Things that make different american people

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
In summary: This is not true! Breast implants we're first done by the Japanese in 1940's by injecting saline solution or goat’s milk into women's breasts and American's improve them in the 1950's using...chocolate!?
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Each time I can I will try to post here one thing I think makes different americans from the rest of the humanity, in particular from Europe.

Let's start by putting down some of them:

i) americans make everything big. Big hamburgers, Big buildings, Big parks, Big roads, Big cars, Big engines, Big trucks, Big steaks, Big a$$es of the ladies, Big aircrafts, Big cities, Big universities.

ii) As far as my experience is concerned, they seem to be more polite than europeans or spanish (from Spain) people. You always hear an excuse me for some small offense which would be otherwise ignored in Spain by every people. As far as I have stayed here I have never heard a swear word. On the contrary it is usual to say "Me cago en..." in Spain. Also, here you ask for some street and the gay will tell you a story for 5 minutes or so, while in spain you will be fortunate if you find someone to help you in the street.

iii) They are happy with small and stupid things. And that's the best fact that can happen to a person, be happy with small things like watching a baseball game (so boring!) while eating a hot dog or going with all the family to an airshow, or merely going to the market. They enjoy small things when they are together with their families. On the contrary, in Spain everyone isn't happy with nothing. We are not as "familiar" as you are, and we don't enjoy the small things as you. For instance, your baseball games are horrible, and for me has not got any interest at all. The set up of the spectacle is very much poor than the set up of a Real Madrid-Barcelona soccer match in Spain. Our soccer matches are more spectacular for sure, but the truth is that we don't give the real value to the things we own in Spain, because the main problem of spain are the spaniards themselves.

To be continued...

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice to hear that you are having good experiences! It is also very nice to hear someone saying something nice about Americans for a change.

And I do not have a big a$$. :grumpy:

Heck yah, that's what you Europeans got right... not liking baseball. I can't understand it at all.

Pengwuino said:
Heck yah, that's what you Europeans got right... not liking baseball. I can't understand it at all.
Yay! Something I can agree with Pengwuino about! :biggrin:

Clausius, I'm glad you're having good experiences in the U.S.!

Happy you are still having a good stay.
And by the way you might want to stay away from New York.:wink:

Evo said:
And I do not have a big a$$.:grumpy:
We're very sorry about your posterior deficiency Evo.:frown:
You're still gorgeous none the less.:biggrin:

Clausius2 said:
iii) They are happy with small and stupid things.

This is so misguided I barely even know where to start. "Small" and "stupid" are obviously dependent on cultural perspective.

juvenal said:
This is so misguided I barely even know where to start. "Small" and "stupid" are obviously dependent on cultural perspective.

I've seen little children go on and on and on about how happy they are they found a rock on the ground, true story...

That's all you got?

I can come up with a bigger (and more accurate) list than that just off the top of my head. And I was only there for 3 years when I was in middle school.

moose said:
I've seen little children go on and on and on about how happy they are they found a rock on the ground, true story...

Childrens opinions are worthless :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Clausius2 said:
americans make everything big. Big hamburgers, Big buildings, Big parks, Big roads, Big cars, Big engines, Big trucks, Big steaks, Big a$$es of the ladies, Big aircrafts, Big cities, Big universities.
Don't forget the big boobs! I think breast implants were an American invention.

Can't you imagine your stereotypical boorish and obnoxious middle-aged American tourist and his wife coming back from their European vacation, and him telling all his buddies: "Let me tell you, them Europeans really like to do small and stupid things"?

moose said:

Yeah - only an American child would do that.

lol go to google.com and type in "french military victories" and click "I'm Feeling Lucky."

Evo said:
And I do not have a big a$$. :grumpy:

Nor do I - well, most of the time. Darn chocolate...

Mk said:
Don't forget the big boobs! I think breast implants were an American invention.

Breast implants we're first done by the Japanese in 1940's by injecting saline solution or goat’s milk into women's breasts and American's improve them in the 1950's using silicone.

FYI:smile:

Smurf said:
That's all you got?
I can come up with a bigger (and more accurate) list than that just off the top of my head. And I was only there for 3 years when I was in middle school.

Dude, he's been here for like three weeks. Give the guy a chance.

