Off-set Coaxial Cable - Capacitance

In summary, the capacitance per unit length of a standard coaxial cable is given by C_{coax} = \frac{2 \pi \varepsilon_{0} \varepsilon_{r}}{\ln{\frac{b}{a}}}, where b is the radius of the cable and a is the radius of the central conductor. If only a quarter of the cable is considered, the capacitance would be \frac{1}{4}C_{coax}. However, in the case of an off-set central conductor, the capacitance cannot be simplified and will vary depending on the position of the conductors. To calculate the capacitance, a function relating the distance from a to b must be found and the
thedean515
Hi,

As you know the capacitance per unit length of a standard coaxial cable is

[tex]C_{coax} = \frac{2 \pi \varepsilon_{0} \varepsilon_{r}}{\ln{\frac{b}{a}}}[/tex]

where b is the radius of the cable and a is radius of the central conductor.

coax.png

If we only want to know the capacitance of a quarter of the cable, it is just [tex]\frac{1}{4}C_{coax}[/tex]

What if the cental conductor is off-set, how can we calculate the capacitance? Especiall I am interest to know the capacitance for only a quarter of the cable.

The off-set coax cable case is:
offset-coax.png

Physics news on Phys.org
part soultion

Hi,

Just to remind you the calculation for the coaxial cable case.

The electric field of an infinite line of charge is given

[tex]E = \frac{D}{\epsilon_0 \epsilon_r} = \hat{r} \frac{\rho_l}{2 \pi \epsilon_0 \epsilon_r r}[/tex]

in radial direction.

[tex]V = -\int_a^b Edl = \frac{Q}{2 \pi \epsilon_0 \epsilon_r}ln \frac{b}{a} [/tex]

Finally,

[tex]C = \frac{Q}{V} = \frac{2 \pi \epsilon_0 \epsilon_r}{ln \frac{b}{a}}[/tex]

Can anyone help me?

boy, that is difficult (for me anyway, I am probably at a similar level to you.)

As you said,

[tex]C = \frac{Q}{V}[/tex]

and, Q doesn't change depending on where you stick the inner conductor, right? I think this is right.

The trouble is really the voltage. The capacitance of a coax cable is the capacitance between the inner and outer conductors, right? The only reason you can say something as simple as, "this cable's capacitance is 6pF/meter.", is because the conductor is square in the middle.

Clearly, from the integral, Voltage (and therefore capacitance) changes as the conductors get further apart.

For this example, that means that the capacitance of the line will vary depending on how you're looking at it, do you know what I mean? You won't just be able to say, this is a 6pF line. If you draw the cable on a coordinate axis, the capacitance will vary in theta.

In short, find a function (of theta) that relates the distance from a to b. Integrate Edl from a to this function. the final answer will depend on theta.

I think.

Last edited:

What is off-set coaxial cable?

Off-set coaxial cable is a type of coaxial cable that has an off-center inner conductor. This design reduces the capacitance between the inner and outer conductors.

How does off-set coaxial cable differ from regular coaxial cable?

Off-set coaxial cable has an off-center inner conductor, while regular coaxial cable has a centered inner conductor. This difference in design results in a lower capacitance for off-set coaxial cable.

What is capacitance in relation to off-set coaxial cable?

Capacitance is the ability of a material to store electrical charge. In off-set coaxial cable, capacitance refers to the amount of electrical charge that can be stored between the inner and outer conductors.

What are the advantages of using off-set coaxial cable?

Off-set coaxial cable has a lower capacitance, which results in less signal loss and better performance at higher frequencies. It also has a smaller outer diameter, making it easier to install in tight spaces.

Are there any disadvantages to using off-set coaxial cable?

One potential disadvantage of using off-set coaxial cable is that it may be more expensive than regular coaxial cable. Additionally, the off-center design may cause some interference or signal distortion in certain applications.