Perpetual motion machines: possible?

In summary: I was so sure. But then I realized... it was just a battery. It had nothing to do with PM. In summary, the universe is not possible to create a perpetual motion machine. Even if we someday produce a machine that appears to do more work than input energy would allow, it is just that we do not fully understand the ultimate source of the energy.

Possible to build them?

• Yes, we should be able to build them

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • No, it is against the laws of energy conservation

Votes: 25 67.6%
  • It may be technically possible, but only in the distant future

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters
I'll do it! I have development, research and manufacturing facilities. I'd be more than happy to develop your prototype!

Engineering news on Phys.org
They say they have done it

This group has done it they say, and are manufacturing home units...check it out - you decide...

http://pesn.com/2004/06/30/6900029PerendevPowerMagneticMotor/

Mystery

This sounds like 1st April...

brewnog said:
I'll do it! I have development, research and manufacturing facilities. I'd be more than happy to develop your prototype!

thanks for your coopration, brewnog

in my country one of ngo is in touch with me.
they assuring me about its secracy.
I think i should faith on them.So i m giving them all the
drawings and taking a chance to develop the prototype.

Sounds like they'll be shutting down the power stations immediately then snpssaini!

60kW of never ending power, initial investment of eur8500? I don't think so!

http://www.nuscam.com/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
cronxeh said:
perpetual motion is impossible. from laws of thermodynamics:
yes. It is not exactly energy conservation involved here.

Except for the :
The design of perpetual motion machine is on the other side
:tongue2:

" No way!"

against the law of conservation of energy...

Perpetual motion is silly. It can't happen.

Also, if we had perpetual motion, and we used it to generate electicity, we could run into a few nasties. For instance, with no energy being used up, the generator will either:

a) Continually output the same amount of energy; or
b) Increase the output of energy as time goes on

If b) happens then we're in trouble. And if a) happens, we're still in trouble. How do you turn the thing off, or start it again?

Some people have voted yes to this poll...

I've just reread the thread, and it seems we're only looking at machines that increase energy output as time goes on. So the machine would eventually break down (due to overheating, etc.) And there's no way you could stop it, because it just keeps getting faster, and the amount of force needed to stop it increases. :eek:

amwbonfire said:
I've just reread the thread, and it seems we're only looking at machines that increase energy output as time goes on. So the machine would eventually break down (due to overheating, etc.) And there's no way you could stop it, because it just keeps getting faster, and the amount of force needed to stop it increases. :eek:
You could always "bleed off" the extra energy - if, for example, the output is 100W more than the input, you can add a resistor (a light bulb) to turn that 100w into heat, bringing the sysem into equilibrium.

Plus, if its over-unity then there is no losses to heat to account for correct? What, your perpetual motion machine isn't a super conducting dynamo extracting energy from a 'vacum'. :smile: If needed, you could always oversize the over-unity to drive a heat pump to extract some of that pesky residual heat, with 1800% efficiency you've got lots of excess energy to play with!

I'd like to see these inventors homes and the autos they drive every day. I'd guess they're hooked up to the power grid and use petro as fuel.

Cliff

What is this thread doing in Engineering (other than provide amusement to some readers)?!? :grumpy:

Didn't I read that there's been a bit of a change in how the site guidelines are implemented here at PF?

Nereid said:
What is this thread doing in Engineering (other than provide amusement to some readers)?!? :grumpy:

Didn't I read that there's been a bit of a change in how the site guidelines are implemented here at PF?
Well, it started as a legitimate discussion of why perpetual motion isn't possible. Its kinda meandered though. But I don't know that the crackpottery level is high enough to close it.

russ_watters said:
You could always "bleed off" the extra energy - if, for example, the output is 100W more than the input, you can add a resistor (a light bulb) to turn that 100w into heat, bringing the sysem into equilibrium.

The energy output is continually increasing. You'd need to keep adding more and more lightbulbs forever...

amwbonfire said:
The energy output is continually increasing. You'd need to keep adding more and more lightbulbs forever...

Take it to Vegas they are always adding light bulbs, it will have perpetual use there.

