Balancing Chemical Equation

• Thread starter jessica.so
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, the task is to find the products and balance the equation for the reaction between Copper (II) Chloride dihydrate and solid aluminum. After balancing the equation, the correct coefficient for H2O at the end should be 6. Some clarification was provided on the notation for CuCl2.2H2O.
jessica.so

Homework Statement

Copper (II) Chloride dihydrate is mixed with solid aluminum. Find the products and balance the equation.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The original equation that I got was:
CuCl2 ∙ 2H2O + Al --> AlCl3 + Cu + H2O
When I balanced it, I got:
3 CuCl2 ∙ 2H2O + 2 Al --> 2 AlCl3 + 3 Cu + 2 H2O
but I'm unsure about that. I am just wondering if the H2O at the end of the equation should have a coefficient of 6 because 3 [CuCl2 ∙ 2 H2O] were needed. So then the equation would be:
3 CuCl2 ∙ 2H2O + 2 Al --> 2 AlCl3 + 3 Cu + 6 H2O instead?
I do not know which one is correct. Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Should be 6.

Note that CuCl2.2H2O is equivalent to CuCl2(H2O)2 or even CuCl2H4O2.

Ohh OKAY! Thanks so much!

What is a chemical equation?

A chemical equation is a symbolic representation of a chemical reaction, which shows the starting substances (reactants) and the resulting substances (products) as well as the relative amounts of each.

Why is balancing a chemical equation important?

Balancing a chemical equation is important because it ensures that the law of conservation of mass is followed. This law states that matter cannot be created or destroyed, only rearranged. Therefore, the number of atoms of each element must be the same on both sides of the equation.

How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to adjust the coefficients (numbers in front of each substance) so that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. You can do this by using the principle of conservation of mass and applying the correct balancing techniques, such as changing coefficients or adding subscripts.

What are the steps to balancing a chemical equation?

The steps to balancing a chemical equation are as follows:

1. Write the unbalanced equation, with the reactants on the left and the products on the right.
  2. Count the number of atoms of each element on both sides of the equation.
  3. Identify the element that appears in the most unbalanced state.
  4. Choose a coefficient for that element on the product side to make the number of atoms equal on both sides.
  5. Repeat this process for the remaining elements until all the atoms are balanced.
  6. Check that all the atoms are balanced and adjust coefficients if necessary.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when balancing a chemical equation?

Common mistakes to avoid when balancing a chemical equation include:

• Forgetting to check that all atoms are balanced.
  • Changing subscripts instead of coefficients.
  • Not reducing coefficients to their simplest ratio.
  • Forgetting to include coefficients for substances that have a coefficient of 1.