High School to College: Teacher Recommendations Matter?

In summary, when deciding which teacher to ask for a recommendation for Cornell University, it is important to consider whether the university requires specific subject recommendations. If not, it is best to stick with teachers who know you well, both inside and outside of the classroom, as they are more likely to provide a personalized and genuine recommendation. However, if Cornell does require recommendations from specific subjects, it may be beneficial to ask a science or math teacher if applying to the College of Engineering. Ultimately, it is important to choose a teacher who knows you best and can provide a strong and unique recommendation.
Elbobo
Besides the PE teacher.

I want to major in Engineering or Physics, and I plan on applying to Cornell University. Does it matter which teacher I choose (e.g., precal teacher vs. English teacher)?

Should I just stick to the math/science teachers since it'll show I'm more math/science geared? Or ask any teacher that knows me well and hold my abilities in a positive light?

Physics news on Phys.org

It's possible that Cornell requires a math/science recommendation and a humanities/social sciences recommendation.

If not, stick with teachers who know you well, preferably both inside and outside of the classroom. Does Cornell require you to apply to one of their 5 specific colleges? If so, you may want to get a good recommendation from a science/math teacher assuming that you will apply to the college of engineering.

I think it's best to go with the teachers who know you best unless a teacher of a specific subject is requested. High school teachers often teach many subjects through their careers, even though over the few years that you know them they may seem very specialized.

The teachers who know you best are more likely to include more personal information and write less of a "form letter" for you.

1. How important are teacher recommendations in the college admissions process?

Teacher recommendations can play a significant role in the college admissions process. Admissions officers often use them as a way to gain insight into a student's academic abilities, character, and potential for success in college.

2. Do colleges prefer recommendations from certain subjects or teachers?

While it varies from college to college, most admissions officers prefer recommendations from core academic subjects such as English, math, science, and social studies. They also tend to favor recommendations from teachers who have known the student for a longer period of time and can provide specific examples of their academic accomplishments and personal qualities.

3. How many teacher recommendations should I submit?

Most colleges require two teacher recommendations, but it's always best to check the specific requirements of each college you are applying to. It's also a good idea to choose teachers who can speak to different aspects of your academic and personal strengths.

4. Can I request a specific teacher to write my recommendation?

Yes, most colleges allow students to request a specific teacher to write their recommendation. It's important to choose a teacher who knows you well and can provide a strong, positive recommendation.

5. Should I ask for a recommendation from a teacher I had in my freshman or sophomore year?

It's generally best to choose teachers from your junior or senior year. This allows for a more recent and comprehensive evaluation of your academic abilities and personal qualities. However, if you had a particularly strong relationship with a teacher from a previous year, it may still be appropriate to ask for their recommendation.