Calculate electric field of infinite slab

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field for all z-values for an infinite plane slab with a given charge density. This can be solved using Gauss' law or by directly calculating the field using Coulomb's law, though the latter method is more tedious. A possible approach could be to solve the Poisson equation, del2V = -ρ/ε0, for inside and outside the slab separately and then finding the electric field using E = -del V.
zezima1

Homework Statement

An infinite plane slab of thickness 2d lies in the xy-plane with −d<z<d. Its charge density is given
as ρ = kz2 for −d<z< d and zero otherwise.
(i) Find the electric field, E(z), for all z.

Homework Equations

Gauss' law

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is pretty easy to do with a gaussian surface. However. I wanted to know if I could also do it by calculating the field directly from coulombs law (I know it would be far more tedious but I'm just curious) with the integral
1/4∏ε0Vρ/r2dv = 1/4∏ε0∫∫∫ρ/(x2+y2+z2) dxdydx where the integrals of y and x run from -∞ to ∞ and the integral of z runs from -d to d.

But if so, this integral would only hold for being outside the slab right?

Physics news on Phys.org
zezima1 said:

Homework Statement

An infinite plane slab of thickness 2d lies in the xy-plane with −d<z<d. Its charge density is given

Homework Equations

Gauss' law

This problem is pretty easy to do with a gaussian surface. However. I wanted to know if I could also do it by calculating the field directly from coulombs law (I know it would be far more tedious but I'm just curious) with the integral
1/4∏ε0Vρ/r2dv = 1/4∏ε0∫∫∫ρ/(x2+y2+z2) dxdydx where the integrals of y and x run from -∞ to ∞ and the integral of z runs from -d to d.

The integral
$$\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int_V \frac{\rho}{r^2}\,dv,$$ where r is understood to be the distance from the volume element dv to the point at which you're trying to calculate the E field, isn't quite correct because you're not taking into account the vector nature of the electric field. The integral as written sums the magnitude of the electric field, but that's not how superposition works for the E field.

Even if we ignore that error, your second integral
$$\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int_V \frac{\rho}{x^2+y^2+z^2}\,dv$$ doesn't equal the first one because r2 isn't equal to ##x^2+y^2+z^2##.

Still, your basic idea is right. You can calculate the electric field using this method, though as you noted, it's tedious.

Last edited:
but x2+y2+z2 does equal r2?

But you are right I didn't put account for the vector nature. from symmetry we see that the field must point along the z-axis. So therefore multiplying by a cosine(which can be written as a ratio of z and r) should do the trick - then I would be correct right?

Oops, there was a typo in my last post. Forgot the square.

##\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}## is the distance from the origin to the point (x,y,z). Unless you're calculating the electric field at the origin, it's not equal to the distance r which appears in Coulomb's law.

zezima1 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Gauss' law

You could try to solve the Poisson equation, del2V = -ρ/ε0.
At least that's not a vector integration, but maybe a painful 2nd order partial differential equation. You'd have to do it twice: once for inside the slab where ρ = ρ, then again outside the slab where ρ = 0.

Then E = -del V.
Bonne chance.

1. What is an infinite slab in terms of electricity?

An infinite slab is a hypothetical object that has an infinite surface area and is of uniform thickness. It is used in electric field calculations to simplify the process and make it easier to solve.

2. How do you calculate the electric field of an infinite slab?

The electric field of an infinite slab can be calculated by using the formula E = σ/2ε, where σ is the surface charge density and ε is the permittivity of the medium.

3. What factors affect the electric field of an infinite slab?

The electric field of an infinite slab is affected by the surface charge density, the thickness of the slab, and the permittivity of the medium in which it is placed.

4. Can the electric field of an infinite slab ever be zero?

Yes, the electric field of an infinite slab can be zero if the surface charge density is also zero. In this case, the slab would have no net charge and therefore no electric field.

5. How is the electric field of an infinite slab different from a finite slab?

The electric field of an infinite slab is constant throughout, while the electric field of a finite slab varies depending on the distance from the surface. Additionally, the electric field of an infinite slab is not affected by the edges or boundaries, unlike a finite slab which can have varying electric fields near its edges.