Constant power? Instant Power?

In summary, the block is pulled across a horizontal surface by a 12 N force, resulting in a net force of 2.2 N in the horizontal direction. With a coefficient of friction of 0.20, the block has an acceleration of 0.44 m/s^2. At t=5 s, the power of the 12 N force is 26.4 watts.
CaptainADHD

Homework Statement

Starting from rest at t = 0, a 5.0-kg block is pulled across a horizontal surface by a constant horizontal force having a magnitude of 12 N. If the coefficient of friction between the block and the surface is 0.20, at what rate is the 12-N force doing work at t = 5.0 s?

Homework Equations

Force = mass x acceleration
Friction force = coeff of friction x normal force
Work = mass x acceleration x distance
Power = mass x acceleration x distance / time ... ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Force in the horizontal direction should be applied force minus friction force right? So:

12.0 Newtons - (0.20 x 5.0 kg x 9.8) Newtons = 2.20 Newtons
acceleration in x direction = 2.2 Newtons / 5 kg = .44 meters per second squared
final velocity = acceleration x time = .44 x 5 = 2.2 m/s
power = force x speed = 2.2 Newtons x 2.2 meters per second = 4.84 ?
or... mass x acceleration x distance = work per second? That would be:
5 kg x .44 m/s^2 x 5.5 m / 1 s = 12.1 watts ?

0.13 kW
0.14 kW
0.12 kW
26 W
12 W

What I don't understand is what "power at time x" means. Wouldn't that be instantaneous power? I thought power was total work over a time interval. I'm confused as hell ><

Physics news on Phys.org
CaptainADHD said:

Homework Statement

Starting from rest at t = 0, a 5.0-kg block is pulled across a horizontal surface by a constant horizontal force having a magnitude of 12 N. If the coefficient of friction between the block and the surface is 0.20, at what rate is the 12-N force doing work at t = 5.0 s?

Homework Equations

Force = mass x acceleration
Friction force = coeff of friction x normal force
Work = mass x acceleration x distance
Power = mass x acceleration x distance / time ... ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Force in the horizontal direction should be applied force minus friction force right? So:

12.0 Newtons - (0.20 x 5.0 kg x 9.8) Newtons = 2.20 Newtons
acceleration in x direction = 2.2 Newtons / 5 kg = .44 meters per second squared
final velocity = acceleration x time = .44 x 5 = 2.2 m/s
power = force x speed = 2.2 Newtons x 2.2 meters per second = 4.84 ?
or... mass x acceleration x distance = work per second? That would be:
5 kg x .44 m/s^2 x 5.5 m / 1 s = 12.1 watts ?

0.13 kW
0.14 kW
0.12 kW
26 W
12 W

What I don't understand is what "power at time x" means. Wouldn't that be instantaneous power? I thought power was total work over a time interval. I'm confused as hell ><

Work is F * D and Power is W / time.

Rewriting then Power = F * D/time

If you want instantaneous power then choose a ΔD and divide by the corresponding Δt.

Power = F * Δd/Δt ... hmmm... anything look familiar?

LowlyPion said:
Work is F * D and Power is W / time.

Rewriting then Power = F * D/time

If you want instantaneous power then choose a ΔD and divide by the corresponding Δt.

Power = F * Δd/Δt ... hmmm... anything look familiar?

So for that specific instant in time, the power is force in that direction multiplied by speed at that point?

Ok THIS IS DRIVING ME INSANE ALSDKJFA;LSDKJFA;LSKDJF

Here is what I keep getting every time I work this. EVERY... TIME...

The force in that direction of motion is 2.2 Newtons ---- 12 N - (.2x5x9.8) = 2.2 Newtons

The acceleration --- 2.2 N = (5 kg) x (a) ... so a = 0.44 meters per second squared.

Since force is constant, acceleration is constant. Starting from rest:

velocity at 5 seconds is (0.44 m/s^2)(5) = 2.2 meters per second. HEY LOOK AT THAT! THE SPEED IS THE SAME AS THE FORCE. HUR HUR. WTFFFF?

So if power is the rate of work, and somehow instantaneous work is force times velocity at a point, then ------- 2.2 Newtons TIMES velocity at t=5 (ALSO 2.2 HURHUR WTF) = 4.4 watts.

