Energy in damped harmonic motion

In summary, the book explains the derivation of the energy and differential equation of motion for a damped harmonic oscillator, and shows how the relation between the two can be understood through the application of Newton's second law and the concept of external forces.
PsychonautQQ
Hey PF,
my book either got sloppy in a derivation or I am not connecting two very obvious dots.
It gives the energy of the damped harmonic oscillator as
E = (1/2)mv^2 + (1/2)kx^2
then takes the derivative with respect to time to get dE/dt.

then it gives the differential equation of motion as
ma + kx = -cv

okay cool I'm following so far...
then it says with this equation of motion we know that
dE/dt = -cv^2

what am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ff= -cv is the damping (friction) force.
dE/dt is the rate of dissipation of the mechanical energy.
Or the power dissipated due to the action of the friction force.

PsychonautQQ said:
Hey PF,
my book either got sloppy in a derivation or I am not connecting two very obvious dots.
It gives the energy of the damped harmonic oscillator as
E = (1/2)mv^2 + (1/2)kx^2
then takes the derivative with respect to time to get dE/dt.
Which your text should have as ##\dot E = v(ma + kx)##.

then it gives the differential equation of motion as
ma + kx = -cv
That's just a rearrangement of Newton's second law, with the external forces being the spring, linearly directed against displacement, and drag, linearly directed against motion. Mathematically, ##F=ma = -kx - cv##. Adding ##kx## to both sides yields ##ma+kx=-cv##. Substituting that result back into the expression for the time derivative of energy yields ##\dot E = -cv^2##.

1. What is damped harmonic motion?

Damped harmonic motion is a type of oscillatory motion in which a system experiences a force that opposes its motion and causes it to gradually lose energy. This results in the amplitude of the motion decreasing over time until it eventually comes to a stop.

2. How does damping affect the energy in harmonic motion?

Damping affects the energy in harmonic motion by reducing the amplitude of the oscillations. As the system loses energy due to the damping force, the amplitude of the motion decreases and the energy is dissipated in the form of heat or other forms of energy.

3. What is the role of energy in damped harmonic motion?

Energy is an important factor in damped harmonic motion as it determines the behavior of the system. The initial energy in the system determines the amplitude of the oscillations and the rate at which the energy is dissipated determines the rate at which the amplitude decreases.

4. What is the difference between underdamped, critically damped, and overdamped systems?

In underdamped systems, the damping force is relatively small and the system undergoes oscillations with a gradually decreasing amplitude. In critically damped systems, the damping force is just enough to bring the system to rest without any oscillation. In overdamped systems, the damping force is strong and the system comes to rest quickly without any oscillation.

5. How is energy conserved in damped harmonic motion?

In damped harmonic motion, energy is not fully conserved as it is dissipated due to the damping force. However, the total energy (kinetic + potential) remains constant and is converted into other forms of energy such as heat or sound. In the absence of external forces, the total energy would remain constant and the system would continue to oscillate indefinitely.