I am a born mathematician (if my myers-briggs result is anything to go by)

In summary, the career counsellor had an INTJ-specific sheet with information about this personality type. The INTJ is a highly competent person who is driven to synthesize their concepts into solid plans of action. They have a tremendous amount of ability to accomplish great things. They are usually highly respected by others. On a personal level, the INTJ who practices tolerances and puts effort into effectively communicating their insights to others has everything in his or her power to lead a rich and rewarding life.
fourier jr
...or should i say 'made or socialized' mathematician? whatever, my inspiration just took yet another major shot in the arm. here I am; every word hits the nail on the head:
http://www.personalitypage.com/INTJ.html

the career counsellor i met with had a sheet with similar info on it, but there was a bullet that said "when committed..." intjs are determined, single-minded etc. when in school i wasn't & i think it showed. since then I've been very different. the t (=thinking vs feeling) wasn't very clear though; according to the test, depending on the situation i could just as easily use my thoughts or my feelings to make a decision. the other three things (i, n, j) were very clear though, especially the i & n (introverted, intuitive).

INTJs live in the world of ideas and strategic planning. They value intelligence, knowledge, and competence, and typically have high standards in these regards, which they continuously strive to fulfill. To a somewhat lesser extent, they have similar expectations of others.
that must be why my favourite instructor happened to be the one who usually brought only his car keys to class & had everything in his brain instead of in notes. he must have worked at least as hard to learn the stuff as he expected us to, probably a lot harder than many of the students. there was another guy who was similar but (understandably, now that I think back) had less patience for me. at least he really knew his stuff & had a sharp eye for mistakes. :tongue2: in contrast the instructors i had who, for example, went over the textbook for 1hr before class did nothing for me.

INTJs have a tremendous amount of ability to accomplish great things. They have insight into the Big Picture, and are driven to synthesize their concepts into solid plans of action. Their reasoning skills gives them the means to accomplish that. INTJs are most always highly competent people, and will not have a problem meeting their career or education goals. They have the capability to make great strides in these arenas. On a personal level, the INTJ who practices tolerances and puts effort into effectively communicating their insights to others has everything in his or her power to lead a rich and rewarding life.
i hope they're right lol :tongue2:

1. Be willing to back up your statements with facts - or at least some pretty sound reasoning.
2. Don't expect them to respect you or your viewpoints just because you say so. INTJ respect must be earned.
5. Do not feed them a line of bull.
also very true :rolleyes:
http://fuzzy.snakeden.org/intj/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
According to my profile, I should rule the world. I agree.

I'm an INTJ too, and I dropped out of math grad school without a finished accepted thesis. In addition to INTJ and IQ, you need "bottom", the ability to sit and work and think for l-o-o-o-ng periods of time. I think you also need outrageous daring; all the best mathematicians I can think of are over the top in one way or another.

Actually (if you buy these classifications in the first place), INTJs are less cut out to be mathematicians than INTPs (I'm a strong INTP) who are theoreticians and logicians. INTJs are more the experimental scientists, less cloistered in a theoretical make believe world of sorts. INTJs like real world results, which INTPs are disinterested in. http://www.personalitypage.com/INTP.html

when everyone on here took these tests before, i found out I'm the only feeler on pf...

at any rate, i was reading through my profiles, I'm either INFP or ENFP, depends on my mood how social i am. i think I'm actually an ENFP after reading the description on there because it even mentions my bouts of antisocialness. its funny cause INFPs are tend to be somewhat extroverted for the I's and ENFP's tend to be introverted for the E's... so i feel comfy being somewhere in between.

Anyway, i suddenly feel like maybe math isn't the right career for me. I always thought i was set to be a mathematician cause I'm idealistic and and not entirely realistic, but i still have a very strong logical side. but reading these makes me feel like i should figure out how to take superman lessons, or learn how to be the next ghandi. seems more what I'm suited for.

Gale said:
when everyone on here took these tests before, i found out I'm the only feeler on pf...

hmmm not quite... :wink: on my test it showed that I'm an extremely 'weak' thinker; only 1/30 of the questions showed that I'm a thinker, which put me right on the middle. that means i don't have a strong preference for thinking or feeling, or it might depend on the situation. out of curiosity i looked at the thing for infj some parts seemed "right" to me although pretty much all of the intj thing was exactly right.

INFJs have uncanny insight into people and situations. They get "feelings" about things and intuitively understand them... the INFJ themself does not really understand their intuition at a level which can be verbalized. Consequently, most INFJs are protective of their inner selves, sharing only what they choose to share when they choose to share it. They are deep, complex individuals, who are quite private and typically difficult to understand.
http://www.personalitypage.com/INFJ.html
somewhat like me but i think I'm definitely a intj most of the time.

What is a born mathematician?

A born mathematician is someone who possesses an innate talent and passion for mathematics. They have a natural inclination towards numbers, patterns, and problem-solving.

What does the Myers-Briggs result have to do with being a born mathematician?

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) is a personality test that assesses an individual's psychological preferences. Some research suggests that certain MBTI types, such as INTJ or INTP, are more likely to have aptitude in math and science fields.

Can anyone become a born mathematician?

While some people may have a natural affinity for mathematics, anyone can develop and improve their mathematical skills with practice and dedication. It is not solely determined by genetics or personality type.

What are some common traits of born mathematicians?

Born mathematicians often possess a strong analytical mind, a love for logical reasoning, and a fascination with patterns and puzzles. They are also persistent and enjoy challenging themselves with difficult problems.

Can a born mathematician be successful in other fields?

Yes, the skills and traits of a born mathematician, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail, can be beneficial in a wide range of professions, including finance, engineering, computer science, and data analysis.