To juvenal, he's just saying that Americans enjoy the little things in life, which certainly is a big part of American culture. Witness the writing of Walt Whitman and the transcendentalists, or the catch phrase "stop to smell the roses." Clausius may have worded it a little awkwardly, but I don't think he was insulting anybody. His grasp of English is still not perfect - cut the guy some slack. (Besides, even he admits that Spaniards are rude.)

I just had another bowl of my homegrown popcorn, and I'm still grinning about it actually popping.

So, I like little things. But I think the Spanish tend to be more (extended) family-oriented and every bit as warm as americans, at least the few I met. Very nice people, absolutely lovely.

I phoned a friend in Girona, today, Clausius. Is that anywhere near your home?

I love the little things in life. It's ridiculous how little will make me happy - oh, and baseball definitely makes me happy. Clausius, you should go watch The Natural and Field of Dreams, two classic American films about baseball. As corny as it is when Kevin Costner and James Earl Jones start waxing poetic, they are correct. The smell of fresh-cut grass, the feel of oiled leather, and the crack of a bat hitting the ball; there is nothing like it. And there is no greater feeling than the one you get after throwing a perfect 12 to 6 curveball.

I'm sure the Spanish are cool, but he's the one that said they are rude (though he should visit New York/New Jersey if he thinks all Americans are helpful on the street). Personally, I'll always harbor a grudge for their ending of multiple Native American civilizations, but let us leave the past in the past. Siestas are cool.

loseyourname said:
Does no one get my sense of humour? :cry:

loseyourname said:
Siestas are cool.
I thought those were a central american tradition (word?), not spain spanish.

I think one of the great illusions had by people from other countries about the US is the concept of an "American culture". We don't really have one in the sense of most countries. We are so young, and immigration is not only how we began but it has never stopped. Over the years I have known people from probably, gosh...maybe thirty or forty countries - but all Americans. In fact I would bet that most people here are between 0th[illegal] and 4th generation Americans. From there we're all Europeans, Africans, Asians, Latinos, Middle Easterners, Australians, Inuits, you name it, they're here, and with each of them comes their own culture.

And I for one don't watch sports of any kind. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Clausius2: I'm glad you're having a good time and a good experience, enjoy and see the sights! San Diego and San Fran were my two favorite places when I was out that way (for 6 years). It really depends on what city you're in, some are just known for "being rude".

Evo: All your pictures I've seen are from the shoulders up how were we to know :rofl:

As for Baseball: IMHO if you don't get or miss the sublte guessing game/mind game/battle going on between the pitcher and the batter you miss about (at least) 50% of what's going on in a baseball game. Alot of it's not overt, up front and in your face like say American football or hockey (and even they have some sublte nuances about them).

If you don't like it, you don't like it. No big deal, there's plenty of other sports out there to see and enjoy (we even have football (soccer))!

Baseball is ok, but cricket rules :-) Especially 4 day test matches muuhhaaa

loseyourname said:
(Besides, even he admits that Spaniards are rude.)

LOL, I'm going to use that rule and see how far it gets me.

"Hey buddy, I'm known for being rude. You stink."

:rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
I think one of the great illusions had by people from other countries about the US is the concept of an "American culture". We don't really have one in the sense of most countries. We are so young, and immigration is not only how we began but it has never stopped. Over the years I have known people from probably, gosh...maybe thirty or forty countries - but all Americans. In fact I would bet that most people here are between 0th[illegal] and 4th generation Americans. From there we're all Europeans, Africans, Asians, Latinos, Middle Easterners, Australians, Inuits, you name it, they're here, and with each of them comes their own culture.
And I for one don't watch sports of any kind. :biggrin:

Yeah - the United States is highly multicultural, and there's not one big unifying activity that really brings Americans together, like football does in Spain.

Last edited:
loseyourname said:
To juvenal, he's just saying that Americans enjoy the little things in life, which certainly is a big part of American culture. Witness the writing of Walt Whitman and the transcendentalists, or the catch phrase "stop to smell the roses." Clausius may have worded it a little awkwardly, but I don't think he was insulting anybody. His grasp of English is still not perfect - cut the guy some slack. (Besides, even he admits that Spaniards are rude.)

