France: Better Bread, Butter, Cocktails & More

• Thread starter Chi Meson
  • Start date
In summary, France is known for having better quality food, especially in terms of bread, butter, cocktails, and pastries. They are also known for their wine, although opinions may vary on whether it is better than American wine. Additionally, France has famous landmarks like the Louvre and the French Alps, and they are known for their passion for things like wine and skiing. However, there may also be some negative aspects to France, but these will not be mentioned.
what is a Scottish pancake? I think you mean Pikelets, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anttech, I've got a feeling I've discussed this here somewhere before. You're correct, Pikelets is what I call them, they are also called Scottish Pancakes and Drop Scones, I've discovered. Yum!

Well I was brought up in Glasgow, and we never called 'em "scottish pancakes" Just Pikelets.. or those yummy sweet things you have with breakfast :-) hehe

Anttech said:
what is a Scottish pancake? I think you mean Pikelets, right?
Drop scones.

Thanks Anttech, my ancestors were Scottish, so I must have them to thank for passing down the correct terminology!:smile:

Anttech said:
Ok before you come down on me like a 100KG of bricks (like the use of metric system there :-) ) I didnt read Pengwuino post proper and thought it said America ;)
Why would we come down on you like a tenth of a tonne of bricks? Anyway, I think its clear that America is MUCH better at losing wars than anyone. Such style and denial! The writer/monologist Sarah Vowell points out that one week after the fall of Saigon, she was learning how US has never lost a war. Who was it that said "We didn't lose Vietnam, it was a tie!"

And on the subject of "drop scones": my mum (a true Glaswegian) calls them just "scones", but pronounces them "sconns." They are not really pancakes, nor what we call scones. They were made with potato (but that could be a WWII thing) and eaten cold, and with butter but no syrup. Sounds like a crumpet to me.

Last edited:
Anttech said:
Comparing Apples and pears, I can guarantee that France has WON more wars than America…

Anyway did you not have a civil war? Thus could you not argue you have (at least a portion of your citizans have) lost a war?...

Ok before you come down on me like a 100KG of bricks (like the use of metric system there :-) ) I didnt read Pengwuino post proper and thought it said America ;)

I'm still coming down on you!

*grabs a 100kg of bricks and looks for a crane to hire...*

And on the subject of "drop scones": my mum (a true Glaswegian) calls them just "scones", but pronounces them "sconns."...snip...They were made with potato

ahh you mean tattie sconnes :)

I LOVE those things, everytime I am home I buy as many as poss :)

sah yeh ken scots, seen as yer ma is fa thear.. :)

Aye, ah dinnae ken wha' ye said, but.

"Tis a braw bricht moonlicht nicht, the nicht,"

how about architecture? there were le corbusier... & i don't know who else, but the pompidou centre is still pretty cool after all these yrs

you dinnae ken but ye ken ma spreaken...

aye tis braw :)

I really like French kissing, but I'm an American and do it pretty damn well.

fourier jr said:
how about architecture? there were le corbusier... & i don't know who else, but the pompidou centre is still pretty cool after all these yrs

Didn't Norman Foster design the Pompidou?

like Elvis's hair?

America has conan, nothing else matters.

Pengwuino said:
America has conan, nothing else matters.
Did you mean O'Brian , or the guv'nor O'California? Or are they really the same guy?

Chi Meson said:
Did you mean O'Brian , or the guv'nor O'California? Or are they really the same guy?

What about The Barbarian?

brewnog said:
What about The Barbarian?
What about John Travolta?

Mr. Kotter

Last edited:
what about inspector poirot

Lays bait and waits muuhhaaa :-)

Chi Meson said:

O'brian. And how dare you speak of Him without first using "The Lord and Master of all Comedy".

brewnog said:
Didn't Norman Foster design the Pompidou?
no it was rogers & piano, whom I've never heard of. le corbusier was a visual artist who then got into architecture. he was the one who first designed buildings with exposed concrete, complete with the lines/marks made by the boards used to hold the concrete together until it set. he also thought it would be cool to build buildings on stilts, etc.
http://www.time.com/time/time100/artists/profile/lecorbusier.html

Last edited by a moderator:
fourier jr said:
no it was rogers & piano, whom I've never heard of. [/url]

Ahh, good old Lord Richard Rogers of Riverside! He also designed the Millennium Dome, Madrid Barajas Airport, Heathrow Terminal 5, and some sexy little school.

Bloody nice chap.

/name dropping

Who was it that saved France from this man again?
paris.jpg

Last edited:
Spiderman?

france sacrificed more than the US in any war they've both taken part in. example: in WWII france lost ~13 ppl/1000 while the US lost ~3. in WWI france lost 1,300,000, more than 10x the US. is it any wonder they call it the "lost generation?"

so would that make you "The Next Generation"

gravenewworld said:
paris.jpg
Depends whose history you read. In American history, or American films at least, it was just Americans. In more objective history, it was Americans, Brits, Australians, Belgians, Poles, Greeks, Canadians, Dutch, Kiwis, Norwegians, Czechs and... French!

Who the hell learns their history from movies?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
Depends whose history you read. In American history, or American films at least, it was just Americans. In more objective history, it was Americans, Brits, Australians, Belgians, Poles, Greeks, Canadians, Dutch, Kiwis, Norwegians, Czechs and... French!
Arguably the Russians did more than most to stop the Nazis...

Anttech said:
Arguably the Russians did more than most to stop the Nazis...
I would argue the same. However the question was: "Who saved the French from Hitler?" not "Who defeated Hitler?"

Pengwuino said:
Who the hell learns their history from movies?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Presumably the same people who go around saying: "Who was it that saved France from this man again?"

Brits, Australians, Belgians, Poles, Greeks, Canadians, Dutch, Kiwis, Norwegians, Czechs

How many people from these countries died on D-Day again? Face it. The allies were getting their asses kicked before Japan was stupid enough to bomb Pearl Harbor. No country in Europe could even compare to the military and industrial strength of the US (with the exception of England's navy).

And I don't know what kind of bread you got, but I like crusty, yeasty breads with flavor and texture, as opposed to Wonder bread that tastes like air.

Dude of course French bread is better than wonder bread, you're comparing French food to stuff like McDonalds. Although I don't mind white bread on sandwiches, I really prefer potato bread. Oh! Especially potato hotdog buns! Here is how you make some awesome beer-dogs with potato buns.

1.Get your favorite wurst and grill them.

2. Get two cans of your favorite beer (Bud is good, but don't get light it doesn't have enough flavor) and about two vidalia onions (sliced) and simmer them until the beer gets really foamy, then turn the heat to its lowest setting and let it sit.

3. Once your wursts are plump and crispy (I like mine pitch black) toss'em in beer and let them sit for atleast an hour, but you can eat them when ever, the long you let them sit the better they taste.

4. When ready to serve, put the beer-wurst on a potato bun with whatever topping you want.

True. But do you really think if Canada hadn't fought we would have lost?

No country in Europe could even compare to the military and industrial strength of the US (with the exception of England's navy).

Yes! No one can match America's over inflated military budget!:biggrin:

Speaking of hotdogs. Hotdogs are great! I don't mean those crappy cheap hotdogs, I mean real hotdogs, beef dogs like Hebrew National or Nathan's. Thats real American food!

Entropy said:
Speaking of hotdogs. Hotdogs are great! I don't mean those crappy cheap hotdogs, I mean real hotdogs, beef dogs like Hebrew National or Nathan's. Thats real American food!

Yah those are good! That hotdog will eat YOU

I have a feeling this thread is nearing derailment if entropy and el hombre and graveyboat or whatever don't be quiet:P