Is aerospace Engineering right for me?

In summary, a 19-year-old community college student is interested in pursuing a degree in aerospace engineering but is worried about not being smart enough. He asks for opinions on whether this is a realistic goal and what classes and colleges he should consider. Other users suggest having a passion for math and physics, and mention University of Washington, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Caltech, and MIT as potential schools to study aerospace engineering. One user advises the student to focus on their current interests and hobbies to determine if aerospace engineering is the right career path for them. Another user suggests being strong in math, particularly calculus and linear algebra, in order to succeed in the field. Some users also mention the importance of being an international student and recommend
tshaug
Hi guys, I hope I am posting this in the right spot. I'm 19 years old going to community college and I have become very interested in aerospace engineering. I really want to look into getting my degree in aerospace engineering, but I'm worried I'm just not smart enough. I wanted your guys opinion on whether this is just a dream or can I learn the trade? I am just a normal student taking normal classes right now, I'm not a super smart guy, but I would love to get into this field. If this is not just a dream what classes should I look into and what general math should I get to know the most? Also what colleges would be the best for me to look at (I live in Idaho)? Thank you guys so much for the help!

Tyler Haug

Physics news on Phys.org
Aerospace Engineering is a pretty rigorous program, or it can be depending on the student. One learns about the theory or practice of flight, propulsion, aircraft and rocket/missile structures, control systems, . . . .

University of Washington's Aeronautics & Astronautics program is perhaps the closest one to Idaho.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1872569#post1872569

Also browse the AIAA website - www.aiaa.org

I am an aerospace engineering sophomore at the moment. All I have to say is, have a tolerance for math and physics. I've met some who like them and some who don't - I love them. Thus far it has not been too bad but the difficulty is slowly rising. If you like engineering in general, sure go ahead. This is because you can simply spend the first two years in the program and decide for yourself.

Its not a dream but not easily attainable ;)

btw, I'm at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Florida. They have one of the best AE programs in the US. www.erau.edu ...check them out. Also, Caltech and MIT are a few excellent choices also.

Here is a post from a few years ago that might be relevant:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=83805"

What I said then is still appropriate: What are your interests NOW?

What posters are on your walls? What magazines do you read? What hobbies do you have? What websites do you frequent? What can you do for hours without realizing time has gone by?

Your present interests and hobbies indicate where your passion lies. If your passion is for the aerospace field, good. If not, perhaps you should re-think your plan.

Another old thread that might interest you:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=67311"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys I have completed my graduation in computer engineering.I have interest to build a career into Aerospace field.Is it possible for to pursue Masters in Aerospace?

sam_dj said:
Hey guys I have completed my graduation in computer engineering.I have interest to build a career into Aerospace field.Is it possible for to pursue Masters in Aerospace?

Yes, but it will require a lot of getting up to speed. You will need to be particular strong in math. Calculus I,II,III, differential equations, PDEs, linear algebra, and statics at the very least.

Thanks.Are there any particular universities which offer courses??Tell me the universities please

sam_dj said:
Thanks.Are there any particular universities which offer courses??Tell me the universities please

You have a degree in computer engineering. Use google, I'm not answering that. Sheesh, man. Lazy to the max.

I'm interesting too for aerospace engineering.
I will give exams for U.S universities as international student,because my country does not give me that opportunity.

I suppose MIT,Stanford University,Caltech are excellent universities to study aerospace engineering..

Really..Can i study aerospace engineering without studing mechanical engineering??

1. What is aerospace engineering?

Aerospace engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, testing, and production of aircraft, spacecraft, and related systems. It combines elements of mechanical, electrical, and materials engineering to create vehicles that can operate within the Earth's atmosphere or in outer space.

2. What skills are required for a career in aerospace engineering?

Some of the key skills needed for a career in aerospace engineering include a strong understanding of math and physics, problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and critical thinking. Other important skills include communication, teamwork, and the ability to use computer-aided design (CAD) software.

3. What types of jobs can I get with a degree in aerospace engineering?

A degree in aerospace engineering can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including working for aerospace companies such as Boeing or Lockheed Martin, government agencies like NASA or the Department of Defense, or research and development firms. Some common job titles for aerospace engineers include design engineer, systems engineer, and project manager.

4. Is aerospace engineering a good career choice?

As with any career, there are pros and cons to consider. Aerospace engineering can be a highly rewarding and exciting field, with opportunities to work on cutting-edge technology and make significant contributions to the advancement of space exploration. However, it can also be a demanding and competitive industry, and job prospects may be affected by economic factors. It is important to thoroughly research and consider your own interests and goals before deciding if aerospace engineering is the right career choice for you.

5. What steps can I take to prepare for a career in aerospace engineering?

To prepare for a career in aerospace engineering, it is important to take courses in math, physics, and other sciences during high school. Pursuing a degree in aerospace engineering or a related field is also recommended. Additionally, gaining experience through internships or co-op programs can be beneficial. It is also important to develop strong problem-solving and teamwork skills, as well as staying updated on industry developments and advancements in technology.