Lisa Randall on Coast to Coast Sat. 2/25

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sat
In summary: MIH, I hadn't checked and often forget to these days. [Noory is such a dweeb]I don't watch Noory, so I can't comment.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2006/02/25.html

Joining Art Bell is Prof. of Physics at Harvard University, Lisa Randall, who will be talking about her book Warped Passages, and the fascinating idea that there may be an extra dimension just a few inches away from us.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
Joining Art Bell is Prof. of Physics at Harvard University, Lisa Randall, who will be talking about her book Warped Passages, and the fascinating idea that there may be an extra dimension just a few inches away from us.
Since you brought it up, that's where I'm posting from now: just a few inches away from you.

Math Is Hard said:
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2006/02/25.html

OOoooh. She's the attractive one too :tongue2:

I heard her speak on her models at Laurence University in Appleton WI last month. She is indeed attractive and very, very smart. That's a good call by Bell, who I don't usually have much good to say for.

selfAdjoint said:
I heard her speak on her models at Laurence University in Appleton WI last month. She is indeed attractive and very, very smart. That's a good call by Bell, who I don't usually have much good to say for.

Brilliant is always important :tongue2:

selfAdjoint said:
This is what I was wondering about: is it a good call for her to become associated with him?

I'm surprised he was able to book her at all - but then again, she does have a book to promote. This appearance definitely won't hurt sales.

Ten million listeners does help sales.

thanks MIH, I hadn't checked and often forget to these days. [Noory is such a dweeb]

so most physicists feel that she looks great. How come then she never got married? Does it mean that she feels she is too smart for most of the harvard ph.d. men around her? Are female physicists who are not as attractive even more hopeless, since they're less attractive to men, yet they're equally selective because of their intellect?

zoobyshoe said:
This is what I was wondering about: is it a good call for her to become associated with him?

Bell has quite a few respected physicists in his line up. If Brian Greene is willing who can really object? And note that even though many people have issues with Kaku, he has written one or two books that are required reading for some Ph.D. students. Also, Seth Shostak is a regular - considered a little fringe perhaps, but I think most scientists consider the SETI project worthy of the effort. I know there are at least several other physicists, and certainly a good number of respected scientists from other disciplines interviewed by Bell over the years. In fact, I found Bell through Kaku and not the UFO stuff. Of course that was a great surprise - Bell's shows was pretty much UFO central back then.

Last edited:
anon2000 said:
so most physicists feel that she looks great. How come then she never got married? Does it mean that she feels she is too smart for most of the harvard ph.d. men around her?

maybe she's dating around and haven't found the one yet. who knows. why is this even an issue. if she feels she's too smart for most of the harvard phd men then i'd really be concerned about this kind of attitude but i don't know her, haven't spoken to her and haven't gone out on a date with her so i can't tell. but I am sure she's not that shallow.

Are female physicists who are not as attractive even more hopeless, since they're less attractive to men, yet they're equally selective because of their intellect?
well you know even janet "the stormtrooper" reno has her admirers too. albeit from a smaller pool of men. i don't find j-lo attractive but I am sure plenty of other guys do. they all have different kinds of men they attract and this goes to guys as well. how many tall, amazonian beauties do you see in the mall with a short guy who's so-so looking? beauty is subjective after all.

Last edited:
The_Professional said:
maybe she's dating around and haven't found the one yet. who knows. why is this even an issue. if she feels she's too smart for most of the harvard phd men then i'd really be concerned about this kind of attitude but i don't know her, haven't spoken to her and haven't gone out on a date with her so i can't tell. but I am sure she's not that shallow.

Its just the brilliant women are so sexy by default, even if they aren't supermodels. Once they start talking theoretical physics and tensor fields, I'm done for.

franznietzsche said:
Its just the brilliant women are so sexy by default, even if they aren't supermodels. Once they start talking theoretical physics and tensor fields, I'm done for.

sure that's fine, but all those are the superficial stuff after a while. id check to see if she has a good attitude, high interest level and if she stands by me.

The_Professional said:
sure that's fine, but all those are the superficial stuff after a while. id check to see if she has a good attitude, high interest level and if she stands by me.
Wait what?

Its shallow if I find the fact that a woman is intelligent and my intellectual equal to be very attractive? Right, ok then. I'll go back to picking dates by cup size then I guess...:rolleyes:

The_Professional said:
haha, she looks beat. i was about to say she has this jodie foster thing goin until i saw that pic.
Probably not fair of me to link to that one, it's the worst there was, the snapshot equivalent of a DMV photo.

Ivan Seeking said:
Bell has quite a few respected physicists in his line up. If Brian Greene is willing who can really object? And note that even though many people have issues with Kaku, he has written one or two books that are required reading for some Ph.D. students. Also, Seth Shostak is a regular - considered a little fringe perhaps, but I think most scientists consider the SETI project worthy of the effort. I know there are at least several other physicists, and certainly a good number of respected scientists from other disciplines interviewed by Bell over the years. In fact, I found Bell through Kaku and not the UFO stuff. Of course that was a great surprise - Bell's shows was pretty much UFO central back then.
Yeah, I'm not sure what the repercussions would be at all. It just makes me wonder if it's a good move. I can't tell.

franznietzsche said:
Wait what?