But guess what? 4.4 watts isn't one of the choices. AWESOME. COOL QUESTION.a s;ldkfja;slkdjfal;skdjfldblackblackff

H E L P

OK. You figured a = .44

P = F * D / T

You know Force is 2.2 N

Your Distance is D = 1/2 * a * T2 = 1/2 * .44 * 52

P = 2.2 * .22 * 52 / 5 = 2.2 * .22 * 5 = 2.42 N-m/s

LowlyPion said:
OK. You figured a = .44

P = F * D / T

You know Force is 2.2 N

Your Distance is D = 1/2 * a * T2 = 1/2 * .44 * 52

P = 2.2 * .22 * 52 / 5 = 2.2 * .22 * 5 = 2.42 N-m/s

Thank you for the help, and for putting up with my frustration, but 2.42 Newton meters per second aka watts is not one of the listed solutions.

Could it be that I should use the 12 Newtons of applied force x 2.2 m/s : 26.4 watts? That's one of the solutions given.

I think this question is so disgustingly hard for the simple fact that the speed also just happens to be equal to the net force on the object.

Could 26.4 watts be a possible solution?

CaptainADHD said:
Thank you for the help, and for putting up with my frustration, but 2.42 Newton meters per second aka watts is not one of the listed solutions.

Could it be that I should use the 12 Newtons of applied force x 2.2 m/s : 26.4 watts? That's one of the solutions given.

I think this question is so disgustingly hard for the simple fact that the speed also just happens to be equal to the net force on the object.

Could 26.4 watts be a possible solution?

I misread. The work from the 12 N force over the distance is what you want.

That would be 12 * 1/2*a*t2/t = 12*1/2*.44*5 = 13.2 N-m/s

LowlyPion said:
I misread. The work from the 12 N force over the distance is what you want.

That would be 12 * 1/2*a*t2/t = 12*1/2*.44*5 = 13.2 N-m/s

Not sure, but isn't 13.2 Newton meters per second = 13.2 watts?

If so, the solution set for the question still doesn't provide a match: closest is .13 kW, which would be 130 watts.

They ask what rate the 12 Newton force is doing work at time = 5. I've look around the web and found a few sources that say power at a moment in time is the force times the change in distance over change in time (aka speed).

Given the acceleration is .44 meters per second squared, and that initial velocity is zero, speed at time = 5 should be 2.2 meters per second.

So if power at an instant is force times speed, answer would be 26.4 watts, no?

Alright my instructor gave me the answer on this one (for anyone who arrives here via google):

You have to
1. Calculate net force as the difference between F and (Uk)mg = 2.2 Newtons.
2. Use that to find acceleration using F=ma
3. Use the acceleration to find the speed at time = 5 seconds.
4. Multiply that speed with the 12 Newton force to get instantaneous power at time = 5 seconds. ->26.4 watts

This question sucked because the force of kinetic friction just happened to be the exact same number as acceleration due to gravity (9.8) AND the net force was equal to the velocity at time = 5 seconds.

1. What is the difference between constant power and instant power?

Constant power refers to a steady and consistent flow of energy over time, while instant power refers to the amount of power at a specific moment in time. In other words, constant power is sustained over a period of time, while instant power is a snapshot of power output at a particular instant.

2. How are constant power and instant power measured?

Constant power is typically measured in watts (W), which is the rate of energy transfer over time. Instant power can also be measured in watts, or in other units such as horsepower (hp) or kilowatts (kW).

3. What are some examples of constant power and instant power in everyday life?

Examples of constant power include the energy output of a solar panel, the continuous flow of electricity through a power grid, or the sustained power output of a car engine while driving at a steady speed. Instant power can be seen in activities such as starting a car, turning on a light switch, or using a hair dryer.

4. How does constant power affect energy consumption?

Constant power can have an impact on energy consumption, as it determines the rate at which energy is used. For example, a device that requires constant power to function will consume more energy over time compared to a device that only needs instant power for brief periods.

5. Can a device have both constant power and instant power capabilities?

Yes, it is possible for a device to have both constant power and instant power capabilities. For instance, a car engine can provide constant power to keep the car running, but also have the ability to produce instant power for acceleration or other functions. Similarly, a battery can provide constant power to a device while also having the ability to deliver instant power for short bursts.