Seeking Online Math Tutor for High School Student

In summary, the conversation is about a high school student who is looking for online tutoring in maths, particularly in calculus. The person is recommended a book on real analysis and is advised to also study physics and other related subjects. They are encouraged to read popular science literature to gain a greater understanding of how science is applied to real world problems. The conversation also discusses the difficulty and usefulness of studying certain subjects in high school.
UnknownL
I am not sure if this is the correct place to post so feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
I would like to ask if anybody here would be willing to tutor me online basically like a teacher/student situation and work through maths. I am achieving high in maths at school but want to advance further down the subject. I am not at a very high level so far (starting year 11 this year) and have not started calculus which I would like to start learning soon. I am not sure how it would work but if anyone has any ideas please contact me. I am very keen to get started. Thanks in advance for any input to the situation.

Physics news on Phys.org

I doubt anyone will tutor online. I recommend you don't bother with the whole tutoring thing if you are not struggling with GCSEs. If you want to further your knowledge in maths then get a book out of the library. I recommend that you read about set theory first because it is one of the most fundamental things in maths. You can always ask here if you are struggling with some of the concepts.

As with calculus, I think the way it is introduced in A-levels is horrible. People are being too rushed into it without actually knowing properly what an integral is. If you actually wish to study mathematics then I would recommend Introductory Real Analysis by Kolmogorov. Its a fantastic book and it costs about £10 on Amazon. I will warn you, it may be very tough going for you but it does start with the basics.

from Focus:
If you actually wish to study mathematics then I would recommend Introductory Real Analysis by Kolmogorov. Its a fantastic book and it costs about £10 on Amazon. I will warn you, it may be very tough going for you but it does start with the basics.

Is the book written in English(translated)? He was Russian. What would you consider to be the prerequisites for being able to study from his book?

symbolipoint said:
from Focus:

Is the book written in English(translated)? He was Russian. What would you consider to be the prerequisites for being able to study from his book?

There's a translated copy from Dover, but I'm pretty sure it's a graduate real analysis text, not an undergraduate one.

And OP is still in high school!

Its ok guys, I downloaded a heap of tutorial DVD's from pre-calculus to advanced. If anyone else would like them, I could upload them.

What area of maths are you interested in?

I just find math and science very easy. So why not get ahead to save myself learning time in school if i can pick it up without the need of spending hours in class learning slowly like the rest of the class. I have no idea what i would like to be yet but am currently just doing all math/physics and chemistry hoping ill find something that interests me before university.

You might want to try learning from some of the MIT Open Courseware math or physics classes intended for university freshmen. They have video lectures, problem sets, reading lists, etc all online which are great.

axeae said:
There's a translated copy from Dover, but I'm pretty sure it's a graduate real analysis text, not an undergraduate one.

Nope its undergraduate. It starts from the very basics of set theory and goes into measure theory.

Focus said:
Nope its undergraduate. It starts from the very basics of set theory and goes into measure theory.

I will go on a venture and say that Focus does not go to school(has not gone) in U.S. Because, the book he suggested, doesn't look typical for an undergraduate level real analysis in U.S; It looks more advanced than what is usually thought of as an undergraduate real analysis textbook. But yes, it is an undergraduate book for almost all universities in Europe.

UnknownL said:
I just find math and science very easy. So why not get ahead to save myself learning time in school if i can pick it up without the need of spending hours in class learning slowly like the rest of the class. I have no idea what i would like to be yet but am currently just doing all math/physics and chemistry hoping ill find something that interests me before university.

That's a good attitude. Even while at high school it is not difficult to study the math subjects calculus, linear algebra, complex analysis, functional analysis, topology, measure theory, differential geometry. You can also study the physics subjects Lagrangian mechanics, special relativity, quantum physics, general relativity.

UnknownL said:

It's a good attitiude. If you're still considering what you'd like to study further in the future, you should even have a look at popular science literature - that is to say, mainstream science books and accessible periodicals like New Scientist, Astronomy Now etc. You won't understand everything that's mentioned in things like that, but when I was still in school I always found it exciting to know how science is currently being applied to real problems.

