GR, SR and the Sagnac effect question

In summary, the conversation discusses the necessity of general relativity (GR) in explaining the Sagnac effect, a phenomenon where the receiver of a signal experiences a different time delay depending on its motion relative to the source. While some sources state that GR is necessary for an accurate prediction, others argue that special relativity (SR) or even classical explanations are also sufficient. The conversation does not provide a definitive answer but highlights the complexity and various perspectives on the topic.
TheAntiRelative
I've read in multiple locations that GR is necessary to properly explain a co-rotating perspective/observer of the experiment.

Additionally, SR can explain the experience of non-inertial observer.

The above two statements seem somewhat conflicting and leads to my question. Why is it that GR is required to properly predict the Sagnac effect. What is it that causes the SR explanation to be approximate but inadequate for an exact answer?

I'm not looking for the calculation, I'm looking for the reasoning required to say: GR takes X into account while SR does not.

Physics news on Phys.org
The sagnac effect doesn't require either SR or GR - it is simply a consequence of the fact that the receiver is moving away from the source for one path and toward the source for the other path - the path can be rectangular or circular - or even back and forth. In GPS there is always a correction for what is called the one way sagnac effect -some time correction is required for example when the satellite signal is must catch up to the receiver which moves a short distance due to the Earth's rotation during transit

Here is an interesting discussion of the effect.
:smile:

Right-On mijoon - that was the analysis i had in mind but didn't have the citation handy -

http://www.rta.nato.int/Pubs/RDP.asp?RDP=RTO-AG-339

There's a link to the NATO explanation that was prepared by a coalition of scientists and says GR is required... Hence my confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
29 megabytes! :bugeye:

Maybe it will finish downloading by the time I finish my next class..

TheAntiRelative said:
I've read in multiple locations that GR is necessary to properly explain a co-rotating perspective/observer of the experiment.

Additionally, SR can explain the experience of non-inertial observer.

The above two statements seem somewhat conflicting and leads to my question. Why is it that GR is required to properly predict the Sagnac effect. What is it that causes the SR explanation to be approximate but inadequate for an exact answer?

I'm not looking for the calculation, I'm looking for the reasoning required to say: GR takes X into account while SR does not.

Neither SR of GR are NECESSARY.
Both are SUFFICIENT.
As an aside, classical (Galilean) explanation is also SUFFICIENT.

1. What is the difference between General Relativity (GR) and Special Relativity (SR)?

General Relativity is a theory of gravitation developed by Albert Einstein, which explains the force of gravity as a result of the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass and energy. Special Relativity, also developed by Einstein, explains the relationship between space and time for objects moving at a constant velocity. Essentially, GR is a more comprehensive theory that includes the principles of SR.

2. How does the Sagnac effect demonstrate the principles of Relativity?

The Sagnac effect is a phenomenon where the speed of light in a rotating frame of reference is different depending on the direction of rotation. This effect is predicted by both GR and SR, as they both account for the principles of Relativity, specifically the principle of the constancy of the speed of light.

3. What is the significance of the Sagnac effect in modern technology?

The Sagnac effect is used in modern technology, particularly in navigation systems, to accurately measure rotation and determine position. This is because the effect allows for precise measurements of rotation, which is crucial in applications such as GPS navigation.

4. Can the Sagnac effect be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Sagnac effect can be observed in everyday life. For example, if you are on a rotating platform, you may notice that the speed of light appears to be different depending on the direction of rotation. This is due to the Sagnac effect and is a result of the principles of Relativity.

5. How does the Sagnac effect impact our understanding of time and space?

The Sagnac effect, along with the principles of Relativity, has greatly impacted our understanding of time and space. It has led to the realization that time and space are not absolute, but rather relative to the observer's frame of reference. This has significant implications in various fields, such as physics and cosmology, and has helped shape our understanding of the universe.