Computer modeling of physical systems

In summary, the speaker is considering ways to model physical systems, specifically the response of sound waves to a series of resonators. They mention using a java applet of a ripple tank as an example and express uncertainty about approaching the problem through differential equations or finite element analysis. They suggest simplifying the problem by using a grid and a rule to determine the state of each box in the grid, similar to cellular automata. They ask for advice on how to further investigate this approach, what it is called, and potential challenges such as directionality and isotropy. The listener suggests looking into lattice methods and adaptive mesh refinement, specifically the lattice-boltzmann method for computational fluid dynamics.
TheRealColbert
I am thinking about ways to model physical systems. An example of the type of problem I want to look at would be the response of sound waves to a series of resonators. Here is a java applet of a ripple tank, which is along the lines of what I am thinking of. http://www.falstad.com/ripple/ I expect the things I would like to look at would be intractable from a differential equations approach. Maybe I could do it from a finite element analysis approach, but I think that is beyond my budget, skill and ambition.

So to simplify things, I was wondering if these types of problems can be modeled by creating a series of grids, and making a rule such that each box in the grid uses the state of its neighbors to determine it's own state. Each step in time would allow the wave to "propagate" through the system, and hopefully would exhibit characteristics of the physical system being studied. I think this is kind of like cellular automata. (maybe it IS cellular automata) In any case, what would be the best direction to take to investigate this further? What is it called, and are there key words I could use to search, etc? Is it a dead end?

Some initial problems as I begin to think about it are: How do you deal with the "directionality" of a wave? (ie. if you were modeling a moving ball, you would get stuff flying off everywhere, not a nice, contained moving shape) Also, a square grid isn't isotropic. What problems will that cause when you have a wave or something else going at an angle to the grid.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org

Computer modeling of physical systems is a fascinating and complex field that has numerous applications in various industries. Your idea of using a grid-based approach to model the response of sound waves to resonators is definitely a viable option. This type of modeling, also known as grid-based or lattice-based modeling, is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to simulate complex systems and phenomena.

One of the main advantages of this approach is that it allows for the simulation of non-linear and chaotic systems, which are often difficult to model using traditional mathematical methods. By breaking down the system into smaller grids and applying rules for interactions between neighboring grids, the overall behavior of the system can be predicted over time.

As you mentioned, this type of modeling is similar to cellular automata, which is a computational method for simulating the behavior of complex systems based on simple rules. In fact, many grid-based modeling techniques are inspired by the principles of cellular automata.

In terms of further investigation, you can search for keywords such as "grid-based modeling," "lattice-based modeling," or "cellular automata" to find more information and resources on this topic. You can also explore different software tools and programming languages used for grid-based modeling, such as MATLAB, Python, or NetLogo.

Regarding some potential challenges with this approach, you are right to consider the limitations of a square grid and the issue of directionality in wave propagation. However, these challenges can be addressed by using more advanced techniques, such as adaptive grids or non-uniform grids, and by incorporating specific rules for directional behavior in the model.

In conclusion, computer modeling of physical systems using grid-based approaches is a promising direction for your research. With the right tools and techniques, you can effectively simulate and analyze the response of sound waves to resonators, and potentially discover new insights and solutions to complex problems in this field.

What is computer modeling of physical systems?

Computer modeling of physical systems is the use of computer software to simulate and analyze real-world physical systems. It allows scientists to study complex systems that are difficult or impossible to observe directly, and to make predictions about their behavior.

What types of physical systems can be modeled using computers?

A wide variety of physical systems can be modeled using computers, including systems in physics, chemistry, biology, engineering, and more. Examples include weather patterns, chemical reactions, biological processes, and mechanical structures.

What are the benefits of using computer modeling in scientific research?

Computer modeling offers several benefits in scientific research, such as the ability to simulate complex systems, control variables, and repeat experiments. It also allows for faster data analysis and can reduce costs and risks associated with real-world experiments.

What are some common techniques used in computer modeling of physical systems?

Some common techniques used in computer modeling of physical systems include mathematical equations, algorithms, and simulations. Scientists may also use data from experiments or observations to validate and refine their models.

What are some limitations of computer modeling in scientific research?

While computer modeling can provide valuable insights, it also has some limitations. Models may oversimplify complex systems, leading to inaccurate results. Additionally, models are only as good as the data and assumptions used in their creation, and may not always accurately represent real-world conditions.