UnknownL said:

You have plenty of time to decide but here is a general split of the fields. I don't know much about chemistry so I'll only mention maths and physics. Maths is all about proofs, real maths vastly differs from what people study in school. Maths in school is supposed to be general so most people going into finance, science, economics etc. can use it. Real maths is more about understanding the underlying structure of things and proving things that other people take for granted.

Physics is more about problem solving rather than proving. Its more about specifying structures that agree with real life. Mathematics likes to generalise more. There is of course a cross over, it isn't really black and white, but mathematicians usually loose touch with reality :biggrin:

sutupidmath said:
I will go on a venture and say that Focus does not go to school(has not gone) in U.S. Because, the book he suggested, doesn't look typical for an undergraduate level real analysis in U.S; It looks more advanced than what is usually thought of as an undergraduate real analysis textbook. But yes, it is an undergraduate book for almost all universities in Europe.

Yes you are correct. I am not that aware of the American education system. The book however is readable by anyone who has basic knowledge in maths, I may be stretching the definition of readable here, it gets very tough very quickly. I recommended the book because the libraries here (I'm not sure about America) do not have any books on mathematics, I mean proper books (not general science books). The Kolmogorov book is worth its weight in gold. Its the best bargain you will get.

Having bought Kolmogorov's book in high school, it's definitely not appropriate for what the OP wants. While it technically contains all the details that you need, it requires a level of mathematical maturity that few people will have before going to university. I was far better prepared than most people for university level math at the end of high school, and still couldn't get past the first two chapters before losing myself.

I can provide others with links to the tutorials I got. They are basically just a guy with a white board explaining. Each goes for approximately an hour. You need a good grasp on maths concepts as well as basic algebra. They are all subjects which you will need before starting calculus. I am currently downloading them...

The pack which I got contains..

01. Complex Numbers.avi
02. Exponential Functions.avi
03. Logarithmic Functions.avi
04. Solving Exponential and Logarithmic Equations.avi
05. Angles.avi
06. Finding Trig Functions Using Triangles.avi
07. Finding Trig Functions Using The Unit Circle.avi
08. Graphing Trigonometric Functions.avi
09. Trigonometric Identities.avi

I know that i desperately wanted to advance my learning so i am assuming there is others. So i'd like to help them out because this is exactally what i was looking for.

Bah, most of the topics in those videos will not be extremely helpful in a basic calculus course. I suggest looking at wikipedia articles on 02, 03, 09 and maybe 08.

A good precalculus course assumes familiarity with 01-05. While trig is important, you really only need to know the basics, along with one trig identity. In terms of preparing for calculus, precalculus is good for training in algebra.

Wikipedia is extremely helpful. This link http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Calculus is probably better than some calculus textbooks out there.

1. What are the qualifications of an online math tutor for high school students?

An online math tutor for high school students should have a strong background in mathematics, preferably a degree in math or a related field. They should also have experience working with high school students and a good understanding of the curriculum and standards for high school math classes.

2. How can I find a reliable online math tutor for my high school student?

There are several ways to find a reliable online math tutor for your high school student. You can ask for recommendations from other parents or teachers, search for tutoring agencies that specialize in math, or use online platforms that connect students with qualified tutors.

3. How much does it cost to hire an online math tutor for a high school student?

The cost of hiring an online math tutor for a high school student can vary depending on the tutor's qualifications and experience, as well as the platform or agency used. On average, it can range from $30 to $60 per hour. Some tutors may also offer package deals or discounts for multiple sessions.

4. Can an online math tutor effectively teach a high school student compared to in-person tutoring?

Yes, an online math tutor can be just as effective as in-person tutoring. With the use of video conferencing and interactive tools, online tutors can provide personalized instruction and engage with the student in real-time. However, it may be important to choose a tutor who has experience with online teaching and is skilled at using technology to enhance the learning experience.

5. How often should my high school student meet with an online math tutor?

The frequency of online math tutoring sessions for high school students can vary depending on the student's needs and goals. Some students may benefit from weekly sessions, while others may only need occasional help. It is important to discuss this with the tutor and come up with a schedule that works best for the student.