Impossible?

rdt2 said:
Perpetual motion? No problem!
Perpetual motion machine? No chance!

Man will never reach the moon regardless of all future scientific advances.
-- Dr. Lee De Forest, inventor of the vacuum tube and father of television.

Never say never. Never say impossible. Every one of today's advances in science were all considered "impossible" by the scientific elite of the past. Instead of denying it, why don't you present day scientific elite (geniuses :rofl: ) work on it?

Last edited:
Hmmm... And wasn't it Bill Gates who said we'd never use more than 1Mb for hard drive storage?

Every "impossibility" has it's own obstacles to overcome. Unfortunately, perpetual motion machines have a lot of huge obstacles, including the nature of the universe. When we can overcome that, we can build 'em. :tongue2:

maps said:

Never say never. Never say impossible. Every one of today's advances in science were all considered "impossible" by the scientific elite of the past. Instead of denying it, why don't you present day scientific elite (geniuses :rofl: ) work on it?

Because none of today's scientific advances violate the laws of thermodynamics. PPMs do. You cannot create energy any more than you can lift yourself to the ceiling with your tie.

maps said:

To expand on what enigma said, what you have here is a very common misunderstanding of the difference between science and technology (engineering). Dr. Forest would certainly not have claimed that space travel violated the laws of physics. Same goes for the commonly cited "sound barrier" issue. These and others are engineering problems that many scientists/engineers/inventers never thought we'd solve.

Perpetual motion machines, on the other hand (self-powering machines that produce excess energy forever) directly violate the laws of physics.

A faithful bodyguard for life of mankind----account in the own words of Brown perpetu

Abstract:
Brown perpetual motion machine can be called as the perpetual motion machine of the first category without energy consumption and doing work permanently. There would be no mankind if without them. After reading the article, Maybe you would say, “Yes, indeed !”

TEXT:
Any substances, due to the subtle and inevitable causes in the boundless cosmos, all follow the self-possessed and permanently-existed golden rules to continually move. Inside of this great and exact truth I----a true Brown perpetual motion machine----am included!
Actually, the Brown motion the people at today are familiar with has already been available before Brown, a great scientist in the 19th century, found the motion entitled with his name! Accordingly, people should get to know the true fact of me, the [Brown perpetual motion machine] existing simultaneously with the said motion!
To a gaseous (or liquid) physical isolated system thermally balanced with the outside world: it is an isolated system without exchanging quantity of heat or energy with the outside world while keeping the internal energy unchanged, it is me----Brown perpetual motion machine!
I am able to do work continually for the Brown particles (those suspending in a gas or liquid) getting into the system of mine with the force source from the collision by the countless molecules inside of the system! By contrast to the definition upon the perpetual motion machine of the first category, I am really a thoroughgoing perpetual motion machine, i.e. [ a kind of the machine able to do work permanently without consuming any energy].
Just like the extra-micro car which can safely drive forever, the mileage of every Brown particle inside of the isolated physical system of mine will get quickly increased along with the lapse of time. In case of the measurement of the work I have done for it, then: [time goes ahead without end, so does the work’s growth!]
In case a gas of a dissenting kind gets into some gas groups belonging to mine, I can give effect to have the community of the molecules of such kind of gas dispersed and reduced till the molecules evenly mixed with each other (nitrogen, oxygen etc. in the atmosphere are so mixed).
The same function can also make the molecule community of the solutes in various solutions differentiated and expanded till becoming a solution of an even concentration.
In all, such a truth that I often make the coexistence of many substances to be a harmonious status comes more important than the find-out of the perpetual motion machine and in the world there is a great deal of such a fact as the objective laws bring benefit to mankind in silence while people do not get to know them!
Because of my existence, the people being sunk in sleep will not die from stifling when they are drowned out by the piled carbon dioxide exhaled from themselves.
Because of my existence, anywhere in the evenly proportional atmosphere there is enough oxygen for people to share life.
Because of my existence, the generous sea shows its fairness furthermore (all kinds of the substances inside of it required by mankind are evenly distributed, as: table salt, heavy water, ……).
Because of my existence, numerous harmful substances (small as coal gas leak, big as the hazard biochemical weapon etc.) are lost to sight with their target of attack to wreak havoc.
……….
I am really a natural and worthful [perpetual motion toxic remover] and [perpetual motion material transmitter] !
What is more worth rejoicing is: the effect of the Brown perpetual motion machine can still exist even if in the environment with temperature rising or lowering! Just due to that, I am made able to bring my competences making benefit to mankind and removing numerous dangers into full play all day.
Without me, people would have died before they got to know what is the carbon dioxide, therefore there would be no mankind if without me, which is so clear just as there would be no mankind if without air!
The wonderful arrangement in the universe creation can not be lack of either air or me, mankind started existing and multiplying therefrom with the result in forming the negation towards the perpetual motion machine. Said upon this----such a negated conclusion towards the perpetual motion machine completely comes from myself!
I have never complained the arrangement in the universe creation nor the defect of mankind, because what is the bounden duty of mankind is to seek truth, provided that people could know the truth which brings them some benefits is really a truth, this is no doubt a kind of advance!

