Generating power through displacement.

In summary, the idea of using displacement and pressure differences to create renewable energy is not feasible, due to the law of conservation of energy.
Mulith
Hi there.

I've been looking at whether it's possible to create renewable energy though the use of diplacement and taking advantage of pressure differences. Let me explain.

Lets say you had a cylinder 100m x 50m. At the bottom of this cylinder you had multiple inlet pipes. The cylinder is then dragged down into the water using a weight of some kind so as to displace the water. The pressure at that depth, if I'm not mistaken would be 145.304 psi. The water is then allowed to pass through the inlet pipes to drive a turbine which then pumps the water out and over the edge of the cylinder. What I want to know is whether the energy created is likely to be greater than the energy required to remove the water from the cylinder?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you may already know the answer to the question: The law of conservation of energy applies.

Mulith said:
What I want to know is whether the energy created is likely to be greater than the energy required to remove the water from the cylinder?

No it definitely won't be greater. At the very best, it would be the same if the machine had an efficiency of unity.

CS

Energy Can Neither Be Created Nor Destroyed; Can Just Be Transferred From One Form To Another.
This Idea Is An Illusion Like Perpetual Motion Machines.

i remember when i used to get out of the box ideas in school and i thought i was a genious ;))

Mulith said:
What I want to know is whether the energy created is likely to be greater than the energy required to remove the water from the cylinder?

No. In theory and an idealistic situation, it will be exactly equal. In practice, it will always be less.. less by around 20-30%.

It's much, much less than that. You might get a turbine efficiency of 65%, then a generator efficiency of 95%, then a motor efficiency of 95%, then a pump efficiency of 65%. That's an overall efficiency of 38%.

russ_watters said:
It's much, much less than that. You might get a turbine efficiency of 65%, then a generator efficiency of 95%, then a motor efficiency of 95%, then a pump efficiency of 65%. That's an overall efficiency of 38%.

oops.. i stated it wrong.. What i was meaning to say is, "Output energy is 20-30% of input work".

What is displacement?

Displacement is a measure of the change in position of an object. In the context of generating power, displacement refers to the movement of an object or substance that is harnessed to generate energy.

How is power generated through displacement?

Power can be generated through displacement by utilizing the movement of air, water, or other substances to turn a turbine, which in turn drives a generator to produce electricity.

What are some examples of displacement-based power generation?

Examples include hydroelectric power, where the movement of water through a dam turns turbines, and wind power, where the movement of air turns wind turbines. Other examples include tidal power, wave power, and geothermal power.

What are the advantages of generating power through displacement?

Generating power through displacement is a renewable and sustainable method of energy production that does not rely on fossil fuels. It also has a relatively low environmental impact compared to other forms of energy production.

What are the limitations of generating power through displacement?

One limitation is that displacement-based power generation is dependent on natural resources such as wind, water, and tides, which may not always be consistent or reliable. Additionally, the initial cost of building infrastructure for displacement-based power generation can be high.