Operator in non-orthogonal basis

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of constructing an operator in a non-orthogonal basis and the implications of using such a basis. It is suggested that the effect of the operator on all basis states can be used to determine the operator. Alternatively, an arbitrary operator can be written in terms of basis states. However, in a non-orthogonal basis, it is more difficult to determine the effect of the operator on a specific basis state. The conversation also mentions the construction of a basis in a non-orthogonal basis and the potential impact on eigenvalues and elements of the operator.
j_dirac
Hi, is possible make up a operator in a non-orthogonal basis, if is possible how I can contruct the operator.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
why not form your operators as |b><a|

which are the consequence of choice a basis non-orthogonal?

j_dirac said:
which are the consequence of choice a basis non-orthogonal?

Why do you want to form an operator in a non-orthogonal basis in the first place?

j_dirac said:
Hi, is possible make up a operator in a non-orthogonal basis, if is possible how I can contruct the operator.

thanks

Of course.

All you need to know is the effect of the operator on all the basis states. So if you know all the values of [itex] <a_i|A|a_j>[/itex] then you know everything about the operator.

Alternatively, as quetzalcoatl9 pointed out, an arbitrary operators can be written as

[itex] A = \sum c_{ij} |a_i><a_j| [/itex]

One consequence of having a non orthonogonal basis is that you can't read off directly from the above expression what is the effect of applying the operator to a basis state gives.

If the basis is orthogonal, then applying A to, say, [itex] |a_3> [/itex] will simply give [itex] c_{13} |a_1> + c_{23} |a_2> + \ldots [/itex] (I am assuming that the labels of the states are discrete and start at 1). If the basis is not orthogonal, the expression is of course more complicated.

I can construct a basis depent of basis non-orthogonal, how might make up? and what happen with the eigenvalues and elements of the operator.

someone know if the situation present in some quantum system.

1. What is an operator in a non-orthogonal basis?

An operator in a non-orthogonal basis is a mathematical representation of a physical quantity, such as position or momentum, in a system with non-orthogonal basis vectors. This means that the basis vectors for the system are not perpendicular to each other, making it more difficult to define and manipulate operators.

2. How is an operator in a non-orthogonal basis different from one in an orthogonal basis?

Operators in non-orthogonal bases are more complex and difficult to work with compared to those in orthogonal bases. This is because in a non-orthogonal basis, the basis vectors are not perpendicular to each other, making it more challenging to define and manipulate operators. In an orthogonal basis, the basis vectors are perpendicular, making it easier to define and manipulate operators.

3. What are the challenges of working with operators in non-orthogonal bases?

One of the main challenges of working with operators in non-orthogonal bases is that they do not commute with each other, meaning that the order in which they are applied matters. Additionally, the inner product of two states in a non-orthogonal basis is not simply the product of their components, making calculations more complex.

4. How are operators in non-orthogonal bases used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, operators in non-orthogonal bases are used to represent physical quantities, such as energy and momentum, in a system with non-orthogonal basis vectors. They are also used in calculations to determine the probability of a particle being in a certain state or location.

5. Can operators in non-orthogonal bases be transformed into operators in an orthogonal basis?

Yes, operators in non-orthogonal bases can be transformed into operators in an orthogonal basis using a mathematical process called basis transformation. This involves finding a transformation matrix that can convert the non-orthogonal basis vectors into orthogonal ones, and then applying this transformation to the operators. This makes it easier to work with the operators and perform calculations in quantum mechanics.