Projectile Motion Time Question

In summary, the time it takes for an object to reach the peak in projectile motion is equal to the time it takes for the object to return to the same height from the peak. However, there are factors such as air resistance and wind that can affect the trajectory of the object. Terminal velocity, which is the speed at which the downward force of gravity is equal to the upward force of drag, can also impact the object's velocity in both the x and y directions. This can result in situations where the object reaches its peak faster than it falls back to the ground, as seen in the case of an object shot from a slingshot.
Nerdyboy

Homework Statement

In projectile motion, the time it takes for an object to get from a certain height to the peak is the same time as the time to reach the same height from the peak, correct? Well then, I came across something in which an object was shot in the air via a slingshot and peaked at about 1 second. Then, it took approximately 2 seconds to return to the ground at the same height. Is this possible? If so, how? (Lets say that there may be air resistance and wind as an influence)

Homework Equations

Kinematics Equations:
V = Vo +at
x = 1/2(Vo+V)t
x = Vit + 1/2at^2
V^2 = Vo^2 + 2ax

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that when in projectile motion, an object would have the same time reaching the peak as it would reaching the ground from the peak. (Symmetry).

Physics news on Phys.org
Nerdyboy said:
Well then, I came across something in which an object was shot in the air via a slingshot and peaked at about 1 second. Then, it took approximately 2 seconds to return to the ground at the same height. Is this possible? If so, how? (Lets say that there may be air resistance and wind as an influence)
I'm guessing your talking about real world measurements. Let's see, this might be caused by a change in the drag coefficient (eg. as an extreme example, shooing a parachute in the air while balled up, then letting it unfurl as it fell), or a wind gust. It also might happen if the object was shot faster than terminal velocity, since the speed of the object wouldn't exceed terminal velocity on its return trip to the ground.

Sciurus said:
I'm guessing your talking about real world measurements. Let's see, this might be caused by a change in the drag coefficient (eg. as an extreme example, shooing a parachute in the air while balled up, then letting it unfurl as it fell), or a wind gust. It also might happen if the object was shot faster than terminal velocity, since the speed of the object wouldn't exceed terminal velocity on its return trip to the ground.
One more question then, how does terminal velocity affect the object in projectile motion. Does it slow down the velocity in the y direction of the projectile because I know I am almost positive it won't affect the x velocity.

can someone help me with the post need help...please...

Nerdyboy said:
One more question then, how does terminal velocity affect the object in projectile motion. Does it slow down the velocity in the y direction of the projectile because I know I am almost positive it won't affect the x velocity.
Terminal velocity is the speed a falling object tends toward -- it's the speed where the downward force of gravity is equal to the upward force due to drag.

Drag -- much like friction -- slows an object down, so if the object has an x and y component of velocity, it would reduce both. In a similar way, if you drew x and y-axis on a table top, then slid a note card across table, the notecard's x and y velocity would slow down with friction.

But the drag force also depends on the speed (both x and y), so it's a bit harder to work with in two dimensions.

The get an idea of how it works, consider shooting an object straight up, so we only have to work on one dimension. We'll first consider the fall from the maximum height. The object accelerates downward because of gravity, but as it starts moving faster, the drag increases, providing an upward force. The end result is that the object approaches its terminal velocity, and gets very close, but doesn't go any faster. Not since you can shoot the object faster than the terminal velocity, you can get it up to the highest point faster than it comes down.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is only affected by the force of gravity. This means that the path of the object is a curved line, also known as a parabola.

2. How is time related to projectile motion?

Time is an important factor in projectile motion because it determines how long the object will be in the air and how far it will travel. The time it takes for an object to complete its motion can be calculated using various formulas and can also be affected by factors such as initial velocity and angle of projection.

3. What is the formula for calculating time in projectile motion?

The formula for calculating time in projectile motion is t = 2 * v * sin(theta) / g, where t is time, v is initial velocity, theta is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect the time of projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect the time of projectile motion by slowing down the object's speed and altering its trajectory. This means that the object will take longer to reach its final destination and the time calculated using the formula may not be accurate.

5. How does the angle of projection affect the time of projectile motion?

The angle of projection affects the time of projectile motion by changing the initial velocity of the object. The steeper the angle, the faster the object will travel and the shorter the time it takes to reach its destination. On the other hand, a lower angle will result in a slower initial velocity and a longer time of motion.