How Can Elephants Fly and Penguins Allow It?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the voting for Member Awards will be open on Tuesday, December 4th and will close at midnight CST on December 11th. The award ceremony will be the next day! You have 5 more days to impress! :)
Member awards will be open for voting on Tuesday Dec 4th and will close at midnight CST on Dec 11th. Award ceremony will be the next day! You have 5 more days to impress! :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Greg Bernhardt said:
You have 5 more days to impress! :)
OOOHH! I've seen some pretty impressive posts already, but yeah, it's time to STRUT YOUR STUFF! :biggrin:

It's too late to impress others! :biggrin:

Lisa! said:
It's too late to impress others! :biggrin:
I'm still taking *donations*, er, I mean *suggestions*. :uhh:

Evo said:
I'm still taking *donations*, er, I mean *suggestions*. :uhh:

Do you still like Teddy Ruxpin?:!)

lisa! said:
do you still like teddy ruxpin?:!)
yes! :!)

So where is the opening ceremony at this year? Last year we had it at Evo's garage and it was...fantastic.
This year we need to run a Bunsen burner around.

Drakkith said:
So where is the opening ceremony at this year? Last year we had it at Evo's garage and it was...fantastic.
This year we need to run a Bunsen burner around.

Negative. We are definitely not letting Evo run around with a Bunsen Burner. Don't you remember what happened that time with the chainsaw?! :bugeye:

berkeman said:
Negative. We are definitely not letting Evo run around with a Bunsen Burner. Don't you remember what happened that time with the chainsaw?! :bugeye:

I still have nightmares about that incident. That poor family...

Drakkith said:
I still have nightmares about that incident. That poor family...

of racoons...

Greg Bernhardt said:
of racoons...

...and their christmas tree...

Drakkith said:
...and their christmas tree...
But after the unfortunate mishap which destroyed their home, PF members came together and built them a new home, solar powered, sustainable...

and Greg chipped in internet access and a lifetime PF membership. :biggrin: The oldest son is now a budding physicist, the first racoon to attend University.

Still brings tears to my eyes.

And woodchips to our feet.

Evo said:
I've seen some pretty impressive posts already, ...

It's amazing how the quantity of quality post in the engineering forums I follow has grown in the past year. There are so many deserving members.

dlgoff said:
It's amazing how the quantity of quality post in the engineering forums I follow has grown in the past year. There are so many deserving members.

I agree. There are many times now when I recognize a username who has replied in a thread when I'm viewing the top level of each forum, and I know that I don't have to click into the thread to help out. Their level of expertise and patient help is that high. And I know if there is a problem in the thread, it will be reported. Very nice!

berkeman said:
I agree. There are many times now when I recognize a username who has replied in a thread when I'm viewing the top level of each forum, and I know that I don't have to click into the thread to help out. Their level of expertise and patient help is that high. And I know if there is a problem in the thread, it will be reported. Very nice!

Contrast that to my own posts, where Phinds has to send me nasty e-mails about my grammar! :biggrin:

Gosh, I want a badge. I want to be a homework helper too. But I am also stuck with my own problems since I'm finishing my masters. Next year maybe I'll be able to help more and be active here not asking but answering. LoL.

Polls open tomorrow!

Before I forget, I want to mention a rule change. We have some super extraordinaire members here who have won awards multiple years. No doubt those badges are starting to become heavy! In order to give them a break and to give other members opportunities, we are leaving last year's winners off the ballots. Thank you and game on!

Hi Greg, that's not quite fair. Everyone should get a chance, even mathwonk. :biggrin: (Lavinia wins).

dextercioby said:
Hi Greg, that's not quite fair. Everyone should get a chance, even mathwonk. :biggrin: (Lavinia wins).
Mathwonk was one of the members that suggested the new policy IIRC.

I say screw voting and fight for the title! Every nominee gets a fish of their choice and a ham sandwich for the fight!

Drakkith said:
I say screw voting and fight for the title! Every nominee gets a fish of their choice and a ham sandwich for the fight!
:biggrin:

Drakkith said:

someone is trying to get in the best humor poll... :D

Greg Bernhardt said:
someone is trying to get in the best humor poll... :D

Let's not bring my amazing upper arms into this.

