Solute vs Solvent: A 9th Grade Exploration

• Thread starter gcn_zelda
  • Start date
In summary, a solute is a substance that can be dissolved into another substance, while a solvent is a substance that can dissolve other substances. Dissolving is defined as the act of changing the purity of a substance by causing it to pass into another substance. However, when considering examples such as pouring water into Kool-Aid, it is important to consider the stability at temperature, pressure, and chemical potentials of the solvent and solute. Therefore, using a dictionary to support scientific arguments should be done with caution.
gcn_zelda
I'm in College Preparatory Biology in high school(9th grade) and my friend was trying to prove my teacher wrong(it's fun :P).
He said that a solute is the same thing as a solvent.

According to his dictionary, a solute is a substance that can be dissolved into another substance.
Also according to his dictionary, a solvent is a substance that can dissolve anyother substance.

My friend looked up dissolve and it said "the act of changing the purity of a substance by causing it to pass into another substance"

My friend argued that if you pour Kool-Aid into water, the Kool-Aid would be the solute, and the water would be the solvent, right?
If you pour water into the Kool-Aid, however, the water would be the solute, and the Kool-Aid would be solvent.

So Kool-Aid = Solute or Solvent
and Water = Solute or Solvent.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
That might be a bad example because water doesn't disolve in kool aid.

You should probably use something different like alcohol and water, or gasoline and oil if you want solution in both directions.

Everything is soluble in everything else? Close --- needs some qualifications regarding stabilities at T, P, and chemical potentials of solvent and solute.

Water in Kool-aid? Sure --- think about dry Kool-aid vs. the stuff that's been sitting in the cupboard all summer in 100% humidity. Pouring water into Kool-aid that's already in solution? Nope, that's a dilution process.

Be careful (or caution your friend to be careful) using a dictionary to support scientific arguments --- Merriam Webster, Roget, and the Oxford are NOT recognized authorities on the very specific uses of words within scientific contexts.

1. What is the difference between a solute and a solvent?

A solute is a substance that is dissolved in a solvent, while a solvent is a substance that dissolves the solute. In other words, solutes are the substances being dissolved, and solvents are the substances doing the dissolving.

2. How do I determine which substance is the solute and which is the solvent?

In order to determine which substance is the solute and which is the solvent, you must first determine which substance is present in the larger amount. The substance present in the larger amount is typically the solvent, while the substance present in the smaller amount is the solute.

3. Can a substance be both a solute and a solvent?

Yes, a substance can be both a solute and a solvent in different solutions. For example, water can be a solvent when it dissolves salt, but it can also be a solute when it is dissolved in alcohol.

4. How does the concentration of a solute affect the properties of a solution?

The concentration of a solute in a solution can affect its properties in various ways. For example, a higher concentration of a solute can increase the boiling point and decrease the freezing point of a solution. It can also affect the color, density, and viscosity of the solution.

5. What is the importance of understanding solutes and solvents?

Understanding solutes and solvents is crucial in various fields of science, such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science. It helps us understand the behavior and properties of substances in different solutions, and it allows us to design and create new substances with specific properties by manipulating solutes and solvents.