Why Do Bearded Men Choose Synthesizers Over Shaving?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of shaving and facial hair. Many people in the conversation have the luxury of not having to shave every day, either due to their genes or personal preference. Some people have beards but still shave to keep them tidy. Others are participating in No Shave November. Some members of the conversation have Native American blood, which affects their facial hair growth. There is also discussion about the aesthetics and practicality of having facial hair.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I think it is luxury to not have to shave, and what a waste of time ,10 mins spent every day
in front of a mirror grinding your face because you forgot to buy new razors.

How many of you sport a beard?

Physics news on Phys.org
my genes provide me the luxury to not have to shave every day... maybe once a week...

I knock 'em in with a hammer and bite 'em off on the inside.

I have a beard, but I still shave (electric) most days to stop it spreading too far, and frequently have to trim it to keep it tidy.

It's no shave November right now, so I'm not shaving. My friends who don't have to shave for work are also not shaving for this month.

Mustache and goatee - don't have the genes to grow a full beard due to too much Native American blood.

I stopped shaving again a few weeks back because I couldn't be bothered.

noumed said:
my genes provide me the luxury to not have to shave every day... maybe once a week...

Wow, that is great for you.

I just have Tsu braid my back and toe hair. Much easier than shaving.

Evo said:
I just have Tsu braid my back and toe hair. Much easier than shaving.

I only have a hairy chest and arms, as yet no hair on legs, back or toes, i think i would worry if hair started growing on my toes.

My hairline receded nearly out of sight in my 20s, but I grew a huge beard to make up for it. People seemed to think it was very funny to ask whether my head was on the right way up.

wolram said:
I only have a hairy chest and arms, as yet no hair on legs, back or toes, i think i would worry if hair started growing on my toes.

I've got hairy everything including toes. I also sport a beard but I keep it short. So I shave maybe every three days or so with an electric since I'm not trying to impress anyone. Besides, if you make your self look to groomed, people aren't going to believe that your a grad student.

turbo-1 said:
Mustache and goatee - don't have the genes to grow a full beard due to too much Native American blood.

Ever the artistic type.:smile:

Before Dr. House, before Miami Vice even, I have sported the "unshaven" look. Whenever someone askes "are you growing a beard?" then I know it's time to shave. It's about once a week. I wish I could keep the perpetual 3 day growth, but when you "trim" with the electric razor, it doesn't look or feel right. After 6 days it's itchy.

I'm with you, Wolram, some ten minutes after shaving my cheek is coarse again. But I bravely continue the battle for various reasons, including:

1: wearing gas masks and beards don't interact very well.

2: an aesthetical disaster

3: daughters (and Evo) hate beards.

Last edited:
Mustache & goatee...wife says I'm trying to be stylish and acting younger than my 43 years...

Me, I'm just lazy and have threatened to grow my entire beard out, problem is that it is what I already grew out is 4 colors and am afraid of the rest...(none of them match the color of my hair on top of my head).

Dr Transport said:
Mustache & goatee...wife says I'm trying to be stylish and acting younger than my 43 years...

Me, I'm just lazy and have threatened to grow my entire beard out, problem is that it is what I already grew out is 4 colors and am afraid of the rest...(none of them match the color of my hair on top of my head).

I bet you look like a calico.

turbo-1 said:

i seem to have this curse as well, and wasn't even all that native, i didn't think.

My face fuzz comes in half brown and half blonde so it looks like I have really sparse growth but its just patches of blonde.

Proton Soup said:
i seem to have this curse as well, and wasn't even all that native, i didn't think.
My father has the same facial hair-pattern that I do. He is Irish on his father's side and German and native on his mother's side. Then I got a double-dose of native-American genes from my mother's French-Canadian family. The French intermarried heavily with the native tribes when they came here to trap, trade, and farm. For many French immigrants, they could barely afford their own passage, and if they wanted companionship and families, they intermarried.

I have a beard, but have to shave to keep it shaped. I also keep it trimmed short.

turbo-1 said:
My father has the same facial hair-pattern that I do. He is Irish on his father's side and German and native on his mother's side. Then I got a double-dose of native-American genes from my mother's French-Canadian family. The French intermarried heavily with the native tribes when they came here to trap, trade, and farm. For many French immigrants, they could barely afford their own passage, and if they wanted companionship and families, they intermarried.

hmm, i do have a french paternal path, and the native blood i know about is on my mother's side. so i may have a double dose.

Andre said:
I'm with you, Wolram, some ten minutes after shaving my cheek is coarse again. But I bravely continue the battle for various reasons, including:

I really do not (like) them either, it is just nice to have a holliday from shaving.

It is about time some one invented a way to rid us of hairy faces for ever.

Andre said:

Yep, I hate beards and mustaches. Can't help it. Some men do look good with a neatly trimmed beard, but I will never kiss a man with a hairy face. Tried it, got a bad skin burn (I have ultra sensitive skin). My man has to be clean shaven. :redface:

I refuse to snog anyone with braided back and toe hair.:smile:

I don't have to shave my face... being female and all, but I quit shaving long ago. You think you have it bad, trying shaving your arm pits and legs all the time. Its awful. The act of shaving isn't so bad, but the growing back in is unpleasant. My bf was put off at first but he's over it now. I get funny looks at the public pool, but I am comfy.
My upper lip grows these horrid thick black hairs, I wax them occasionally but other than that I am all natural

wolram said:
I think it is luxury to not have to shave, and what a waste of time ,10 mins spent every day
in front of a mirror grinding your face because you forgot to buy new razors.

How many of you sport a beard?

How fast does your facial hair grow? :bugeye:

beard071.jpg

I don't much like to shave. It is time to get the weedwacker out though.

Integral said:
beard071.jpg

I don't much like to shave. It is time to get the weedwacker out though.

Nooo, we have a potential father Christmas if you let it grow.

LightbulbSun said:
How fast does your facial hair grow? :bugeye:

That would be normal for most male type people would it not guys? though i think a better non clog razor would make things faster.
There is no way i am using electric or cut throat razors, electric because they buzz, buzz and take ages to do the same as a wet shave, and cut throat because i more than likely would.

Integral is Santa wolram. He must be. Reminds me of Richard Attenborough's beard in the 1994 Miracle on 34th Street.

Nice beard any way integral. :smile:

Kurdt said:
Integral is Santa wolram. He must be.

Wow so we can all post or present wants lists here?
All i want is a Thruxton Velocette, please.

I had to shave today, my mom said i looked scruffy :cry:

I find shaving annoying too. I only have to shave my face every other day though. I like to be clean shaven. I hate having more than 5:00 shadow (2-day shadow in my case). It just gets too itchy.

I shave once a week. I like a bit of scruff. In winter it can really help keep your face warm.