Permutations and combinations

In summary, the number of possible combinations when selecting 4 letters from the word "WINDOWS" is 22, and the number of possible arrangements is 120. These calculations take into account the restrictions of only choosing 4 letters and the letters repeating within the word.
fork
If 4 letters are selected from the 7 letters of the word "WINDOWS", calculate the number of possible
a)combinations.
b)arrangemants.
I have got the answer but I still don't understand how to calculate it.
Thanks.:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far? How would you handle the problem if all the letters in the word were different from each other?

I know how to do it now.
a)5C4+5C3+5C2
b)5C4 x4!+5C3 x4!+5C2 x4!/2!

right?
Thanks.

fork said:
I know how to do it now.
a)5C4+5C3+5C2
right?
Thanks.

a) is not right. Because you have a sequence of length 4 from 7 different symbols, it should be 7C4.

b) for arrangements, it's a bit different. I was taught to do it the following way:

find the # of repeating letters so it's only really counted once and divide with the overall # of symbols possible so:

7!/2! would be the number of total arrangements because the 7 is the number of letters divided by the 2! which is the repeating the letter, W.

Im also having trouble with this type of question. Please help + explain how you got the correct answer anybody.
~I'm just stumped how it says you must pick 4 letters, instead of just using the ones you have to make an arrangement, and how the letters repeat. If it was only just one of these restrictions, eg How many ways can WINDOWS be arranged in a straight line = 7!/2! (Which is what forevergone was incorrectly referring to: I don't think his answer is right because he is not including the restriction of choosing only 4 letters), then I can do all of them, its just both of those restrictions I am confused.

Thanks a lot!

Wait, you're right. Sorry about that. I was considering for all different arrangements of length 7. If you want only of length 4, then it's simply a permutation question. You have 7 symbols from a sequence of length 4 to choose from.

**It should be 7P4

But forevergone, there are 2 W's, and so some of the permutations will repeat - eg. WINW and WINW.. how do you know which W is which?

See but that's the thing. There are 2W's but theyre included inside the word, so what permutation does is that it looks like the same words, but the placeholders in which it holds the W is different. Think of a W in the first letter as an apple and the other as a pear. If you switch the order, it'd be:

apple I N pear

If you switched the other W's around:

pear I N apple

It's sort of that general idea. It's because that there are 2 W's in the word that such cases like this arise. What 7P4 does is out of those 4 symbols, it assures that it selects no more that 1 letter once to use in those 4 sequences. No such letter will be repeated again.

I don't really get what that means... could you please explain your post further, forevergone? TiA

fork said:
I know how to do it now.
a)5C4+5C3+5C2
right?
Thanks.

Yeah, these are right. Explanations are:

a)
no "w" 5c4 (choose 4 letters among 5 letters other than W)
one "W" 5C3 (1 "W" and choose 3 letters among 5 letters)
two "W"s 5C2

b)
no "w" 5C4*4!
one "W" 5C3*4!
two "W"s 5C2*4!/2! (divide by 2! because there are two "w"s)

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations refer to the arrangement of a set of objects in a specific order, while combinations refer to the selection of objects from a set without considering their order.

2. How do you calculate the number of permutations?

The number of permutations can be calculated by using the formula n!/(n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects to be arranged.

3. When do we use permutations and when do we use combinations?

We use permutations when the order of the objects matters, such as in arranging a sequence of events. We use combinations when the order does not matter, such as in selecting a group of people for a committee.

4. Can you have repetitions in permutations and combinations?

In permutations, repetitions are not allowed, as each object must be used only once. In combinations, repetitions can be allowed, depending on the context of the problem.

5. How do you use permutations and combinations in real-life situations?

Permutations and combinations can be used in a variety of fields, such as statistics, probability, and genetics. In real-life, they can be used to calculate the number of possible outcomes in a game, the number of ways to arrange a set of items on a shelf, or the number of possible genetic combinations in offspring.