Drakkith said:
Let's not bring my amazing upper arms into this.

...that made me lol...

It's here! https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=222

Wow. So many deserving members. Thanks to all those nominated.

Obviously too late for this year, but out of curiosity, how do you go about nominating a member? There are some deserving people that I can think of who were left off, and not just the ineligible ones who won last year.

boneh3ad said:
Obviously too late for this year, but out of curiosity, how do you go about nominating a member? There are some deserving people that I can think of who were left off, and not just the ineligible ones who won last year.

The candidates are nominated by the Mentors. :smile:

boneh3ad said:
I can think of who were left off, and not just the ineligible ones who won last year.

We all agree! Unfortunately there must be a reasonable limit.

So is there a grace period before we can start running attack ads to discredit our competition, or are we good to go now? The people need to know that the other homework helper nominees are out of touch with middle class students and will outsource all of our jobs overseas.

Mute said:
So is there a grace period before we can start running attack ads to discredit our competition, or are we good to go now? The people need to know that the other homework helper nominees are out of touch with middle class students and will outsource all of our jobs overseas.

:rofl:

Mute said:

lol are you sure you're not trying to get added to the best humor poll!? :D

Greg Bernhardt said:
lol are you sure you're not trying to get added to the best humor poll!? :D

Hm. It's tempting, but I don't know if I have enough funds to run attack ads in three categories this year... what are the forum rules on super PACs, again?

<h2>1. How can elephants fly and penguins allow it?</h2><p>The idea of flying elephants and allowing penguins to do so is purely fictional and not scientifically possible. Elephants are too heavy to fly and penguins do not have the physical adaptations necessary for flight. These are just imaginative concepts often seen in cartoons and movies.</p><h2>2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea of flying elephants and penguins?</h2><p>No, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea of flying elephants and penguins. These animals have not evolved to have the ability to fly and their physical characteristics do not allow for it.</p><h2>3. Can elephants and penguins fly with the help of technology?</h2><p>While it is possible for humans to create technology that allows for flight, it is highly unlikely that elephants and penguins would be able to use such technology. Their bodies are not designed for flight and it would require a significant amount of energy and strength for them to fly, which they do not possess.</p><h2>4. Are there any animals that can fly like elephants and penguins?</h2><p>No, there are no animals that can fly like elephants and penguins. Some animals, such as birds and bats, have the ability to fly, but they have evolved specifically for flight and have unique physical adaptations that allow them to do so.</p><h2>5. Could elephants and penguins ever evolve to fly in the future?</h2><p>It is highly unlikely that elephants and penguins would evolve to fly in the future. Evolution occurs over a long period of time and is driven by natural selection and adaptation to the environment. Since these animals are not adapted for flight and do not have the necessary physical characteristics, it is not possible for them to evolve to fly.</p>

1. How can elephants fly and penguins allow it?

The idea of flying elephants and allowing penguins to do so is purely fictional and not scientifically possible. Elephants are too heavy to fly and penguins do not have the physical adaptations necessary for flight. These are just imaginative concepts often seen in cartoons and movies.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea of flying elephants and penguins?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea of flying elephants and penguins. These animals have not evolved to have the ability to fly and their physical characteristics do not allow for it.

3. Can elephants and penguins fly with the help of technology?

While it is possible for humans to create technology that allows for flight, it is highly unlikely that elephants and penguins would be able to use such technology. Their bodies are not designed for flight and it would require a significant amount of energy and strength for them to fly, which they do not possess.

4. Are there any animals that can fly like elephants and penguins?

No, there are no animals that can fly like elephants and penguins. Some animals, such as birds and bats, have the ability to fly, but they have evolved specifically for flight and have unique physical adaptations that allow them to do so.

5. Could elephants and penguins ever evolve to fly in the future?

It is highly unlikely that elephants and penguins would evolve to fly in the future. Evolution occurs over a long period of time and is driven by natural selection and adaptation to the environment. Since these animals are not adapted for flight and do not have the necessary physical characteristics, it is not possible for them to evolve to fly.