Can MRI and CT scans have effects on the human body?

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dogs
In summary, the conversation revolved around a news article about a woman who was left in a CT scan machine for over 10 minutes at a medical facility. The participants discussed the quality of medical care in the US, with some sharing personal experiences and others expressing concerns about the safety and competence of medical staff. The conversation also touched on the effects of working near large magnetic fields, particularly on the vestibular system, and the importance of having someone accompany you to the hospital.
Jimmy Snyder
Woman left in CT scan machine.
I had a similar experience. I was left in a CT scan machine for over 10 minutes once.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quality control?

What the heck? It's only medicine. :rolleyes:

Another example of the great medical care available in the US. :rofl:

The scary part is at the end of the article, where a physician working there commented that it wasn't the first time a patient was forgotten after hours! Maybe it's time to fire some staff? Why is any patient being left entirely unattended during ANY part of the scan? There should be someone monitoring the whole time.

(I'm a little less clear on how she was locked IN, yet was able to unlock the door to let the police in??)

Most of my family works in the medical field.

You'd be surprised at what goes on. You'd be surprised how many surgeons go into the OR drunk or otherwise impaired.

And they say working near large magnetic fields is perfectly safe and has no effect on memory.

Moonbear said:
The scary part is at the end of the article, where a physician working there commented that it wasn't the first time a patient was forgotten after hours! Maybe it's time to fire some staff? Why is any patient being left entirely unattended during ANY part of the scan? There should be someone monitoring the whole time.

(I'm a little less clear on how she was locked IN, yet was able to unlock the door to let the police in??)

It's because the office wasn't equipped with http://www.funnyhub.com/videos/pages/blonde-star.html [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator:
Kurdt said:
And they say working near large magnetic fields is perfectly safe and has no effect on memory.

pssssst, that's MRI, not CT.

Ivan Seeking said:

Damn. I knew they'd find me out sooner or later. The trouble is I can't read, or i'd have gotten the clue in the name.

I hate hospitals. I went to the emergency room on a stretcher last year cause of a possible back injury, and I had to be strapped down to that stupid board with the neck brace and everything. Then the doctor checked in on me told me I wasn't allowed to move, just in case, then ordered some tests and left. After laying around doing nothing for like 45 minutes, I was shuffled around to different parts of the hospital for x rays and a cat scan. The stupid attendents unstrapped me and told me to stand up and get in the various machines. I was like wtf, I'm not supposed to be moving I thought...

Oh and then, I was cold, and I had to ask 3 nurses for a blanket. 3! I wasn't allowed to move, and the blankets were just across the room. I could see them. And each nurse just walked away to do something else.

Anyway...
Sucks for that lady.

Astronuc said:
Most of my family works in the medical field.

You'd be surprised at what goes on. You'd be surprised how many surgeons go into the OR drunk or otherwise impaired.
That's really pathetic! Though, I've been told that the best people to be friends with are the anesthesiologists, because they know what goes on with all the surgeons, and can tell you which are the best to use.

Kurdt said:

Ivan Seeking said:

Interestingly, someone presented an article at yesterday's journal club about rat behavior in MRIs, and they were definitely NOT normal. The folks who do research with the MRIs have also reported some pretty severe vertigo when popping their head into assist a patient while it was running. In the rat study, there wasn't too much of an effect in the 4 tesla magnets, but the stronger magnets definitely caused behavioral changes consistent with effects on the vestibular system. Don't know if it affects memory, but the vestibular system is pretty dramatically affected.

Never go to a hospital alone! You must have someone you know with you. Sad, but true.

Moonbear said:
That's really pathetic! Though, I've been told that the best people to be friends with are the anesthesiologists, because they know what goes on with all the surgeons, and can tell you which are the best to use.
My mom went into hospital for tests. She indicated that there were certain surgeons she would not accept because she knew they had drinking problems or other personal problems that adversely affected their performance.

Interestingly, someone presented an article at yesterday's journal club about rat behavior in MRIs, and they were definitely NOT normal. The folks who do research with the MRIs have also reported some pretty severe vertigo when popping their head into assist a patient while it was running. In the rat study, there wasn't too much of an effect in the 4 tesla magnets, but the stronger magnets definitely caused behavioral changes consistent with effects on the vestibular system. Don't know if it affects memory, but the vestibular system is pretty dramatically affected.
I don't imagine they left the system running on that woman. I believe such systems are timed, but I certainly don't know in the specific case.
Evo said:
Never go to a hospital alone! You must have someone you know with you. Sad, but true.
That has been expressed by my family members and others I know in the medical field.

Moonbear said:

I'm sure I've told this story before, but since it applies: We had an MRI tech [Jeanie, I think] who needed an MRI. So another tech did the scan while the patient coordinator watched the patient. The scan proceeded normally without interruptions. When they completed the scan and went into get Jeanie out of the scanner, she swore that she had been screaming to let her out the entire time, but beyond a doubt she had never said a word.

A friend of mine worked on chemistry NMR instruments, with higher fields than medical MRI. He said that you could tase things if you moved your head under field when it was running, other people saw flashing lights or felt dizzy but it could psychosomatic.

What is a cat scan?

A cat scan, or computed tomography (CT) scan, is a medical imaging procedure that uses X-rays to capture detailed images of the inside of the body.

Why is it called a "cat scan"?

The term "cat scan" is a shortened version of "computed axial tomography," which describes the way the images are taken in a cross-sectional manner, similar to how a cat moves when it curls up.

How are cat scans used in veterinary medicine?

Cat scans are used in veterinary medicine to diagnose various health conditions in animals, including fractures, tumors, and internal bleeding. They can also be used to guide biopsies and plan surgeries.

Can dogs undergo cat scans?

Yes, dogs can undergo cat scans. While the procedure is most commonly used on humans, it can also be used on other animals, including dogs, to diagnose and treat health problems.

Are there any risks associated with cat scans for dogs?

Like any medical procedure, there are potential risks with cat scans for dogs, including exposure to radiation. However, the benefits of accurate diagnosis and treatment often outweigh the risks. Your veterinarian will discuss the risks and benefits with you before performing a cat scan on your dog.