Exploring the Meaning of k, k1, and k2 in Energy Gap Theory

In summary, the energy gap theory involves equations that use k1 and k2 to represent the wave vectors of particles in a crystal lattice, while k represents the total wave vector of the system. The energy calculated from k represents the total energy of the system, while the energy calculated from k1 only represents the energy of one particle. This is due to the different physical interpretations of k and k1.
jasum
Hi, I just get confused on the some definations in the energy gap theory.

in the equation
[tex]
\cos {k_1a} \cos{k_2b} - \frac{k_1^2 + k_2^2}{2k_1k_2} \sin {k_1a} \sin{k_2b} = \cos {kd}
[/tex]
where
[tex]
\frac {\hbar ^2 k_1^2}{2m} = E
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac {\hbar ^2 k_2^2}{2m} = E - V
[/tex]

however the eigenergies
[tex]
\frac {\hbar ^2 k^2}{2m} = E
[/tex]

Here I just get confused
what is the physical meaning of k1,k2 and k?
and what is the difference of the energy calculated from k and k_1?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I understand your confusion with the definitions and equations involved in the energy gap theory. Allow me to explain the physical meaning of k1, k2, and k in the context of this theory.

In this equation, k1 and k2 represent the wave vectors of two different particles in a crystal lattice. These wave vectors are related to the momentum of the particles and are used to describe their behavior in the crystal. k, on the other hand, represents the total wave vector of the system, which is the sum of k1 and k2.

The difference between the energies calculated from k and k1 lies in their physical interpretation. The energy calculated from k represents the total energy of the system, while the energy calculated from k1 only represents the energy of one of the particles in the system. This is because k1 and k2 represent the individual behaviors of each particle, while k represents the overall behavior of the system as a whole.

I hope this helps to clarify the definitions and their physical meanings in the energy gap theory. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask. it is my job to help others understand complex theories and concepts. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is the Energy Gap Theory?

The Energy Gap Theory is a scientific concept that explains the relationship between energy levels and behavior. It proposes that a person's behavior is influenced by their energy level, and that there is a gap between the energy level needed for a certain behavior and the energy level they currently have.

2. What is k in Energy Gap Theory?

In Energy Gap Theory, k refers to the amount of energy needed to perform a specific behavior. It is also known as the "threshold" or "critical" energy level. This value varies for different behaviors and individuals.

3. What is the difference between k1 and k2 in Energy Gap Theory?

K1 and k2 refer to two different types of energy gaps in Energy Gap Theory. K1 is the initial energy gap that needs to be overcome in order for a person to start a behavior, while k2 is the additional energy gap that must be overcome to maintain the behavior.

4. How do k, k1, and k2 affect behavior?

K, k1, and k2 all play important roles in determining a person's behavior. If the energy gap (k) is too large, a person may not have enough energy to perform the behavior. If k1 is too large, a person may not have enough energy to even start the behavior. And if k2 is too large, a person may not have enough energy to sustain the behavior.

5. Can k, k1, and k2 change over time?

Yes, k, k1, and k2 can all change over time. Factors such as physical health, mental state, and external influences can all affect a person's energy levels and therefore impact the energy gaps in Energy Gap Theory. Additionally, a person's own motivation and determination can also influence their energy levels and ability to overcome these gaps.