Alternatives to Labview? Python, Pylab-works, Reviews

• Thread starter PhaseShifter
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Labview and other comparable software such as pythics, pylab-works, and Matlab. One person mentions their previous negative experience with Labview, but also acknowledges that it has improved in recent versions. Another person suggests sticking with established GUI and wire-based programming software like Labview or switching to line-based code with Matlab. The conversation ends with a recommendation to try Matlab.
PhaseShifter
I've used Labview once or twice in the past, and wasn't very impressed by it.

Has anyone here used pythics or pylab-works, or know of any other comparable software? If so, do you have any comments about what's good or bad about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
abr_pr90 said:

I have to disagree with # 1 and 2. Both those things are possible.

I took over an experiment that used labVIEW about 5 yrs ago. I had used it in college and hated it. But I was forced to use it or rewrite the whole thing (trust me, the thought crossed my mind...). They've made great improvements in later versions and LabVIEW 2011 is really great. I sometimes wonder why I ever didn't like it (and then I try to write a simply conditional statement and wish for simple line code).

My other alternative is Matlab. If you are going to go with GUI, wire-based programming, you ought to stick with the guys who have been hard at it and making it work for over a decade. Otherwise, jump ship completely and go with line based code. Give Matlab a shot.

1. What is the difference between Labview and Python for scientific research?

Labview is a graphical programming language specifically designed for data acquisition and instrument control, while Python is a general-purpose programming language with a wide range of scientific libraries and tools available for data analysis and visualization.

2. Can Python be used as a replacement for Labview in the laboratory setting?

Yes, Python can be used as an alternative to Labview for data acquisition and instrument control. There are several libraries, such as PyVISA and PySerial, that allow communication with laboratory equipment. However, it may require more programming knowledge compared to Labview's graphical interface.

3. What is Pylab-works and how does it compare to Labview?

Pylab-works is a graphical programming environment that is built on top of Python and is designed for data analysis and visualization. It offers similar features to Labview, such as drag-and-drop programming, but with the added flexibility and power of Python's scientific libraries.

4. Are there any reviews or comparisons between Labview and Python for scientific research?

Yes, there are many reviews and comparisons available online between Labview and Python for scientific research. These reviews often highlight the strengths and weaknesses of each platform and provide insight into which may be better suited for a particular research project.

5. Is there a learning curve for switching from Labview to Python for scientific research?

Yes, there may be a learning curve for those who are used to Labview's graphical interface. However, there are many resources available, such as tutorials and online communities, to help with the transition. Additionally, Python's popularity and wide range of applications make it a valuable skill to learn for any scientist.