Can I Convert Turbulent Flow into Laminar Flow for a Cheaper Flow Hood?

In summary, there is a need for a flow hood for biology projects that produces laminar flow to prevent contaminates from dirty objects from reaching biological samples. However, a laminar flow HEPA filter is too expensive, and cheaper filters do not produce laminar flow. Increasing the velocity of the air blowing through the hood may help reduce eddies, but it is not a guarantee. It is also suggested to try changing the Reynolds number or using a turbulent flow of HEPA filters.
GiTS
I want to build a flow hood for biology projects but a laminar flow HEPA costs more than I have in my bank account. There are cheaper HEPA filters out there but they don't produce laminar flow. The flow only needs to be laminar so eddies don't bring contaminates off dirty objects under the flow hood (my hands, equipment that can't be sterilized, etc) and onto biological samples, petri dishes, etc.

If I increase the velocity of the air blowing through the flow hood, will the eddies form farther away or be blown away before they can transfer contaminates?

Is there any way to turn turbulent flow into laminar flow?

Physics news on Phys.org
bump.

GiTS said:
Generally flow is only laminar when air is accelerating towards a lower pressure area, and it's not a guarantee of laminar flow, because eddies have momentum.

GiTS said:
I want to build a flow hood for biology projects but a laminar flow HEPA costs more than I have in my bank account.
Hello gits My bank account cannot change a thing. Try to change the Reynolds number of your flow hood. Try to become Robin or try a turbulent flow of HEPA costs!
greetings Janm

1. What is turbulent flow?

Turbulent flow is a type of fluid motion in which the fluid particles move in an irregular, chaotic manner. This is in contrast to laminar flow, where the fluid particles move in a smooth, orderly manner. Turbulent flow is characterized by fluctuations in velocity, pressure, and density, and is often observed in high-speed or high Reynolds number flows.

2. What are eddies?

Eddies are swirling vortices that occur within turbulent flows. They are caused by the mixing of fluid particles with different velocities and directions, and can range in size from a few millimeters to meters. Eddies are responsible for the transfer of energy and momentum within turbulent flows.

3. How are eddies formed in turbulent flow?

Eddies are formed through a process known as vortex stretching. As fluid particles move in a turbulent flow, they experience changes in velocity and direction due to interactions with neighboring particles. This leads to the formation of small vortices, which are then stretched and amplified by the turbulent flow, eventually forming larger eddies.

4. What is the role of eddies in turbulent flow?

Eddies play a crucial role in the transport of momentum, heat, and mass within turbulent flows. They help to mix different fluid particles, leading to enhanced mixing and diffusion of properties such as temperature and concentration. Eddies also contribute to the dissipation of energy within turbulent flows, helping to maintain the turbulent state.

5. How is turbulent flow and eddies studied and measured?

Turbulent flow and eddies can be studied and measured using a variety of techniques, including direct numerical simulations, large eddy simulations, and experimental techniques such as hot-wire anemometry and particle image velocimetry. These methods allow scientists to measure properties such as velocity, pressure, and vorticity within turbulent flows, providing valuable insights into the behavior of eddies.

Back