Pick Your Favorite Activity: A Public Poll

• Thread starter pattylou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Activity
In summary, Evo and Gokul enjoy different activities that are not on the list. Gokul enjoys horseback riding and Evo enjoys reading, while Evo and Gokul both enjoy sex.

What are some of your favorite activities?

• Total voters
pattylou
So I'm bored. Pick an activity or two that you like from the list. This is a public poll.

Physics news on Phys.org
I also like gardening and horseback riding.

And actually I hate cooking, but only because I have to do it every day. Otherwise I love it.

Fishing, golf, chess, solving problems, small engines(two-strokes), computer games, PF forums...the list goes on but that's a start.

By surfing I hope u ment Internet surfing :-)

Evo hasn't told what she meant by "other".

What is that "other" she prizes above all else?

Neither has Gokul.
What are they hiding?

I enjoy reading, and the other that i enjoy doing is playing soccer!

Agreed, Andy.
Nothing is as refreshing after reading a good book than to play about with sweaty males.

Surfing, as in surfing the internet?

Other favorite activities include sleeping, watching Ghost Hunters, online shopping, hanging out by myself, listening to music, showering and drinking starbucks coffee.

Last edited:
Sure, surfing the internet.

Not what I meant, but it works for me.

Yesterday my horse jumped. He wasn't supposed to. He was supposed to trot over the bar.

I've never jumped on a horse before. It was fun. Really fun. I mean it! I'm pretty sure (virtually certain) I looked just like this:

http://las.new-england.net.au/images/20041127-022-jumper.jpg

And not like this:

http://absolutestockphoto.com/albums/userpics/10007/normal_Absolute_7_124.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
Neither has Gokul.
What are they hiding?
My other is reading your posts dear Arildno. :smile:

I used to enjoy backpacking, surfing, dirt bikes [motorcycles], running, horseback riding, and a few other activities like playing frisbee, but my body fell apart and I can't find all of the pieces. So now I just work. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Okay, I enjoy doing research on various subjects and obviously I enjoy PF. Then there are the projects such as the ongoing home remodeling chores. Not to mention that keeping up with five acres is no small challenge. Also, I do have one pet theory that I've played with for about 20 years now. I just keep waiting to publish for fear of the widespread panic and rioting in the streets that will follow. :uhh:

other: Golf, lockpicking, kayaking.

Football, golf, floorball, poker.

Going to the gym/working-out/regular exercise.

o:)

Reading, eating, travelling, and I chose other because I like to bake, not necessarily just cook (I enjoy preparing a huge feast for friends, but cannot stand the day-to-day cooking for survival), and also enjoy just hanging out with friends and going to movies. I was supposed to go to the movies today, but I got lost trying to find the theater. :cry: When a road does sort of a U-shape on a map so that both directions look like they go West, and you see a sign with a choice of North or South, which way are you supposed to go? :confused: It didn't help that the map on the mall's website is just plain wrong. They showed the road leading to the mall as the convergence of two other roads (both numbers), but it's not. I got another map after getting lost and finding my way back home to figure out where I went wrong, and the two roads go in completely different directions as you head toward the mall. :mad: Of course I was on the wrong one of the two. :frown: I didn't have a chance.

Swimming. Especially outdoors. Especially in a natural body of water.

Oops ! I picked more than a couple.

arildno said:
Neither has Gokul.
What are they hiding?
Seeing that there was a glaringly obvious omission in the list of 'favorite activities' I assumed the "other" was some kind of euphemistic substitute for it ! :wink:

I like spending time with my gf.

I also like collecting coins, and doing some math problems of some sort.

Am I the only one who likes sex? (which is also a good calorie burner)

I didn't vote other for some reason, but I also enjoy going out with friends (generally down the pub, but where I go isn't really the important part) and recently I've been getting into photography.

Gokul43201 said:
Seeing that there was a glaringly obvious omission in the list of 'favorite activities' I assumed the "other" was some kind of euphemistic substitute for it ! :wink:
I know. I thought about mentioning philately directly, but decided to play it safe. I'm glad you knew what "other" meant.

oh ya, I remember other

gravenewworld said:
Am I the only one who likes sex?
Hello ? Didn't read all the posts by folks saying they like riding, sleeping, playing with sweaty males, spending time... and "other" stuff ?

I enjoy other, but I'm having a hard time remembering the last time I got to do it.

We need a PF personals forum! :biggrin: :tongue2:

EnumaElish said:
Swimming. Especially outdoors. Especially in a natural body of water.
I hate swimming. The rocks are always coming at you too fast, especially when you're swimming with one arm, dragging a boat behind you. If you let go the boat and your paddle so can make the shore between the rocks, you're lucky if you can find them the same day - and naturally, both will wind up on the opposite shore than the one you're on.

'Other' for me is soccer, whitewater rafting, and kayaking (but, obviously, I'm not very good at the last).

BobG said:
'Other' for me is ... whitewater rafting, and kayaking
Ah ! I can see why you live in Colorado.

