Charged Massless Waves in Maxwells Equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of propagating waves in charge/current using Maxwell's equations alone. The participants consider different scenarios and factors that could affect the propagation of these waves, including the velocity of light, conductivity, and the source of the electric field component. There is also a mention of using differential forms and Laplace-De Rham operators to better understand the problem. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to post the question in the Tensor Analysis & Differential Geometry section for further discussion.
Phrak
Hello. This is a first post for me.

Do Maxwell's equations alone allow for propagating waves in charge/current (\phi,s[/B]J)?

I was rather struck dumb by this question out of the blue. I've never seen it addressed, denyed or confirmed.

Schematically the electric and magnetic fields are first derivatives of the vector and electric potential, and can propagate as waves under first derivative constraints of the currents and charges.

Schematically the charge/current is a second derivative of the potentials. It seems it should have waving solutions under fourth derivative constrains of the potentials.

To make thing even better, there is no other velocity in maxwells equations other than c,
so should Maxwell's equations admit charged fields that propagate at the speed of light?

Physics news on Phys.org
there can be charge oscillations (waves). for example, plasma oscillations in a metal.

To make thing even better, there is no other velocity in maxwells equations other than c, so should Maxwell's equations admit charged fields that propagate at the speed of light?

All the charges we encounter are a property of matter, and I think all the charged particles we know have mass. This rules out actual charge propagating at light speed.
The electric field component of the EM wave doesn't have a source as such.

Another problem would be that a charge moving at light-speed would create an infinitely powerful magnetic field.

Phrak said:
Hello. This is a first post for me.

Do Maxwell's equations alone allow for propagating waves in charge/current (\phi,s[/B]J)?

I was rather struck dumb by this question out of the blue. I've never seen it addressed, denyed or confirmed.

Schematically the electric and magnetic fields are first derivatives of the vector and electric potential, and can propagate as waves under first derivative constraints of the currents and charges.

Schematically the charge/current is a second derivative of the potentials. It seems it should have waving solutions under fourth derivative constrains of the potentials.

To make thing even better, there is no other velocity in maxwells equations other than c,
so should Maxwell's equations admit charged fields that propagate at the speed of light?

I would say there is a flaw in your reasoning; it seems to me that you are referring to the wave-equation for electromagnetic waves in vacum, which does not accurately descripe an EM-wave in pressence of any charge or dielectric.

I think you will be able to compare the problem to that of an EM-wave in a conducter. Such wave propagetes with exponentially decreasing amplitude, because free carge tends to cancel off the electric field as it goes. This effect is dependent on the conductivity of the material. Now, since a gass of charge has infinite conductivity, an EM wave in such gas would in theory be extinguished instantaneous.

So I'd say the answer is no.

Mentz114 said:
The electric field component of the EM wave doesn't have a source as such.

Yes it does. An antenna is an obvious example.

Troels said:
I think you will be able to compare the problem to that of an EM-wave in a conducter. Such wave propagetes with exponentially decreasing amplitude, because free carge tends to cancel off the electric field as it goes. This effect is dependent on the conductivity of the material. Now, since a gass of charge has infinite conductivity, an EM wave in such gas would in theory be extinguished instantaneous.

First I agree the the OP has possibly missed the point that EM waves do not have to travel at c.

However, it's not as simple as you have implied. Firstly a plasma does not actually have infinite conductivity, so the EM wave is not fully extinguished: it does decay but it effectively tunnels to the other side.

Secondly (non-local) plasmons are longitudinal waves, meaning the charge oscillates in the direction of travel. The particles themselves do not have to travel at the speed of light (even for a transverse wave). Dispersion relations of plasmons show that in fact they can have very interesting properties, and can propagate at c.

mda said:
Yes it does. An antenna is an obvious example.

After the current in the antenna has stopped, the waves are still propagating. They now have no source.

Thank you all for your generous responses.

I'm afraid I stated the problem poorly, however. I mean to say: Ignoring all the rest of physics, and utilizing only Maxwell's formalism, are propagating waves of 4-currents existent in the formalism? Homogenious, nontrivial solutions to be more precise.

This would be so much easier to state in the language of differential forms, and maybe Laplace-De Rham operators and stuff. But the math can get pretty exotic. Is the Classical Physics category the right place to post this sort of question?

Phrak said:
Thank you all for your generous responses.

I'm afraid I stated the problem poorly, however. I mean to say: Ignoring all the rest of physics, and utilizing only Maxwell's formalism, are propagating waves of 4-currents existent in the formalism?
Homogenious, nontrivial solutions to be more precise.

look. it's not so clear what ur asking. the currents are typically given, and the fields solved for. what are you asking for?

This would be so much easier to state in the language of differential forms, and maybe Laplace-De Rham operators and stuff.

then do it.

But the math can get pretty exotic. Is the Classical Physics category the right place to post this sort of question?

yes. and you could post in the math forums too, i suppose.

I shall try again in the Tensor Analysis & Differential Geometry section with better presentation.

okay

1. What are charged massless waves in Maxwell's Equations?

Charged massless waves refer to electromagnetic waves that are created when an electrically charged particle is accelerated. These waves can travel through space and are governed by Maxwell's Equations, which are a set of four equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

2. How do charged massless waves relate to light?

Light is a type of electromagnetic wave, so it is one example of a charged massless wave. However, there are many other types of electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves, microwaves, and X-rays, that are also examples of charged massless waves.

3. What is the role of charged massless waves in modern physics?

Charged massless waves play a crucial role in modern physics as they are the basis for our understanding of electromagnetism. They also have numerous practical applications, such as in communication technology, medical imaging, and energy production.

4. How do charged massless waves behave differently from other types of waves?

Unlike mechanical waves, such as sound waves, charged massless waves do not require a medium to travel through. They can travel through a vacuum at the speed of light. Additionally, they have both electric and magnetic components that are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of wave propagation.

5. What are some ongoing research areas related to charged massless waves?

Scientists are currently studying how to manipulate and control charged massless waves for various applications, such as creating faster and more efficient communication technologies. They are also exploring the properties of these waves in extreme conditions, such as in the presence of strong magnetic fields or in the quantum realm.