Exploring Modern Physics: Must-Have Books for Enthusiasts

In summary, if you are looking to continue your education in physics, it is recommended to read books that cover modern physics such as relativity and quantum physics. Some must-have books include "The Cosmic Landscape" by L. Susskind, "The Dirac Memorial Lecture" by Feynman and Weinberg, and anything by Sir Roger Penrose. However, these books may be more advanced and it is suggested to also read more general books to prepare for university-level physics. Some recommendations include "The Road to Reality" by Roger Penrose and "The Black Hole War" by Leonard Susskind. For those interested in more hands-on learning, the Feynman Lectures and the "Demystified" series are also recommended
hcm90
I am a physics enthusiast and want to acquire as much knowledge in this area (I am in penultimate year of high school in Romania and want to continue with a college physics, but until then try to learn as much as possible).

I want to know more about modern physics (relativity, quantum physics...)

I started with the books: Relativity: "The Special and the General Theory" Albert Einstein, "A Brief History of Time" and "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking

With what books should I continue? What would be the "must have" books?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd recommend 'The Cosmic Landscape' by L. Susskind, the 'Dirac memorial Lecture' by Feynman and Weinberg and anything by Sir Roger Penrose.

Enjoy :D

You sound like you're in a similar position to me, except I'm in the UK :)

Based on what you've read, I would recommend:The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe by Roger Penrose

What is Life? The Physical Aspect of the Living Cell by Erwin Schrödinger (if you want a bit of biophysics)

and

Lectures on Quantum Mechanics by Paul A. M. Dirac

:]

ATOMatt said:
You sound like you're in a similar position to me, except I'm in the UK :)

Based on what you've read, I would recommend:

The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe by Roger Penrose

What is Life? The Physical Aspect of the Living Cell by Erwin Schrödinger (if you want a bit of biophysics)

and

Lectures on Quantum Mechanics by Paul A. M. Dirac

:]

I can't speak for the biophysics books, but the other two are quite advanced texts. While the road to reality is, I guess, written for the layman, it seems to be written for the layman with endless amounts of study time on his hands, as it seems very difficult. As for the Dirac, it looks like he starts with classical mechanics to move to QM, so if you don't know CM already reading this book seems silly.

At any rate, stuff by Hawking, Greene, etc. is all well and good, but if you want to get into the actual physics I know of no way other than math/physics textbooks. Since it seems you will continue with your physics education next year, I recommend you just whet your appetite with general books like the ones you have been reading. University physics can seem pretty dry, especially in the first few classes, so it's good to read about all the "cool stuff" so you don't get too caught up in the blocks on inclined planes.

Nabeshin said:
I can't speak for the biophysics books, but the other two are quite advanced texts. While the road to reality is, I guess, written for the layman, it seems to be written for the layman with endless amounts of study time on his hands, as it seems very difficult. As for the Dirac, it looks like he starts with classical mechanics to move to QM, so if you don't know CM already reading this book seems silly.

At any rate, stuff by Hawking, Greene, etc. is all well and good, but if you want to get into the actual physics I know of no way other than math/physics textbooks. Since it seems you will continue with your physics education next year, I recommend you just whet your appetite with general books like the ones you have been reading. University physics can seem pretty dry, especially in the first few classes, so it's good to read about all the "cool stuff" so you don't get too caught up in the blocks on inclined planes.

A great and entertaining book is Leonard Susskind's "The Black Hole War: my Battle with Steven Hawking to make the world safe for Quantum Mechanics."

If you want to get in the weeds with the calculations, the Feynman Lectures belong on any aspiring physicist's shelf. It may not make to much sense your freshman year, but the pages will be pretty worn by your senior year. I also enjoy the "Demystified" series. They have a lot of example calculations, so you can build your own abilities, especially if you are working outside of the classroom. As a paperback, they also aren't too expensive.

1. What are some recommended books for learning about modern physics?

Some must-have books for exploring modern physics include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Quantum Physics for Dummies" by Steven Holzner, "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene, and "The Road to Reality" by Roger Penrose.

2. How can I learn about modern physics if I have no background in science?

There are many beginner-friendly books on modern physics that require no prior scientific knowledge. Some recommendations include "Quantum: A Guide for the Perplexed" by Jim Al-Khalili, "The Beginning of Infinity" by David Deutsch, and "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking.

3. Are there any online resources for exploring modern physics?

Yes, there are many online resources such as YouTube channels, podcasts, and educational websites that offer information and explanations on modern physics. Some popular ones include PBS Space Time, Veritasium, and Khan Academy.

4. Is it necessary to understand advanced mathematics to learn about modern physics?

While a basic understanding of mathematics is helpful, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of advanced mathematics to learn about modern physics. Many books and resources explain concepts in a way that is accessible to non-mathematicians.

5. What are some real-world applications of modern physics?

Modern physics has numerous real-world applications in fields such as technology, medicine, and energy. Some examples include laser technology, nuclear power, and medical imaging techniques like MRI and PET scans.