Made up upon the oral account of Brown perpetual motion machine.

Brownian motion is not perpetual motion.

I think this thread has run its course, and I'm getting tired of deleting crackpot posts from it. Any objections? Good.

[mod hat]
locks thread
[/mod hat]

<h2>1. Is it possible to create a perpetual motion machine?</h2><p>No, it is not possible to create a perpetual motion machine. The concept of perpetual motion violates the laws of thermodynamics, specifically the first and second laws, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed and that energy will always tend towards a state of disorder. Therefore, a machine that can run indefinitely without an external source of energy is not possible.</p><h2>2. What is a perpetual motion machine?</h2><p>A perpetual motion machine is a hypothetical device that can continue to operate indefinitely without any external source of energy. It would essentially create energy out of nothing, which is not possible according to the laws of physics.</p><h2>3. Have any perpetual motion machines been successfully created?</h2><p>No, there has never been a successful perpetual motion machine. Many people have attempted to create such a machine throughout history, but they have all failed. Any machine claiming to be a perpetual motion machine has either been a hoax or a misinterpretation of how the machine actually works.</p><h2>4. Why do people still try to create perpetual motion machines?</h2><p>People continue to try to create perpetual motion machines because it is an intriguing and alluring concept. The idea of creating infinite energy without any cost is very appealing. However, as scientists, we must rely on the laws of physics and evidence to determine what is possible and what is not.</p><h2>5. Can perpetual motion machines be used as a source of renewable energy?</h2><p>No, perpetual motion machines cannot be used as a source of renewable energy. As mentioned before, they violate the laws of thermodynamics and are not physically possible. However, there are many other renewable energy sources, such as solar, wind, and hydro power, that are viable and sustainable alternatives to traditional fossil fuels.</p>

1. Is it possible to create a perpetual motion machine?

No, it is not possible to create a perpetual motion machine. The concept of perpetual motion violates the laws of thermodynamics, specifically the first and second laws, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed and that energy will always tend towards a state of disorder. Therefore, a machine that can run indefinitely without an external source of energy is not possible.

2. What is a perpetual motion machine?

A perpetual motion machine is a hypothetical device that can continue to operate indefinitely without any external source of energy. It would essentially create energy out of nothing, which is not possible according to the laws of physics.

3. Have any perpetual motion machines been successfully created?

No, there has never been a successful perpetual motion machine. Many people have attempted to create such a machine throughout history, but they have all failed. Any machine claiming to be a perpetual motion machine has either been a hoax or a misinterpretation of how the machine actually works.

4. Why do people still try to create perpetual motion machines?

People continue to try to create perpetual motion machines because it is an intriguing and alluring concept. The idea of creating infinite energy without any cost is very appealing. However, as scientists, we must rely on the laws of physics and evidence to determine what is possible and what is not.

5. Can perpetual motion machines be used as a source of renewable energy?

No, perpetual motion machines cannot be used as a source of renewable energy. As mentioned before, they violate the laws of thermodynamics and are not physically possible. However, there are many other renewable energy sources, such as solar, wind, and hydro power, that are viable and sustainable alternatives to traditional fossil fuels.