Gibb's free energy (very simple one)

In summary, to calculate the equilibrium constant for the reaction forming nitric oxide at room temperature, you can use the equation ln K = -G/RT. Using the values given for G, H, and S, and substituting the appropriate units for R and T, you can solve for ln K. However, it is important to double check your units and make sure they are consistent. If you are still having trouble getting the correct answer, consult a reliable source for the values of R in different units.
pari786

Homework Statement

Calculate the equilibrium constant for the reaction forming nitric oxide at room temperature, 25C. G= 1.73x10^5 J/mol, H = 180.5KJ/mol an S = 24.8J/(mol.K)

Homework Equations

ln K = -G/RT

The Attempt at a Solution

I subsiuted ln K = (-1.73x10^5) / (8.3145x298.15)
ln K = -69.78
e^-69.78
I'm getting K as 4.95*10^-31

but the computer (where I submit online assignment ) is saying its wrong ... I've only one single attempt left ..can anyone see where I'm wrong.
Thanks and immediate help please!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show some more work. In particular, how did you obtain the value for G? What units did you use for R and S? Example: H is in KJ/mol and S is in J/molK. When I mess up these calculations, it is usually related to units.

BTW, for a very useful compilation of R in various units, consult the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. In the 84th edition (2003-2004), a very complete table is printed on page 1-54.

Your attempt at solving this problem is correct. The equilibrium constant for this reaction at room temperature is indeed 4.95*10^-31. However, it is possible that the computer is expecting the answer in a different format or with a different number of significant figures. Make sure to double check the instructions and try rounding your answer to the appropriate number of significant figures. If you are still having trouble, it may be helpful to reach out to your instructor for clarification.

What is Gibb's free energy?

Gibb's free energy, also known as the Gibbs energy or free enthalpy, is a thermodynamic quantity used to measure the amount of energy available for a chemical reaction to occur at constant temperature and pressure.

How is Gibb's free energy calculated?

Gibb's free energy is calculated using the equation ΔG = ΔH - TΔS, where ΔG is the change in Gibb's free energy, ΔH is the change in enthalpy, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and ΔS is the change in entropy.

What does a negative value for Gibb's free energy indicate?

A negative value for Gibb's free energy indicates that the reaction is spontaneous and will proceed in the forward direction. This means that the products have a lower free energy than the reactants, resulting in a release of energy.

Can Gibb's free energy be used to predict the spontaneity of a reaction?

Yes, the sign of ΔG determines the spontaneity of a reaction. A negative value indicates a spontaneous reaction, while a positive value indicates a non-spontaneous reaction. However, the magnitude of ΔG also plays a role in determining the rate of the reaction.

How does temperature affect Gibb's free energy?

The temperature term in the Gibb's free energy equation (ΔG = ΔH - TΔS) shows that as temperature increases, the contribution of entropy to the free energy decreases. This means that at higher temperatures, reactions with a positive ΔS value are more likely to be spontaneous, while reactions with a negative ΔS value are less likely to be spontaneous.