PF PHOTO CONTEST - Something old, something new (Jan 24-31)

In summary: This is Quebec City. There is a fine line between the old city and new city. The street goes down to the fort walls, and then as soon as you pass the walls, the new city begins. The building in the center is right after the walls.In summary, the photo shows a street going down to the fort walls, and then as soon as you pass the walls, the new city begins.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Something old, something new
Show me a photo that has an old thing and a new thing as its subjects. Anything you like, and it's your call about what counts as old and new.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is my little brother's daughter (who turns 1 today, incidentally) being held by my father who is 83.

hayleytongue.jpg

Last edited:
cars.jpg

Grandkids learning to "wrench".

http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/images/oldnew.jpg

An old trolley car (tram) built in 1927, followed by a modern light-rail train built in 2007, in Charlotte, North Carolina. The trolley was was in fact the very last of the old-time trolleys to run in Charlotte, in 1938, before they were replaced with buses. It was restored in the 1990s after it was discovered serving as a vacation cottage.

Last edited by a moderator:
hypatia said:
cars.jpg

Grandkids learning to "wrench".

Haha, I remember doing the same thing when I was little...then again once as a toddler I got loose from my parents and by the time they found me I was just about to open up the water line for the toilet. Nice shot.

10ofmhd.jpg

Another view from the 14th story with 300mm tele this time. The old mill, the new mill used to be the biggest of The Netherlands

Last edited:
Baywax, I can't even see your attachment yet, but this is almost certainly a photoshop creation. It has been widely-circulated in these environs for years.

turbo-1 said:
Baywax, I can't even see your attachment yet, but this is almost certainly a photoshop creation. It has been widely-circulated in these environs for years.

NO way!... well, have a look and let me know... bloody hell... my old bass player is still bugging me!

OK... I checked it out in photoshop and I have a feeling it is faked...thanks... its gone!

Totally digging the thread mind you! Thanks again!

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7407/img9878bh7.jpg

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7407/img9878bh7.jpg

Zz.

Is the Cherokee across the street supposed to be the "new"?

baywax said:
OK... I checked it out in photoshop and I have a feeling it is faked...thanks... its gone!

Note rule #7 in the first post.

If it had been your picture to begin with, you wouldn't have had to check it in Photoshop for fakery. Unless you have a very poor memory! :biggrin:

jtbell said:
Note rule #7 in the first post.

If it had been your picture to begin with, you wouldn't have had to check it in Photoshop for fakery. Unless you have a very poor memory! :biggrin:

My extreme bad!:redface:

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/4074/img0152jp4.jpg

This is Quebec City. There is a fine line between the old city and new city. The street goes down to the fort walls, and then as soon as you pass the walls, the new city begins. The building in the center is right after the walls.

Hence, new buildings to old buildings.

JasonRox said:

This is Quebec City. There is a fine line between the old city and new city. The street goes down to the fort walls, and then as soon as you pass the walls, the new city begins. The building in the center is right after the walls.

That place is certainly old and new. I loved Winter Carnival the times I was able to make it up there, though the anti-freeze had something to do with that.

There's a lot to see up there - Montmorency Falls can be beautiful in the winter.

JasonRox said:

I'm not seeing your picture :(

Something broke link Matt. Hopefully he can repair it. It's a good shot.

turbo-1 said:
That place is certainly old and new. I loved Winter Carnival the times I was able to make it up there, though the anti-freeze had something to do with that.

There's a lot to see up there - Montmorency Falls can be beautiful in the winter.

Yeah, in the summer too! They have international firework competitions in Quebec all the time, and they shoot them in front and above the falls. I didn't get to see it this year though.

Also note that the building on the left is the Chateau Frontenac. Look it up if you're not sure what it is.

JasonRox said:
Yeah, in the summer too! They have international firework competitions in Quebec all the time, and they shoot them in front and above the falls. I didn't get to see it this year though.

Also note that the building on the left is the Chateau Frontenac. Look it up if you're not sure what it is.

Bon jour JasonRox!

Viva la Quebec!

Hi again... I'm trying to make up for the lack of diligence I've shown on this thread...

Here's a photo of a 48 year old BC Ferry being steered by someone fairly new to the task.
I took this when the Ferry had about 600 passengers on board plus all the transport trucks and cars in the lower decks. Quite a responsible position for the youngun but... mostly incredible!

Attachments

• bcferry.jpg
    bcferry.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 412
Baywax, can you upload your photo to a site such as www.photobucket.com and then post it here?

Pictures045.jpg

Auburn University Drum Major, and the next generation!

1. What is the theme for the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The theme for the PF PHOTO CONTEST is "Something old, something new". This means that photos should feature a combination of something that represents the past and something that represents the present or future.

2. Can I submit more than one photo for the contest?

Yes, you can submit up to three photos for the contest. However, please make sure that each photo fits the theme and follows the contest guidelines.

3. Is there a prize for the winner of the contest?

Yes, the winner of the PF PHOTO CONTEST will receive a cash prize of $100. The winning photo will also be featured on the PF website and social media pages.

4. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The PF PHOTO CONTEST is open to everyone regardless of age, location, or photography experience. However, employees of PF and their immediate family members are not eligible to participate.

5. How will the winner of the PF PHOTO CONTEST be selected?

The winner of the PF PHOTO CONTEST will be selected by a panel of judges based on creativity, originality, adherence to the theme, and overall impact of the photo. The winner will be announced on February 5th on the PF website and social media pages.