Its shallow if I find the fact that a woman is intelligent and my intellectual equal to be very attractive? Right, ok then. I'll go back to picking dates by cup size then I guess...:rolleyes:

If you will go long term with a girl you'd want somebody smarter than you with a good attitude and who's loyal.

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
I can't tell.

That's exactly where he wants you. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
That's exactly where he wants you. :biggrin:
Watch it. Remember, I'm just a few inches away from you in an alternate dimension.

The_Professional said:
If you will go long term with a girl you'd want somebody smarter than you with a good attitude and who's loyal.

Right, intelligence is superficial, i got it. Loyalty, obedience, that's what counts. Gotcha.

I don't bother looking for that, if its there great, if its not it wouldn't work out anyway. So instead I look for things that you can actually identify without wasting a year with a person.

franznietzsche said:
Right, intelligence is superficial, i got it. Loyalty, obedience, that's what counts. Gotcha.

I don't bother looking for that, if its there great, if its not it wouldn't work out anyway. So instead I look for things that you can actually identify without wasting a year with a person.

Let me be specific, intelligence to go along with the qualities I mentioned is important. Would you want somebody intelligent but has a bad attitude and who's not loyal? if that's your thing you go do that. And youre talking about wasting a year? if you find "the one" youre supposed to date her for two friggin years and watch their character and attitude closely because this is the one youre going to live with for the next 40 years if you decide to marry this person. But until then, you can date around. Wouldnt it be better to find out about a person's major issues earlier in dating than after youve had 3 kids and a 30 year mortgage. The sooner you find out the better off you are.

Last edited:
Zooby, from I can tell she can pretty much do as she pleases. She is beyond that sort of "guilt by association" nonsense. And based on her achievements listed, I doubt that many people would care.

Last edited:
franznietzsche said:
Wait what?

Why should anyone form of attraction be "deeper" or "shallower" than another? If the only thing that matters to you is that a women is attractive to you, does it really matter what it is that's attracting you?

I'm kind of with the other gentleman on this. I'd take a halfway decent-looking women with an average IQ and a high school education who is a nice person, not fickle, and willing to stay the course over someone who I find hot but might be off with the wind at the drop of a hat. Of course, if you can have both, that's even better.

Of course, this is all in theory. In practice, I've always just gone with the chicks that made me hot. I do imagine that someday I might come to regret doing this, though.

Is anyone listening to the show?

She suggested that there might be life in alternate dimensions based on an entirely different rules of chemistry as compared to our universe.

Cool.

Edit: She was clear that this is just speculation and not a theory or hypothesis; it seems conceivable that it might be possible, from her POV, I think is a fair way to represent her statements.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Is anyone listening to the show?

She suggested that there might be life in alternate dimensions based on an entirely different rules of chemistry as compared to our universe.

Cool.
What's the station? I just got back from my concert

edit: Nvm, I'm dumb, its KFI 640.

loseyourname said:
Why should anyone form of attraction be "deeper" or "shallower" than another? If the only thing that matters to you is that a women is attractive to you, does it really matter what it is that's attracting you?

I disagree entirely. I've dated women solely for their looks before. I've dated women because they were intelligent. The second groups are the one where the relationships were worthwhile, where I respected them. Its very difficult for me to respect as an equal someone who is not my intellectual equal. And you can't have a worthwhile relationship with someone you don't respect as an equal. I say this from experience. Maybe you can have relationships with people you don't respect as an equal, but I can't.

OH NO! ART! Not the Philadelphia Experiment! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The_Professional said:
Let me be specific, intelligence to go along with the qualities I mentioned is important. Would you want somebody intelligent but has a bad attitude and who's not loyal? if that's your thing you go do that. And youre talking about wasting a year? if you find "the one" youre supposed to date her for two friggin years and watch their character and attitude closely because this is the one youre going to live with for the next 40 years if you decide to marry this person. But until then, you can date around. Wouldnt it be better to find out about a person's major issues earlier in dating than after youve had 3 kids and a 30 year mortgage. The sooner you find out the better off you are.

You misunderstand what I'm saying.

Intelligence is the FIRST thing I look for. If the other things aren't there, the relationship won't work out anyway, and they are not things you can actually 'look' for.

Ivan Seeking said:
OH NO! ART! Not the Philadelphia Experiment! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I know. I know. Silly, silly art...

Great show though...

Ivan Seeking said:
Great show though...

yup . :rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
Zooby, from I can tell she can pretty much do as she pleases. She is beyond that sort of "guilt by association" nonsense. And based on her achievements listed, I doubt that many people would care.
I'm just thinking "Harvard on Art Bell? Is that making Bell look good or Harvard look bad?"
Ivan Seeking said:

Cool.

Edit: She was clear that this is just speculation and not a theory or hypothesis; it seems conceivable that it might be possible, from her POV, I think is a fair way to represent her statements.
Here I'm thinking: "She's playing to his audience."

Randall's bio brief - http://physics.harvard.edu/people/facpages/randall.html

I don't listen to Art Bell.

As for "the suggestion that there might be life in alternate dimensions based on an entirely different rules of chemistry as compared to our universe," Sagan used to speculate about matters like life/civilizations on other planets. However, considering other or alternate dimensions seems to be in the realm of science fiction.