Modern Physics, Finding wave length problem wee

In summary, the modern physics table has trouble getting started. The directions say to use the Bohr diagram to complete the table. However, the table does not have the correct wavelength for the transition between n = 4 and n = 2.
mr_coffee
Modern Physics, Finding wave length problem! wee!

Ello ello!
I'm having troubles getting this table started. The directions are:
Use the Bohr diagram shown below to complete the following table.
bohrdiagram.jpg

Tell the wavelength and color of light emitted when the following energy level changes occur.
Orbital change
n = 4 to n = 1
Wavelength = ?

Color/Type
Select:
red/UV/green/IR/blue

Well once i find the wave length I'm pretty sure i can just look at the table, and find the correct color it corresponds too.

So if n = 4, that looks like its pointing to the UV spectrum, but what are those numbers under it? such as: 397 389 etc

So it goes to n =1, that means it is going to give off light. and n =1 looks lkike its still in the UV spectrum. so would i take the wave lengths:
397 - 389 = 8nm? I'm assuming those numbers are in nano meters. So the color type would be UV which i got right. But I'm still confused on the wave length. I subbmited 8nm as my answer and it was wrong.Any help would be great! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
In the circular diagram, there is an arrow that signals the n=4 to n=1 transition. The arrow signifies the photon that is emitted when an electron drops from the n=4 to n=1 state.

Yes the numbers are the wavelength in nanometers.

mr_coffee said:
Well once i find the wave length I'm pretty sure i can just look at the table, and find the correct color it corresponds too.
Just follow the arrows; they point to the wavelength of the photon emitted for each transition.

So if n = 4, that looks like its pointing to the UV spectrum, but what are those numbers under it? such as: 397 389 etc
Each line in the spectrum has its wavelength listed.

So it goes to n =1, that means it is going to give off light. and n =1 looks lkike its still in the UV spectrum. so would i take the wave lengths:
397 - 389 = 8nm? I'm assuming those numbers are in nano meters. So the color type would be UV which i got right. But I'm still confused on the wave length. I subbmited 8nm as my answer and it was wrong.Any help would be great!
No need to subtract anything. Find the n = 4 to 1 transition, follow the arrow, then read off the wavelength.

thanks guys that worked for the first, the answer was: 389 nm, and it was UV. I just looked at n4 and followed the arrow to the 389.
but i went onto the next one which is:
n = 4 n = 2, i wrote down the wave length of the n = 2, and the n =4, both wrong and its also saying its not even UV light anymore. But if u follow the arrows n = 2, and n = 4 are both in the UV. Any ideas what I'm misinterpreting? thanks!

A wavelength corresponds to a transition between two levels, so to say that you found the wavelength for n = 2 or n = 4 doesn't make sense. Find the arrow that shows the electron falling from n = 4 to n = 2; that's the one you want.

Oo i got what your saying now! thanks a ton Doc!

1. What is modern physics and how is it different from classical physics?

Modern physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level. It differs from classical physics in that it takes into account the theories of relativity and quantum mechanics, which explain phenomena that cannot be explained by classical physics.

2. What is the wave length problem and why is it important in modern physics?

The wavelength problem is a phenomenon in which particles, such as electrons, exhibit wave-like behavior. This was a major challenge to the classical understanding of particles as discrete, solid objects. It is important in modern physics because it helped pave the way for the development of quantum mechanics and the understanding of the dual nature of matter.

3. How is the wave length of a particle determined?

The wavelength of a particle is determined by its momentum and mass according to the de Broglie wavelength equation: λ = h/mv, where h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and v is its velocity.

4. What is the significance of finding the wave length of a particle?

Finding the wavelength of a particle allows us to understand its behavior in terms of both particle and wave properties. This is crucial in modern physics as it helps explain phenomena such as diffraction, interference, and the uncertainty principle.

5. How does the wave length of a particle change with its energy?

According to the wave-particle duality principle, the wavelength of a particle is inversely proportional to its energy. This means that as the energy of a particle increases, its wavelength decreases. This relationship is described by the de Broglie wavelength equation.