Help with accelration due to gravity experiment

In summary, the experimenter is measuring the g-force of a person free-falling and calculating the uncertainty in the measurements. The biggest question is the assumed value of g for the experiment, and the uncertainty in the time measurements.
keil
Hey, I'm doing a science project thing, and I'm measuring g. One method was freefall, I got times of

For distances of 0.1m intervals, starting at 1.5m, and ending at 2.4m However, uncertainties are confusing me, reaction time I'm taking as 0.5s, so there's uncertainty of between 94% and 71%, depending of course on the time, anyhoo, to calculate g you use 2s/t squared, so you double uncertainty, and combine them, and it's really confusing, so can anyone help?

(i'm aware this post sort of lacks clarity, so if you need me to explain anyu bit again please ask)

oh, and I need to find overall uncertainty in g, sorry, forgot that bit

Thanks in advance for help. I swear I have tried my best, and the rest of the project is done, it's just the uncertainty in this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Determining the uncertainty of the time measurements is the trickiest part, for sure, assuming you used the human operated stop-watch method. I doubt, though, that it is 0.5s. Just look at your data. They are reasonably consistent with what you would expect, in a relative sense, at least to a certainty of 0.1 s, don't you think? Is there any way you can get more sophisticated equipment? Human reaction time is just asking for trouble at this timescale. Oh, one more thing, reaction time won't give you a σ style uncertainty, as it would actually introduce a systematic error and give you more of a μ style uncertainty.

The biggest question is:
Are you experimentally demonstrating a known value of g, or are you trying to start from scratch with the assumption that there is an acceleration, but you should have no idea what value it is? The former would allow you a legitimate easy method to determine the uncertainty in the time measurements. The latter would require more sophisticated analysis (which I can't think of off the top of my head and would have to look up).

If you're using a stopwatch, then maybe a slightly better way of determining the acceleration of gravity would be to analyse a simple pendulum.
Maybe conduct 5 trials where you measure the time it takes to complete 10 periods.
Still many uncertainties associated with this technique (using stopwatch), but it's another method I guess.
But in calculating the uncertainties it's probably easiest to do partial derivatives.
Never done a free fall experiment, but using your equation I will give an example (assuming you weren't using partial derivative method).
g=2s/t^2
I will use D to be the absolute uncertainty and d is partial derivative sign.
Dg= (dg/ds)Ds + (dg/dt)Dt
anyway with partial derivatives you just keep one of the variables constant while differentiating with regards to the other. (say Ds=0.01m and Dt=0.1s)
So the equation becomes:
Dg=(2/t^2)(0.01) + (4s/t^3)(0.1)
By the way you take the absolute values of the partial derivatives so that is why 4s/t^3 is positive.
I'm not sure if this has helped at all, and I'm sorry if it hasn't.

1. What is the purpose of an acceleration due to gravity experiment?

The purpose of an acceleration due to gravity experiment is to determine the acceleration rate of an object due to the force of gravity. This can help to better understand the laws of motion and gravity, and can also be used to make predictions about the motion of objects in different environments.

2. What materials are needed for an acceleration due to gravity experiment?

Materials needed for an acceleration due to gravity experiment may include a stopwatch or timer, a ruler or measuring tape, a pendulum or falling object, and a stable surface to conduct the experiment on. Optional materials may include a calculator and different weights or objects to test acceleration rates.

3. How do you set up and conduct an acceleration due to gravity experiment?

To set up an acceleration due to gravity experiment, you will need to first create a stable and consistent environment to conduct the experiment in. Next, you will need to measure the height and length of the object you are using for the experiment. Place the object at the top of the measured height and start the timer as it falls. Stop the timer once the object hits the ground. Repeat this process multiple times and record the results to calculate the average acceleration rate.

4. What factors can affect the results of an acceleration due to gravity experiment?

There are several factors that can affect the results of an acceleration due to gravity experiment. These may include the accuracy of the equipment used, air resistance, and external forces such as wind or friction. It is important to control these factors as much as possible to ensure accurate and consistent results.

5. What are some possible sources of error in an acceleration due to gravity experiment?

Possible sources of error in an acceleration due to gravity experiment may include human error in timing or measuring, equipment malfunctions, and environmental factors such as temperature or humidity. To minimize errors, it is important to conduct the experiment multiple times and take the average of the results, as well as carefully controlling the experimental setup and conditions.