Cos(arcsin(-1/3)) how to do it by hand?

• Thread starter HappMatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hand
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve cos(arcsin(-1/3)) without a calculator. One method involves using the SSS formula and Pythagorean formula, while another involves creating a right triangle in the IV quadrant and solving for the cosine value. It is also mentioned that arcsin(x) will return values in the interval [-pi/2, pi/2] and that the cosine value should be positive. The final solution is found to be 2sqrt(2)/3.
HappMatt
cos(arcsin(-1/3)) how to do it by hand??

Homework Statement

Solve without a calculator
cos(arcsin(-1/3))

The Attempt at a Solution

now i have fount the solution to be (-2/3)(2^(1/2)) now not only did my calculator come up with that but between the SSS formula and pythagorean formula( i think is what we cal it, a^2+b^2...) i was able to get the same answer but the question says not to use a calculator and using those formulas of course I am going to have to use a calculator to figure out some of the roots and what not.

I haven't had to do this stuff for quite sometime now I am a ways past precalc but i was trying to help a friend and I am not sure how to do this without a calculator or a root table and any other aids other than my mind. So being that this is precalc i would assume there is a easy way do do this beyond what I am trying if the teacher expects it to be done without a calc so if you know how please enlighten me.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's actually very simple once you know how to do it. Forget about cosine for a moment. Some angle (x) equals the arcsine of -1/3 -- so x=arcsin(-1/3). So you know that the sin(x)=-1/3. Now you can make a right triangle in the IV quadrant and solve for the cosine value, since you are simply solving for the cos(arcsin(-1/3)) or cos(x).

Last edited:
You can also try to work out the general formula for cos(arcsin(x)). Here we go.
Let [tex]\alpha = \arcsin(x) \Rightarrow \sin \alpha = x[/tex]
cos(arcsin(x)) will become: [tex]\cos \alpha[/tex]

Also, you should note that arcsin(x) will return the values in the interval [tex]\left[ - \frac{\pi}{2} ; \ \frac{\pi}{2}\right][/tex], i.e [tex]\alpha[/tex] is in I, and IV quadrant, and its cosine value should be positive. So we have:
[tex]\cos \alpha = \sqrt{1 - \sin ^ 2 \alpha} = \sqrt{1 - x ^ 2}[/tex]

Applying the formula to your question yielding:
[tex]\cos \left( \arcsin \left( - \frac{1}{3} \right) \right)) = \sqrt{1 - \left( -\frac{1}{3} \right) ^ 2} = \sqrt{1 - \frac{1}{9}} = \frac{2\sqrt{2}}{3}[/tex]. :)

You can do the same and find the general formula to:
sin(arccos(x))
Can you get it? :)

VietDao29 said:
You can also try to work out the general formula for cos(arcsin(x)). Here we go.
Let [tex]\alpha = \arcsin(x) \Rightarrow \sin \alpha = x[/tex]
cos(arcsin(x)) will become: [tex]\cos \alpha[/tex]

Also, you should note that arcsin(x) will return the values in the interval [tex]\left[ - \frac{\pi}{2} ; \ \frac{\pi}{2}\right][/tex], i.e [tex]\alpha[/tex] is in I, and IV quadrant, and its cosine value should be positive. So we have:
[tex]\cos \alpha = \sqrt{1 - \sin ^ 2 \alpha} = \sqrt{1 - x ^ 2}[/tex]

Applying the formula to your question yielding:
[tex]\cos \left( \arcsin \left( - \frac{1}{3} \right) \right)) = \sqrt{1 - \left( -\frac{1}{3} \right) ^ 2} = \sqrt{1 - \frac{1}{9}} = \frac{2\sqrt{2}}{3}[/tex]. :)

You can do the same and find the general formula to:
sin(arccos(x))
Can you get it? :)

thanks for both of you for the replies. I especially apreciate yours VietDao29, that way seems to be the best route in finding the aswer via no calculator because of its simplicity, i know with the triangle method although easy not so much without the calculator.

HappMatt said:
thanks for both of you for the replies. I especially apreciate yours VietDao29, that way seems to be the best route in finding the aswer via no calculator because of its simplicity, i know with the triangle method although easy not so much without the calculator.

Yeah I think his method is better too. :biggrin:

Last edited:

1. What is Cos(arcsin(-1/3))?

Cos(arcsin(-1/3)) is a mathematical expression that represents the cosine of the inverse sine of -1/3. The inverse sine function, also known as arcsine, is used to find the angle in a right triangle when given the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse.

2. Why would I need to calculate Cos(arcsin(-1/3)) by hand?

Calculating Cos(arcsin(-1/3)) by hand may be necessary in situations where a calculator or computer is not available. It can also help improve understanding and mastery of mathematical concepts.

3. What is the formula for Cos(arcsin(-1/3))?

The formula for Cos(arcsin(-1/3)) is cos(arcsin(x)) = √(1-x²), where x represents the input value -1/3. In this case, the formula would be cos(arcsin(-1/3)) = √(1-(-1/3)²) = √(1-1/9) = √(8/9).

4. How do I calculate Cos(arcsin(-1/3)) step by step?

To calculate Cos(arcsin(-1/3)) by hand, follow these steps:
1. Start by writing the formula cos(arcsin(x)) = √(1-x²).
2. Substitute -1/3 for x, giving cos(arcsin(-1/3)) = √(1-(-1/3)²).
3. Simplify the expression inside the square root, giving cos(arcsin(-1/3)) = √(1-1/9).
4. Simplify the square root, giving cos(arcsin(-1/3)) = √(8/9).
5. Simplify the fraction, giving cos(arcsin(-1/3)) = √(8)/√(9).
6. Simplify the square root of 9, giving cos(arcsin(-1/3)) = √(8)/3.
7. Use a calculator or long division to find the decimal approximation of √(8)/3, which is approximately 0.4714.
Therefore, Cos(arcsin(-1/3)) ≈ 0.4714.

5. Can I use a calculator to calculate Cos(arcsin(-1/3))?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a Cosine and Inverse Sine function that can be used to quickly calculate Cos(arcsin(-1/3)). However, it is important to understand the steps involved in the calculation in case a calculator is not available or for better understanding of the mathematical concept.