Unleashing the Power of Mathematica and GPU: Speed Up 3D Graph Visualization

In summary, In order to make your GPU render the graphs, you need to use Nvidias CUDA software library. You can also try changing the equation to a polynomial equation of high order, but that may not be as fast.
faitswulff
I was playing around with Mathematica and I discovered this via the help:

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/6534/cosxsinypcosysinzpcoszsvc7.jpg

...which is basically the most bad-ass 3D graph I've ever seen, much less had generated on my computer! Yes, I'm only in Calc II for now, but now I can't WAIT to get to Calc III and learn how to visualize pretty 3D graphs!

Anyway, my question is this - right now, I believe my CPU is rendering these graphs, but I want my GPU to render it. I think it might be a lot faster, and allow me to tinker more. Does anyone have any idea on how to do that?

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you'd be interested in Nvidias CUDA...

The 8-Series (G8X) GeForce-based GPU from Nvidia is the first series of GPU to support the CUDA SDK. The 8-Series (G8X) GPUs features hardware support for 32-bit (single precision) floating point vector processors, using the CUDA SDK as API. (CUDA supports the C "double" data type, however on G8X series GPUs these types will get demoted to 32-bit floats.). Due to the highly parallel nature of vector processors, GPU assisted hardware stream processing can have a huge impact in specific data processing applications. It is anticipated in the computer gaming industry that graphics cards may be used in future game physics calculations (physical effects like debris, smoke, fire, fluids). CUDA has also been used to accelerate non-graphical applications in computational biology and other fields by an order of magnitude or more
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home.html
http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_get.html

I think wants:

EDIT >> Preferences
Advanced Tab
Open Option Inspector Button
Click the "+" sign next to graphics options
"Rendering Options"

and change the graphics 3d rendering engine to "hardware"

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately it didn't make it any faster, although "software" makes it extremely slow. Maybe I'm making a few vital assumptions about either my machine or how Mathematica renders that are wrong.

It's hard to do an accurate implicit plot of that transcendental equation!

Try changing it to a polynomial equation of high order and you'll find it to be much faster.

Also, I think it IS hardware rendered, but your GPU can't calculate the solutions.

Crosson, how do I do that? Or where could I go to find out how to? Can Mathematica do it for me?

Mr. Healey, I believe this is the case as well. However, I think I would probably need something like nVidia's CUDA in order to get it to work, like Elliot said. I don't think Mathematica supports DirectX or OpenGL...

1. What is Mathematica and how is it used?

Mathematica is a software program used for mathematical and scientific computations, data analysis, and visualization. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance to solve complex equations and perform simulations. It also has a user-friendly interface, making it accessible for users of all levels.

2. How does GPU acceleration improve 3D graph visualization in Mathematica?

GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) acceleration utilizes the power of a computer's graphics card to perform calculations and render graphics faster. In Mathematica, this means that 3D graphs and visualizations can be generated and manipulated much quicker, resulting in a smoother and more interactive experience for the user.

3. What are the advantages of using Mathematica and GPU for 3D graph visualization?

The combination of Mathematica and GPU acceleration allows for faster and more efficient 3D graph visualization. This can save time and resources when working with large datasets or complex equations. Additionally, the high-quality graphics produced by Mathematica make it ideal for presentations and publications.

4. Can any computer handle the use of Mathematica and GPU for 3D graph visualization?

While the use of Mathematica and GPU acceleration can greatly improve 3D graph visualization, it is important to have a computer with a compatible graphics card and enough processing power to handle the calculations. The system requirements for Mathematica can be found on their website.

5. How can I learn more about using Mathematica and GPU for 3D graph visualization?

There are many online resources available for learning about Mathematica and GPU acceleration, including tutorials, forums, and official documentation. Additionally, attending workshops or courses on the subject can provide a more in-depth understanding of the software and its capabilities.