Thermodynamics Homework: Entropy Change, Phase Equilibrium & More

In summary: If you could find the condition for equilibrium, you would be able to find the temperature and pressure at which equilibrium is achieved.
senan

Homework Statement

(1a) What are the total change in energy and entropy if 250 g of water at 20◦C is heated
and vaporised to yield 250 g of steam, all at atmospheric pressure?

(1b) Find the change in the entropy of 250 g of liquid water at its boiling point when it is
vaporised at a pressure of 8 atm. Give a brief physical explanation for how this entropy
change compares with the entropy change for vaporisation at 1 atm pressure.

(1c) We can allow for a possible transition between two phases of a substance by adding
the term +μdN in the fundamental thermodynamic relation for dE. Derive the condition
for equilibrium between two phases at a fixed temperature and pressure.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1(a) S2-S1 = mC Integral form T1 to T2 of (dT/T) + Latent heat of transformation/373.15K

The latent heat wasn't given in the question so I'm wondering how to get around using it

1(b)

i was thinking of using S2-S1 = (1/T) integral from 1 to 2 of PdV but i can't figure how to eliminate the volume

1(c)
i don't have anything for this

Physics news on Phys.org
senan said:

Homework Statement

(1a) What are the total change in energy and entropy if 250 g of water at 20◦C is heated
and vaporised to yield 250 g of steam, all at atmospheric pressure?

(1b) Find the change in the entropy of 250 g of liquid water at its boiling point when it is
vaporised at a pressure of 8 atm. Give a brief physical explanation for how this entropy
change compares with the entropy change for vaporisation at 1 atm pressure.

(1c) We can allow for a possible transition between two phases of a substance by adding
the term +μdN in the fundamental thermodynamic relation for dE. Derive the condition
for equilibrium between two phases at a fixed temperature and pressure.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1(a) S2-S1 = mC Integral form T1 to T2 of (dT/T) + Latent heat of transformation/373.15K

The latent heat wasn't given in the question so I'm wondering how to get around using it

1(b)

i was thinking of using S2-S1 = (1/T) integral from 1 to 2 of PdV but i can't figure how to eliminate the volume

1(c)
i don't have anything for this
Is one familiar with steam tables in which properties such as specific enthalpy and specfic entropy are given as functions of pressure and temperature?

For water properties at 1 atm (1 bar) please see -
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/phase.html#c1

In part a, the liquid is subcooled with respect to saturation conditions. The liquid must be increased from 20°C to 100°C, and then the liquid changes phase to vapor at constant pressure.

Welcome to PF, senan!

1(a). You're going to have to look up the enthalpy of vaporization (along with the heat capacity).

1(b). How about using the same equation as in 1(a), adjusted to the new conditions?

1(c). The fundamental statement of equilibrium is [itex]dS=0[/itex]. Try to get there. Note that you'll have a [itex]\mu\,dN[/itex] term for each phase, with [itex]dN_1=-dN_2[/itex] (because any matter that leaves one phase joins the other).

1. What is the definition of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of heat and its relationship to energy and work.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that describe how energy behaves in a system. There are four laws: the zeroth law, the first law, the second law, and the third law.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature in thermodynamics?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a system.

4. How does thermodynamics apply to everyday life?

Thermodynamics has many real-world applications, such as in the design of engines, refrigerators, and air conditioners. It also helps us understand and predict how different materials and substances will behave under different conditions.

5. What are some common examples of thermodynamic processes?

Some common examples of thermodynamic processes include heating and cooling, phase changes (such as melting and boiling), and chemical reactions. Other examples include adiabatic processes (where no heat is exchanged with the surroundings) and isothermal processes (where the temperature remains constant).