I don't think so. I got the impression he went to or watched a baseball game and airshow, hated them (as might be expected since hobbies and interests are often acquired tastes), and somehow managed to turn it into some kind of cultural commentary on Americans. Look out Tocqueville! Maybe we should set this guy loose on a Japanese tea ceremony. I'm sure we'll get some scintillating insights.

Honestly, I don't see Americans being more obsessed with the little things in life. In fact, I've always had some admiration for the Europeans who can take long leisurely meals, and enjoy life as it is.

Last edited:
juvenal said:
I don't think so. I got the impression he went to or watched a baseball game and airshow, hated them (as might be expected since hobbies and interests are often acquired tastes), and somehow managed to turn it into some kind of cultural commentary on Americans. Look out Tocqueville! Maybe we should set this guy loose on a Japanese tea ceremony. I'm sure we'll get some scintillating insights.
Honestly, I don't see Americans being more obsessed with the little things in life. In fact, I've always had some admiration for the Europeans who can take long leisurely meals, and enjoy life as it is.
I think you misunderstood his comment, it was a complement that we can appreciate little things, it doesn't have to be the biggest, fastest, glitziest, most expensive things in order for us to appreciate it.

loseyourname said:
To juvenal, he's just saying that Americans enjoy the little things in life, which certainly is a big part of American culture.

Juvenal, re read my words and loseyourname words again. This is what I intended to say. Employing the words stupid an small means that maybe americans enjoy that kinds of things some of us would think as meaningless things. My next sentence consist on admiring this behavior, so be fortunate to be so if you're american. I enjoyed the airshow, and I enjoyed how americans enjoy a simple airshow. I enjoyed the baseball game, although it is boring, because I enjoy to see new things and to learn about how is the people here.

For instance, let's continue with the baseball stuff. Compare a Barcelona-Real Madrid soccer match with a playoff baseball match. I assure to you you have never seen something more spectacular than a complete stadium (Bernabeu Stadium) filled with 120.000 people in a crazy environment, screaming together or insulting simultaneously to one player. If you had these matches in USA, you would enjoy the spectacle thousand times more than us, because the great difference between americans and spaniards is the next one:

An american who has a crap# on the table is proud of it because it is an american crap#. But a spanish who has a jewel on the table will never be proud of it because we don't give real value to what we own in Spain, in part because nobody is proud of being spaniard.

Have you understood the essence of my words?

Clausius2 said:
I assure to you you have never seen something more spectacular than a complete stadium (Bernabeu Stadium) filled with 120.000 people in a crazy environment, screaming together or insulting simultaneously to one player.
An American football game? Heaven?

If you had these matches in USA, you would enjoy the spectacle thousand times more than us, because the great difference between americans and spaniards is the next one:
An american who has a crap# on the table is proud of it because it is an american crap#. But a spanish who has a jewel on the table will never be proud of it because we don't give real value to what we own in Spain, in part because nobody is proud of being spaniard.
Damn straight! GO AMERICA W00t W00t W00t W00t W00t W00t W00t

My crap is 100% pure AMERICAN CRAP! YEAH!

What are some factors that make American people different?

There are several factors that contribute to the diversity among American people. Some of the most significant ones include cultural background, ethnicity, race, religion, and socio-economic status.

How does cultural background impact people in America?

Cultural background plays a significant role in shaping an individual's beliefs, values, and behaviors. In a diverse country like America, individuals from different cultural backgrounds bring their unique perspectives and practices, leading to a rich and diverse society.

What role does ethnicity play in American society?

Ethnicity refers to a shared cultural heritage that is passed down from generation to generation. In America, individuals from various ethnicities contribute to the country's cultural fabric, adding to the diversity and richness of the nation.

How does religion impact American people?

Religion is a powerful force that shapes people's values, beliefs, and behaviors. In America, individuals from different religions coexist, creating a diverse and tolerant society. Religion also plays a significant role in shaping the country's political landscape and social norms.

How does socio-economic status affect American people?

Socio-economic status refers to an individual's economic and social standing in society. It can impact access to education, healthcare, job opportunities, and overall quality of life. In America, there is a significant income gap, which can lead to differences in opportunities and experiences among individuals from different socio-economic backgrounds.