Design LC Circuit: Find Capacitor for 2 kHz, 2 mH

In summary, the problem is to design a series-tuned LC circuit with a resonant frequency of 2 kHz and a 2 mH inductor. The equation for the resonant frequency of an LC circuit is f = 1 / (2π√LC). We can use this equation to determine the value of the capacitor needed for the circuit.
Lhawx

Homework Statement

I need to design a series-tuned LC circuit with a resonant frequency of 2 kHz and and a 2 mH inductor. I need to know what size capacitor I would need?

Homework Equations

2 kHz * 1000 = 2000 Hertz
2 mH / 1000 = 0.002 Henry

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
what's the equation for the resonant frequency of an LC circuit?
you take it from there.

help

w=2.pi.f = 1/ (L.C)^(1/2)...f=resonance frequency

partymann said:
w=2.pi.f = 1/ (L.C)^(1/2)...f=resonance frequency
Welcome to the PF forums! I hope you will find our threads useful and informative.

It's great that you know information on a homework problem. However the format in homework discussions is to encourage the OP (original person asking for help), and allow them to research and do as much of their own work as possible, then you can guide them (as a teacher would) in a successful direction. mda is trying to assist the OP by asking a question. You're answering that question does not help Lhawx learn what to do.

When you have a homework question, that 's the time you can state the information you know about the problem.

1. How do I design an LC circuit to find the capacitor for 2 kHz and 2 mH?

To design an LC circuit, you will need to use the formula f = 1/2π√(LC), where f is the frequency in Hertz, L is the inductance in Henrys, and C is the capacitance in Farads. In this case, you will plug in the values of 2 kHz for f and 2 mH for L, and solve for C. This will give you the value of the capacitor needed for your circuit.

2. What is the frequency range for a 2 mH inductor?

The frequency range for a 2 mH inductor can vary, but generally it is suitable for frequencies ranging from a few hundred Hz to several hundred kHz.

3. Can I use any type of capacitor for this LC circuit?

Yes, you can use any type of capacitor as long as it has the correct capacitance value. However, for higher frequencies, it is recommended to use ceramic or film capacitors for their low inductance and high frequency capabilities.

4. How does the value of the inductor affect the circuit?

The value of the inductor affects the resonant frequency of the circuit. A larger inductance will result in a lower resonant frequency, while a smaller inductance will result in a higher resonant frequency.

5. Is it necessary to consider the resistance in the circuit when designing an LC circuit?

Yes, it is important to consider the resistance in the circuit as it can affect the overall performance and stability of the circuit. This can be done by including a resistance term in the formula for calculating the resonant frequency (f = 1/2π√(LC+R)).