Shaving Help, razor burns and cutting myself

• Thread starter qspeechc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cutting
In summary, you should use a sensitive skin shaving cream, shave against the grain, and get single use blades.
fluidistic said:
Not shaving also saves you time.

Not shaving to me looks like someone who can't be bothered with looking neat. A full beard-moustache is fine but it should look well-trimmed. I very much dislike the werewolf/biker look of people who let the fuzz creep all the way up their cheekbones.

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
Not shaving to me looks like someone who can't be bothered with looking neat. A full beard-moustache is fine but it should look well-trimmed. I very much dislike the werewolf/biker look of people who let the fuzz creep all the way up their cheekbones.

I'd rather see that than a neckbeard.

http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1303125542/neckbeard.jpg

I used to think they were a joke, but I've met a couple people who actually think they look good. :yuck:

Last edited by a moderator:
qspeechc said:
Hi.

I've been shaving for about 5 years or so, but recently I've been having problems. Before I did get shaving rash, but now it's getting worse and I'm also getting razor burns and cutting myself (I'm a man, btw), I also need to shave more regularly now.

My father never taught me how to shave, and anyway he's no good at it either. Any help would be appreciated.

I did do a google search first for tips, but websites contradict each other, and some seem to be promoting specific products. For example, most websites say you should use 3 or 4 blades, but I came across one that said one blade is the best.

Here is how I do it. I shave after my shower, about once every 5 days (until recently, once a week). I put on the shaving gel, wet my razor with warm water, then shave against the grain. I've also read contradictory this about this on the web.

I start with the neck and under the chin, then the sides, then the chin and lip. Every now and then I clean the razor with warm water. After shaving I put on alcohol-based aftershave (more contradictory reports).

I use a Gillette disposable razor with 3 blades, which I don't change too often. I did try shaving with the grain, but it leaves stubble everywhere, it just doesn't shave close enough.

Any help, please?
I'm wondering why anyone would even consider shaving. I've had a beard ever since I could grow one (except for a stint in the military). I only have to trim it about once a week. There's a bit of shaving with a razor to clean up the lines and underneath the chin and jaw. That's it.

And in case you're wondering, I actually like the way I look completely shaven. But it just seems to me to be an unnecessary expenditure of time and effort.

leroyjenkens said:
Really? I'm a really sensitive person and every disposable razor I've encountered has felt like I was shaving my face by sticking my head in the middle of a cat fight.
But the bic disposable razors, especially the "sensitive" ones actually feel better than any of the expensive blades that are made by NASA.
What didn't you like about them? I can use one for about 5 shaves before it starts feeling uncomfortable.
leroyjenkins, not to be off-topic, but did you ever get that keyboard? What's happening with the music?

ThomasT said:
And in case you're wondering, I actually like the way I look completely shaven. But it just seems to me to be an unnecessary expenditure of time and effort.

What does your wife/girlfriend think of the way you look?

DaveC426913 said:

According to my boyfriend, keeping a beard groomed takes as much or more time as shaving. It's faster to just scrape it all off than to sculpt the edges and trim the length.

DaveC426913 said:
What does your wife/girlfriend think of the way you look?
Well, since my girlfriend is my girlfriend (I should probably say ladyfriend, since she's 53 -- I'm 64), and I've known her for about 35 years, I have to assume that she likes it.

bics rule.

Goatmilk soap perhaps with scents like honey oatmeal or something innocuous is cheaper and works fine.

You will get rash shaving against the grain if you're too aggressive.

Yes a beard takes a lot longer to keep nice.

Most ladies don't like to kiss hairy lips so keep it pruned back if you like a beard.

Splashing the face with cool water reduces the fluid in your skin so the hair is further out of the skin reducing stubble.

If you're going to reuse a razor, wash it thoroughly. The alcohol is very bad for your skin. A mild soap like the goat milk will get rid of any bacteria and actually supposedly we produce natural bacteria on the skin that prevent infection and washing to aggressively kills it off and makes you more prone to infection.

You're just doing microdermabrasion every time you shave and you skin has to heal. Take it a bit easier for a while.

Moonbear said:
According to my boyfriend, keeping a beard groomed takes as much or more time as shaving. It's faster to just scrape it all off than to sculpt the edges and trim the length.
Not for me. I only trim mine about once a week. Much better than having to shave every day. Maybe your boyfriend's hair grows faster.

Electric razor, mad convenient and you can't go wrong. Shaving used to make me break out but no longer.

What works for me is to shave with a manual razor (with the grain only) every Monday and use an electric razor Tue-Fri. Nothing on the weekend.

When I was a bit younger, I used to just take a disposable razor and just shave with it dry. I can't believe I did that. My face used to always hurt afterwards, but I kept doing it.
leroyjenkins, not to be off-topic, but did you ever get that keyboard? What's happening with the music?
I think you may be mistaking me for someone else.

ThomasT said:
Not for me. I only trim mine about once a week. Much better than having to shave every day. Maybe your boyfriend's hair grows faster.

Only on his face. The hair on his head grows so slowly it's growing in the negative direction. :biggrin:

Let it grow, let is grow, let it grow. :biggrin:

Not going to read all the replies. I have been shaving for over 40 years.

If you are shaving against the grain you are causing 10 times the irritation of shaving with the grain. The tradeoff is you get a closer shave (who needs it?) and increase the chance of zits about 1000% if you have any tendency to get zits.

I get at least 100 shaves from a blade replacement too. If you want to save money soak your beard in hot water a couple minutes before shaving or applying soap. This softens the beard tremendously which not only reduces irritation but also makes the blades last much longer.

Fancy shaving cream? LOL, all you need is a bar of Neutrogena. A shaving cup, brush and soap is still a great way to shave, better than anything in a can and you don't have to throw shaving cream cans away. Why anyone would shave cold is beyond my understanding.

"I need moooore than 2 shaves a day" - Cheech and Chong doing Nixon

My "two bits". I have finer hair which makes shaving easier with a blade, and rougher with an electric razor (tends to pull instead of cut). You may try electric if you have thicker hair, but you must be meticulous about keeping it cleaned.

If I haven't shaved in a few days or haven't softened up the stubble in the shower I find shaving with the grain works best on the first cut, and then I go over it again against the grain to get a closer shave. (skip the closer shave if you have issue with bumps??)

Soften face with warm water but then splash on cold water and shave with cold water. That will tighten the face and make the hairs stand out more. (but may aggravate bumps, I don't know, try it and see.)

Try shaving with plain soap with no additives (ivory). When done rinse thoroughly, you might even take a quick 2nd shower.

Instead of aftershave or alcohol containing balms, try plain witch hazel. For an antiseptic use peroxide.

Try applying a thin coat of glycerine (dilute with water) just before shaving. It will lubricate without irritating. Try also a bit after shaving it will keep your face from drying out esp. if you live in a cold dry climate.

Try a shaving brush.

I bought some African Black Soap with a brush in Target and it is very soothing. I however use only small amounts of that mixed with regular soap and glycerine with my shaving brush.

I suggest at least a double blade. Try blades without lubricating strips in case that's a factor.

I've shaved in the past with plane vegetable oil. Try that if you think the soap is causing irritation.

Ultimately though if bumps are a real problem you may want to consult with a dermatologist.

You might try the following:
Do NOT use any shaving gel or cream when shaving; you ARE pushing chemicals you might be allergic to into your skin.

Instead, apply water liberally to your face DURING the shaving; leave the tap water running, and moisten the blade between each stroke.

It works perfectly fine, and you will find out if it is the cream you are allergic to, or if you shouldn't shave at all (still getting rashes etc).