Solving Problems in Engineering Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discussed the difference in technology and resources for teaching engineering mechanics between a developing country and a Western country. The use of vector notation, particularly through the use of unit vectors i, j, and k, was highlighted as a common method in engineering curriculum, but it was noted that computer integration is not always available in developing countries. The conversation also touched on the history of the use of vector notation and its relationship to computer technology.
RTFVerterra
Hello guys, I am from the Philippines and I am teaching the subject Engineering Mechanics on one of the colleges in our province. As I am from a developing country our technology are far behind that of the Western.

As of engineering curriculum, most of us are using the component method of dealing with forces in engineering mechanics. I have this book of Pytel and Kiusalaas and the authors emphasizes the use of rectangular representation of vectors, the method that used the unit vector i, j, and k. I understand the power of this approach if coupled with computer but most of our colleges made computer integration only an option (not funded).

I just want to ask the status of this subject in your country, how the program is integrated with the use of computer software. Is there a computer lab time for it, or just leave (let) the student acquire their own software. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is no special software.

If you orient the i, j, k axes properly, it is the same as the component method --- normal and parallel.

The use of vector notation, particularly through the use of unit vectors i, j, and k, seemed to spread rapidly in the US in the very late 1950's. A lot of this was the American response to the Russian Sputnik in October, 1957, and the fear, "Oh, we are behind!" This was what I was taught in college in 1958.

In fact, however, the use of vector components expressed in matrix form, as opposed to vector notation, greatly facilitates the application of computers for executing the computations. As a result, today I rarely use vector notation, but use matrices on a daily basis because I want the computer to crunch the numbers for me.

1. What is engineering mechanics?

Engineering mechanics is a branch of engineering that applies the principles of physics and mathematics to analyze and solve problems related to the behavior of structures, machines, and systems.

2. What are the key steps in solving problems in engineering mechanics?

The key steps in solving problems in engineering mechanics include identifying the problem, defining the system and its boundary conditions, drawing free-body diagrams, applying equations and principles of mechanics, and checking the solution for accuracy.

3. What are some common challenges in solving problems in engineering mechanics?

Some common challenges in solving problems in engineering mechanics include dealing with complex and non-ideal systems, accounting for various forces and their interactions, and interpreting and applying equations correctly.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in engineering mechanics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in engineering mechanics, you can practice regularly, break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, and seek help from peers or instructors when needed. It also helps to have a solid understanding of fundamental concepts and equations.

5. What are some real-world applications of engineering mechanics?

Engineering mechanics has numerous real-world applications, including designing and analyzing structures such as bridges, buildings, and vehicles, developing machinery and equipment, and understanding the behavior of natural phenomena like earthquakes and fluid flow.