a_y(t)\vec{j}[/tex]

(i.e. if you know the acceleration vector at each time)

and you also know

[tex]\vec{r}(t_0)[/tex] and [tex]\vec{v}(t_0)[/tex]

(i.e. the position vector and velocity vector at one given time instant t_0 )

then you know [tex]\vec{r}(t)[/tex] and [tex]\vec{v}(t)[/tex] at any time t.

Because:

[tex]\vec{v}(t) = \vec{v}(t_0) + \int_{t_0}^t \vec{a}(s)ds[/tex]

and

[tex]\vec{r}(t) = \vec{r}(t_0) + \vec{v}(t_0) (t-t_0) + \int_{t_0}^t\left(\int_{t_0}^s \vec{a}(w)dw\right)ds[/tex]

1. How do you find the location of a kinematic particle in motion based on time?

To find the location of a kinematic particle in motion based on time, you can use the equation: x(t) = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2. This equation takes into account the initial position (x0), initial velocity (v0), acceleration (a), and time (t) to calculate the final position (x).

2. What is a kinematic particle?

A kinematic particle is a point particle that has motion, but has no size or mass. It is often used in physics to simplify the study of the motion of objects.

3. What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause the motion, while dynamics is the study of motion and the forces that cause it. In other words, kinematics focuses on describing the motion of objects, while dynamics focuses on explaining why objects move the way they do.

4. What are the units for position, velocity, acceleration, and time in kinematics?

The units for position are typically meters (m), velocity is meters per second (m/s), acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s2), and time is seconds (s).

5. How is kinematics used in real-life applications?

Kinematics is used in various real-life applications, such as designing vehicles, predicting the motion of objects in sports, and understanding the movement of celestial bodies. It is also used in engineering, robotics, and animation to simulate and control the motion of objects.