Question on normal boiling point and enthelpy of vaporization

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab experiment where the enthalpy of vaporization for water was calculated using a graph and formula. There is confusion about finding the normal boiling point of water and the accuracy of the calculations. The conversation concludes with a recommendation to clarify the formula with the professor and a question about the correctness of the enthalpy of vaporization.
StephenDoty
Hello all

I performed a lab where we put a graduated cylinder filled to 90% with water upside down in a large beaker filled with water and measured the volume of the air bubble inside the graduated cylinder at different temperatures. When I graphed Ln(PH20) vs. 1/T I got a slope of -10412. Multiply this by -8.314 and you get the enthalpy of vaporization, which was -10412*-8.314=86565.368 for me. Is this right??
Using the enthalpy of vaporization how do I find the normal boiling point of water? I do not understand how to use the formula ln(P2/P1) =-Hvap/R * ((1/T2)-(1/T1)) to find the normal boiling point of water. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached the graph from the experiment. Please let me know if you guys want to see all of the data.

Thanks so much everyone.
Stephen

Attachments

• enthalpy of vaporization graph.jpg
    enthalpy of vaporization graph.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 638
Physics news on Phys.org
Boiling occurs when the partial pressure of a material equals the ambient pressure. Does this help?

EDIT: Hey, watch your significant figures; I doubt you measured volume to 7 decimal places!

if both pressures are the same then ln(P2/P1) in the formula ln(P2/P1)=(-Hvap/R)*((1/T2)-(1/T1)) would be zero and when finding the temperature T=(-hvap/R)*(1/ln(P)) ln(P) would equal ln(1) thus there would be a zero in the denominator. So how would that work?

Thanks for the help.
Stephen

How are you deriving T=(-hvap/R)*(1/ln(P))?

My professor wrote ln(P)=(-Hvap/R)*(1/T)
on my paper then I just solved for T.

Is this is not the correct formula to find the normal boiling point? What is? Oh, and does my Hvap look ok?

Thanks for all of the help. I appreciate it.
Stephen

I'd ask your professor where this equation comes from. I'm not sure how one can take the logarithm of 1 atm, for example (i.e., a number with units).

What is the normal boiling point?

The normal boiling point is the temperature at which a substance changes from a liquid to a gas at atmospheric pressure.

How is the normal boiling point determined?

The normal boiling point is determined by measuring the temperature at which the vapor pressure of a liquid is equal to the atmospheric pressure.

What factors affect the normal boiling point?

The normal boiling point is primarily affected by the intermolecular forces between molecules, the mass of the molecules, and the atmospheric pressure.

What is the significance of the normal boiling point?

The normal boiling point is an important physical property used to identify and classify substances. It also plays a role in various industrial processes, such as distillation and evaporation.

What is the enthalpy of vaporization?

The enthalpy of vaporization is the amount of energy required to convert a substance from a liquid to a gas at its boiling point. It is a measure of the strength of intermolecular forces in a substance.