David Blaine electricity stunt

• Medical
  • Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary, a magician named David Blaine recently performed an endurance stunt in which he stood in a high voltage tesla coil for 72 hours. Despite wearing a protective suit, he was still shocked and had to be taken to the hospital. The shock caused an irregularity in his heartbeat, but it is not clear if it is permanent. Some speculate that fatigue may have played a role in his condition.
leroyjenkens
Did anyone see this? I just read about it. I don't watch TV, so I have no idea what's going on in the world. The internet is pretty good, but it didn't inform me about this.

I just read the Wikipedia article and it said "An ambulance transported him to a hospital where an EKG showed that the electrical shock had caused an irregularity in his heartbeat."

I guess this is kind of a physics question and a medical question.
1st, the suit he was wearing was supposed to be protecting him from the shock. And if it wasn't, how did he endure getting shocked for so long? Was it only partially shocking him?

And the "irregularity in his heartbeat" is permanent?

Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
According to this story:

http://news.yahoo.com/magician-david-blaine-unplugs-high-voltage-nyc-stunt-135044844.html

this was an endurance stunt. He spent 72 hours standing there. I would think fatigue had more to do with his irregular heart beat than the tesla coils.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the "David Blaine electricity stunt"?

The "David Blaine electricity stunt" was a performance in which magician and endurance artist David Blaine stood on a 20-foot-high platform surrounded by Tesla coils for 72 hours, receiving one million volts of electricity.

How did David Blaine survive the electricity stunt?

Blaine was outfitted with a chain mail suit and helmet, as well as a wire mesh that ran down the platform and into the ground. This allowed the electricity to flow through him without causing harm.

What was the purpose of the electricity stunt?

The purpose of the stunt was to showcase Blaine's endurance and ability to withstand extreme physical and mental challenges. It also served as a tribute to inventor Nikola Tesla and his work with electricity.

Were there any safety precautions in place during the electricity stunt?

Yes, there were several safety precautions in place to ensure Blaine's well-being. These included medical personnel on standby, a Faraday cage surrounding the platform, and a team of experts monitoring the Tesla coils for any malfunctions.

Has anyone else attempted a similar electricity stunt?

While there have been other performances involving electricity and endurance, no one has attempted a stunt exactly like David Blaine's. However, magician Criss Angel did perform a similar stunt in 2010, where he was surrounded by 250,000 volts of electricity for 24 hours.