The nearest whitewater from my place is a good 4 hr drive away (SE Penn) and the really good portions are about 5 hours away (New Valley Gorge, WV). That essentially rules out a day trip. :frown:

Moonbear said:
We need a PF personals forum! :biggrin: :tongue2:
You mean, the "physics" in "physics forums" stands for, like, abstract physics?! As opposed to "getting physical"?

Uh-oh, someone must post a sticky about this! :smile:

BobG said:
I hate swimming. The rocks are always coming at you too fast, especially when you're swimming with one arm, dragging a boat behind you.
Have you tried swimming without being the tugboat? It may be a whole new experience for you! Maybe try to find a sandy (not rocky) place as well.

Gokul43201 said:
Ah ! I can see why you live in Colorado.
The nearest whitewater from my place is a good 4 hr drive away (SE Penn) and the really good portions are about 5 hours away (New Valley Gorge, WV). That essentially rules out a day trip. :frown:
Actually, it's the other way around. I live in Colorado because of work. I started rafting and kayaking because it just makes sense to take advantage of the area I live in.

But it is a nice place to live. Lots of hiking areas within less than an hour's drive. Lots of back roads for Jeep trips. Plenty of nice weekend camping trip locations.

I forgot to mention disc golf under my 'others'. There's a heavily wooded course just on the other side of the ridge from me, so I've started playing that as something to do while drinking my morning coffee on the weekends.

Reading for sure. Sex for sure. Shooting (when I can own guns again). PF for sure. More sex. Driving, when I get my license back. Flying (can't afford it). League (or casual) pool and darts. Being a bar-fly. Watching TV. A couple of computer games such as mah-jongg solitaire. NTN when it was available in town.

Danger said:
Reading for sure. Sex for sure. Shooting (when I can own guns again). PF for sure. More sex. Driving, when I get my license back. Flying (can't afford it). League (or casual) pool and darts. Being a bar-fly. Watching TV. A couple of computer games such as mah-jongg solitaire. NTN when it was available in town.
I spent a year on a remote assignment to Alaska. By the end of the year I was incredibly good at pool. Our little outpost had a 4-person pool team entered in a league (each bar in the general area had a team). Between one of the firemen and I we were a lock to win virtually every match, since it was highly unlikely we would lose more than one game between us and it was also unlikely that the other two members of the team couldn't win at least two games in their matches. Alas, that's the only time I've ever played so much pool.

I also became a pretty good defensemen in floor hockey (you can't generally ice skate outside in the winter in Alaska. It's too cold - you'll freeze your butt off). I even scored a hat trick once (unfortunately, only two were into the opponent's goal, but when you're close to scoring a hat trick, you do what you got to do.)

Edit: I was never as strange as the parent of one my daughter's friends. He became incredibly good at ping-pong while on a remote assignment. He'd play himself - both sides of the table. Incredibly impressive in a way, but really, really strange.

BobG said:
He'd play himself - both sides of the table. Incredibly impressive in a way, but really, really strange.
I do that with darts, right against left hands, but this dude must have been spookily fast. Did he stand in the middle and switch hands, or actually run from end to end?:bugeye:
We might have been in the same pool league, just different categories. We're VNEA, and now also sanctioned for BCA. Our teams used to be 5 player 15 game format; now it's 3 player and 15 games. Finals are in Vegas at the end of May/beginning of June.

Danger said:
I do that with darts, right against left hands, but this dude must have been spookily fast. Did he stand in the middle and switch hands, or actually run from end to end?:bugeye:
We might have been in the same pool league, just different categories. We're VNEA, and now also sanctioned for BCA. Our teams used to be 5 player 15 game format; now it's 3 player and 15 games. Finals are in Vegas at the end of May/beginning of June.
Our league consisted of the bars from Nenana to Healy. We also had a basketball league (which I didn't play) that covered the same area. I remember the first time the Nenana Native Tribe came to play one of the military teams - you had the teenage kid, his dad, and grandpa and a couple of others making up a pretty motley looking group. One look and you knew it was going to be a blow out. It was - just the opposite way I would have thought. I felt sorry for our guys. Those other guys were good!

The worst moment in the game was the start of the second half. One of the Nenana players seemed a little puzzled and had to check with the ref which basket each team was shooting at. The ref confirmed that they were, indeed, switching baskets, same as every game. So the player shrugged his shoulders, tossed the ball into one of his players standing under the basket, who tossed in an easy lay-up while our players stood at the opposite end of the court by the same basket they defended in the first half. Talk about a team being totally befuddled! I think that was the moment they gave up on any hopes of a second half comeback.

We also had a volleyball league that I did play in. We had a great championship match. The team we were playing had a woman schoolteacher as their star. The match turned when she caught her legs on a team mate left behind on Earth and landed on her head, forcing her to leave the game. Then, with her team losing in the third and decisive game, she leaps up from her stretcher, throws the ice aside, and re-enters the game. We just barely survived their comeback. (We were just lucky the Healy team had to withdraw at mid-season. We wouldn't even had made the championship if they stayed in the league).

Last edited:
My favorite pastimes included plants, classic music and poetry, cultivating bonsai, art, painting and air brushing, specializing in portraits (I can be hired), but then somehow I got a scientific missions and I sort of dropped all of them.