Thermodynamics example in industry

In summary, thermodynamics is a subject that deals with the laws of thermodynamics that are used in engineering to design and improve machines. It can be tricky to understand the math, but it is worth learning in order to strengthen your skills with partial derivatives.
Outrageous
In thermodynamics, can give any example in industry that is involving the first law ,second law ,entropy ,third law ,compressibility,expansibility,I just want to know what is the point for me to study them~~~~
One complicated example will do , thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org

Any heat engine?

Oy. For (presumably) an engineering student to be asking 'why do I have to study thermodynamics' is just...wow.

The thermodynamic I have studied involve too many mathematics I really don't want to memorize, I totally don't know what is the point for me to do so, it makes me lost interest to study it without any reason, like why is it define the coefficient of expansibility =(1/V)(dv/dt)?, why do I need to study Cp-Cm for real gas?,how increasing entropy in universe will affect us? ...I have studied how refrigerator work and carnot engine which do not relate to the things I have mentioned.
I just need an example of practised machine that involve all the things in thermodyna just , An example will do,I will find answer on my own.
Thank you

I don't understand your question really. I mean, I do understand the question, but not the motive behind it. You want an example of a single machine that uses all the laws of thermodynamics so that you can understand why you need to learn thermodynamics? Dude, name practically any machine and you'll find thermodynamics in use. You may not find every single law and whatnot in every single machine, but so what?

Outrageous said:
The thermodynamic I have studied involve too many mathematics I really don't want to memorize, I totally don't know what is the point for me to do so, it makes me lost interest to study it without any reason, like why is it define the coefficient of expansibility =(1/V)(dv/dt)?

The only question is why you study at all if it doesn't interest you.

Outrageous said:
In thermodynamics, can give any example in industry that is involving the first law ,second law ,entropy ,third law ,compressibility,expansibility,I just want to know what is the point for me to study them~~~~
One complicated example will do , thank you

A chemical plant has chemical reactors, compressors, heat exchangers, distillation columns, cooling towers, evaporators, absorption columns, ion exchange columns, etc. Engineers need to use thermodynamics to design and improve all these operations and equipment.

An automobile has heat exchangers (in the coolant system), chemical reaction and compression within the cylinders, gas dynamics in the intake and exhaust manifolds, fluid mechanics and heat transfer in the lubrication system, redox chemical reactions and equilibria in the battery, conversion of mechanical energy to electrical energy in the generator, etc., etc.

These are only two examples. Watch the Science Channel program How Do They Make It? and see how many operations in industrial processes required understanding of Thermo for their design and operation.

Refrigerator.

BiP

Internal combustion engine.
Jet engine.
Rocket engine.
Air Conditioner.
Nuclear power plant.
Steam engine.

I find thermo dynamics a bit challenging myself. It's not so much the math as the chicken and the egg thing. There are things that I have to, more or less, take on faith. For example, I believe that heat can't fow "uphill", but I can't prove it.

The math can be a bit tricky. A good reason to learn the math is that you will strengthen your skills with partial derivatives. Something you will need in abundance.

These might be helpful to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCd4W7DJUKA&feature=relmfu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjK4DiXxiF4&feature=relmfu

Sorry about the mangled URLs. I couldn't get back to the site in time to fix them.

I have to retract what I said about not finding the math difficult. I'm reading Feynman's chapters on thermodynamics, and it's not as easy as I remembered it to be. What makes it difficult is that there are multiple, interacting parameters.

The problem of the chicken and the egg is there as well. Trying to keep the axioms and conclusions straight is a challenge at times.

Here's an example of where thermodynamics can be applied to engineering. How much heat would be needed to cause the beams in WTC7 to "walk off" their supports and lead to the global collaps of the building?

Thank everyone for help, although there are a lot of things you guys mentioned that I don't really understand ,I find thermodynamics more and more interesting.

1. What is thermodynamics and how does it apply to industry?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science concerned with the study of heat and its transformation into other forms of energy. In industry, thermodynamics is used to understand and control the transfer of heat and energy in various processes, such as power generation, refrigeration, and chemical reactions.

2. Can you give an example of thermodynamics in industry?

An example of thermodynamics in industry is the operation of a steam turbine in a power plant. The heat from burning fossil fuels is used to produce steam, which then drives the turbine to generate electricity. This process follows the principles of thermodynamics, where heat is converted into mechanical energy and then into electrical energy.

3. How does thermodynamics impact energy efficiency in industry?

Thermodynamics plays a critical role in energy efficiency in industry. By understanding how heat and energy are transferred and transformed, engineers can design more efficient systems that minimize energy losses and maximize the use of available resources. This leads to cost savings and reduces the environmental impact of industrial processes.

4. What are the laws of thermodynamics and how do they apply to industry?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy. These include the conservation of energy, the increase of entropy, and the impossibility of achieving absolute zero temperature. In industry, these laws are applied to optimize processes and ensure the efficient use of energy.

5. How is thermodynamics used in the design of industrial processes?

Thermodynamics is used in the design of industrial processes to ensure that they are efficient, safe, and sustainable. Engineers use thermodynamic principles to determine the best materials, operating conditions, and energy sources for a given process. This helps to minimize costs and maximize the output of the process while considering environmental and safety factors.