What gadget could you not live without?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, gadgets play a significant role in our daily lives, both at home and at work. Some examples of gadgets that people feel they couldn't do without include a Swiss Army knife, a terminal screw driver, a computer, a Gerber multi-tool, a 10" ViseGrip with wire-cutter insert, a flashlight, a coffee maker, and a flash memory stick. While some may debate whether certain items qualify as gadgets, it is clear that these tools and technologies have become essential to many individuals.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Which one could you not do without ? at home mine is a swiss army knife,
at work it is my terminal screw driver that lights up when a circuit is live, can
test a fuse, and even lights up by micro waves.

Physics news on Phys.org
But tester, Fluke wire tester, Mcafee sniffer, and my laptop...

I don't know if this qualifies as a gadget, but the only technology I'm really dependent upon is the computer. I barely even use my phone anymore.

SpaceTiger said:
I don't know if this qualifies as a gadget, but the only technology I'm really dependent upon is the computer. I barely even use my phone anymore.

I guess a computer is a gaddget, but you should phone friends :smile:

My Gerber multi-tool, I seem to use it several times a week.

hypatia said:
My Gerber multi-tool, I seem to use it several times a week.

I can not resist, what is a Gerber multi tool ? :smile:

is Google a gaddget?

wolram said:
I guess a computer is a gaddget, but you should phone friends :smile:

Why? Most of them have computers as well, so I can easily contact them that way. Besides, many of them are right down the hall. :smile:

http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Multi-Plier-600-Pro-Scout-needlenose-07563.htm" [Broken]mine is here

Last edited by a moderator:
There are none that I couldn't do without, because so many of them overlap in uses. If I had to pick only one to keep, it would probably be 10" ViseGrips w/ wire-cutter insert. (Unless you count the toilet as a 'gadget'.)

Danger said:
There are none that I couldn't do without, because so many of them overlap in uses. If I had to pick only one to keep, it would probably be 10" ViseGrips w/ wire-cutter insert. (Unless you count the toilet as a 'gadget'.)

There are gadgets for toilets:

http://www.sandman.com/intimst.html

hypatia said:
http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Multi-Plier-600-Pro-Scout-needlenose-07563.htm" [Broken]mine is here
That's some very cool stuff. Bit pricey, though. That's the sort of tool that should be automatically included in any life raft, tethered to the raft so you can't drop it in the drink. I've read several accounts of people having to take to the rafts and they always find they don't have the tools to do important things. Fishing gear should be another staple: lines, lures, spears and nets.

a lighter - if this is a crude gadget, then it is a must for me. (at least its better than a match or two sets of stones..hahaha!)

...and GOD said let there be light :)

Mechanical pencils (specifically with .5mm sized graphite) have got to be one of the best inventions ever.

I got mine as a gift a few years ago, its really lasted well for the punnishment I give it.

yomamma said:
is Google a gaddget?

No, it is more like an extension of your body :smile:

hypatia said:
I got mine as a gift a few years ago, its really lasted well for the punnishment I give it.
I've had mine going on 10+ years and despite what I've put it through, it's still going. A few holes in the belt pouch, but it hasn't dropped it yet.
Perhaps https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=70351&highlight=gerber"should be linked here.

LED Flashlight

I just bought one. I'm impressed. After all, it's just eight little LED's.

My coffee maker.
In addition, mastering its subtle technology is a daily challenge I am occasionally up to.

After casette tapes, floppy disks, 2.5" diskettes, Zip drives, and even CD-R's, I love more than anything my 1Gig Sandisk flash memory stick.

Notice how I did not say "punch cards." I'm not THAT old.

Chi Meson said:
Notice how I did not say "punch cards." I'm not THAT old.
:grumpy: ..

1. What makes a gadget essential for daily life?

A gadget can be considered essential for daily life if it serves a practical purpose and makes tasks easier and more efficient. It should also be reliable and durable, able to withstand daily use without breaking or malfunctioning.

2. Are there any gadgets that are universally important for everyone?

While everyone's needs may differ, there are certain gadgets that are commonly used and can benefit people in various ways. These include smartphones, laptops, and fitness trackers, among others.

3. Can gadgets improve our overall quality of life?

Yes, gadgets have the potential to improve our quality of life in many ways. They can help us stay connected with others, manage our daily tasks, and provide entertainment and convenience. Additionally, gadgets such as medical devices can improve our health and well-being.

4. Are there any negative effects of relying too heavily on gadgets?

While gadgets can greatly enhance our lives, relying too heavily on them can have negative effects. For example, excessive screen time can lead to eye strain and technology addiction. It is important to use gadgets in moderation and balance them with other aspects of life.

5. What should be considered when choosing a gadget?

When choosing a gadget, it is important to consider its purpose and whether it aligns with your needs. Other factors to consider include cost, brand reputation, and user reviews. It is also important to research the device's features and specifications to ensure it meets your expectations.