How Can You Experimentally Determine the Maximum Range of a Projectile?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the maximum range without using the equation dx= v^2 sin2 feta/g, as the person needs to design an experiment to find the maximum horizontal range of a frictionless, spherical ball. They are not allowed to use a specific formula and must find the maximum range with independent and dependent variables while conducting the experiment on a football field. One suggestion is to launch the projectile at different angles and find the angle at which the range is maximum. Another suggestion is to use the equation tan(theta) = 4H/R to calculate the maximum range.
lplover1990
how do you determine the maximum range w/o using the equation dx= v^2 sin2 feta/g

because i need to design an experiment to figure out the maximum horizontal range of a frictionless, spherical ball

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not use that equation?

because we're not allowed to..

can you describe a little more about the experiment you need to design?

are you supposed to launch the projectile at different angles and find the angle at which the range is maximum?

is the launching speed constant?

a we were told was that were not allowed to use the special formula(he one i told you about before, and that we're to find the max range of it with an independant and dependat variabl(range)...that's all and it should be be taking place on a football field...i was thiking to do what you just said but how could i if i can't use that formula

lplover1990 said:
a we were told was that were not allowed to use the special formula(he one i told you about before, and that we're to find the max range of it with an independant and dependat variabl(range)...that's all and it should be be taking place on a football field...i was thiking to do what you just said but how could i if i can't use that formula

tan(theta) = 4H/R

R = 4H/tan(theta)

how about this equation?

What is the formula for calculating maximum range of a projectile?

The formula for calculating maximum range of a projectile is: R = (V2 * sin(2θ)) / g, where R is the maximum range, V is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What factors affect the maximum range of a projectile?

The maximum range of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as wind and altitude may also have an impact.

How does changing the launch angle affect the maximum range of a projectile?

Changing the launch angle can greatly affect the maximum range of a projectile. Generally, a lower launch angle will result in a shorter range, while a higher launch angle will result in a longer range. The optimal launch angle for maximum range is typically around 45 degrees.

What is the relationship between maximum range and initial velocity of a projectile?

The maximum range of a projectile is directly proportional to the square of the initial velocity. This means that doubling the initial velocity will result in four times the maximum range, while decreasing the initial velocity will result in a shorter maximum range.

Can a projectile have multiple maximum ranges?

No, a projectile can only have one maximum range. However, the maximum range may change depending on the conditions and factors involved, such as launch angle, initial velocity, and air resistance.